Abandoned Castle

Dragongrief

Explorer
I'm working on the adventure for the next time I DM, but I'm having trouble deciding what creatures/being to place in the castle.

BACKGROUND -- Duntrune Castle (Last Light)
The castle was built during an ancient war between all of existance and a greater "deity" (godlike in power but not actually a god) and his servants (also godlike in power, but much lower than him). The castle was built by a forgotten race for the forces of light and was the only one remaining when the war ended. After the war, people began to leave the castle to rebuild elsewhere, eventually vacating the castle completely.

--Flash forward ~2000 years--

The castle is still considered abandoned. Most people won't go near it due to rumors about it being haunted (it isn't). It's still in decent condition due to the craftsmanship of it's builders (think even better stonework than a master dwarven mason). It's considered a partially consencrated area (no free-willed undead/fiends would stay long). Most of the deities who were worshiped during the castle's time have also been forgotten (the battle drained much of their power or they sacrificed themselves in some way-- imprisoning themselves to imprison the evil being's servants).

CURRENT CAMPAIGN
The Characters
Gregor Dwarven war-priest who has been charged by Moradin to seek out the secrets of the ancient gods (Moradin is one of the original deities from the time of the war, but can't remember anything about it other than there's something he should know but doesn't).

Myev Half-orc warrior who has recently devoted herself to one of the ancient deities, which they restored a major temple of.

Primera Elven psionic warrior. Princess of the elven kingdom who's ancestor's ignorance and arrogance released the ancient evil.

Opalleon Human minstral. Best support character in the group. Can inspire, heal and is the groups best archer.

Loka Human merchant. The groups leader whenever the player shows up.

Nagel Human dragoon. Newest member of the group. Has a tendency to be very straight-forward and blunt about his opinions.

There will likely be one more character when we play next, but I've no idea what.

All the characters are currently 8th level.

The monsters/creatures I've been considering are: Ankheg (on the way there or just outside), Dire Rat, Ettin, Gargoyle, and some normal animals.

There is also a Pale Master who the group has encountered before who may make an appearance (if he does then there's a reason low level undead would be around). He isn't truely an enemy, but the group hasn't had reason to think otherwise yet.

Does anyone have any ideas about what othe kinds of creatures might be there? Or is there anything that someone would like clarified/explained more?

Thank you for any help.

Side note:
If there is anyone who's been around since the first few incarnations of the boards (Eric, PirateCat,...) who would like to help me create portfolios for some of the Pantheon members (FH is the deity that Myev now worships - under the name of Selune), I would appreciate any help on that as well.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Is this castle supposed to be a giant dungeon? Who is defending it? Are there many things living inside, or just a few? What is the atmosphere like? How long will the PCs explore before they begin to discover their goal? Do they have more than one goal?

Your planned encounters sound very easy and insignificant for an eighth level party, especially a fairly large group.

How about if some of those captured evil creatures were still bound in the castle somewhere? You say it is at least partly consecrated. What if that consecration were somehow broken, either by an evil being deliberately, or by the PCs by accident?

Possibly some evil being might try to use the party to cause them to break the consecration so he/she/it could get into the castle and release the bound evil spirits/gods. Possibly this could bring back a rush of Moradin's memories, and he then could ask the PC's to rebind the evil one(s).

Gilladian

Kryndal Levik

First Post
I agree with Gilladian's ideas; his comments gave me an idea, as well. With some modification, you could easily convert the main location in "The Banewarrens" into your abandoned castle. If you're not familiar with the adventure, the Banewarrens is a series of vaults in which evil/cursed artifacts, items, etc. are locked. You'd have to change the history a bit, but it could work...

Dragongrief

Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

The castle is a large two level complex, surface level and one basement level, the surface being about 74x50 squares area. It's "consencrated" by association with many powerful (high epic level) beings of good, rather than by any deliberate action.

The current "defenders" of the castle will be whoever has inhabitted and managed to keep it thus far (no solid plans yet, this is the main thing I'm asking for ideas on)

The castle isn't actually a planned encounter in the normal use of the term... some members of the group went out looking for rumors, the castle is one of the two they decided to look into (farm animal disappearances was the other, which they took care of last session).

There are two (newly met) NPC friends of the group researching the history of the castle, which will provide them with some of the more common knowledge.

I was thinking of making this more of a discovery-type adventure, with creatures added in to keep them on their toes and keep it a little realistic (no vacuum isolating the castle). The creatures that I do put in I was planning to give better tactics to as opposed to higher CR (they went up against hook horrors earlier - CR 6 my ___).

Also, if they clear out whatever ends up in the castle, they may claim it if they wish, as noone holds any deed for it or the land around it.

I like the idea one something being locked up and an evil being trying to trick them into openning the seals (seals which only a true-hearted being could get past?).

I already know which of the Evils will be released first. I'm thinking when they hit around 10th... otherwise if they charge (fairly likely) they might not have time to retreat once they realize they can't take it out. It also shouldn't be difficult to get them there, as they've recently aquired several contacts in the area.

Thank you both again for the responses. Hopefully this has answered your questions (or at least the major ones), and I would appreciate any further ideas.

Kryndal Levik

First Post
I have a few suggestions, but one quick question first- are the "defenders" of the castle good, evil, or neutral? It sounds like you're planning on having some evil "squatters" there, but I want to make sure that's your intent...

Dragongrief

Explorer
Update

I've decided on a few things... as well as found out what new characters are/may be joining the group.

There may be two new characters:

- a "Weather Mage" who is incompetent at his chosen profession, but is good at charm-type spells. (waiting on background so i can try to fit him in)

- a human "tank" who comes from a mercenary background. (player may or may not show, as we have trouble reaching him)

The main purposes of the castle are 1) to up the wealth level of the party (they average a little over 10,000gp each I believe, with one being under 5,000), 2) to make the characters (and players) think and work together, and 3) add some plot history/elements.

- The Pale Master, assumed to be the BBEG by at least one of the 3 characters who met him, will be in the basement of the castle. He is there looking for information and will not fight unless forced to.
- If the tank's player is there, he will have been hired as a bodyguard, but told that the group will be arriving and asked to accompany them (where the PM will be there are no wandering monsters/evil beings).
- Some of the areas will be only be accesible to beings with a certain level of "goodness" (one will be an altar/forge-type area that will improve the armor of two of the characters).
- The upper areas will be inhabited by something(s)/someone that isn't friendly.

Possibilities:
- An evil being/item contained in one of the areas that is trying to escape (as Kryndal and Gilladian suggested).
- Some sort of phantasm test of morals for the characters (together and/or separate from each other).

My players: don't read the rest of this post.
Info on the Pale Master:
- Is known to three of the characters (Myev, Opal, and Primera).
- Is also searching for the lost gods.
- Was cast out of Primera's country as a dark elf for disagreeing with the ruling house (he realized a ritual they wanted to do didn't do what they thought).
- He also knows more of that country's history than most people (that they used to be Avariel and were cast down for their arrogance).
- Is, in his own way, trying to help the characters.

I would still appreciate any comments on current inhabitants of the castle.

gpetruc

First Post
I already know which of the Evils will be released first. I'm thinking when they hit around 10th... otherwise if they charge (fairly likely) they might not have time to retreat once they realize they can't take it out. It also shouldn't be difficult to get them there, as they've recently aquired several contacts in the area.

You could place some big evil thereso that the players have to run away ... fleeing in a large, unknown ancient building while being pursued by some evil (and possibly really scary) critter could be cool, expecially if you leave multiple wayouts and possiblities for clever tactics (for example to gain more time, or to distract pursuers and lure them on a false track).

For example in the castle there could be some demons/devils/other outsiders that can be killed only under some circumstances (but they aren't too dangerous for the rest, just scary): maybe during the night they have regeneration 10 while during the day no; or the characters need to perform some ritual before like opening a seal in some hidden part of the castle to allow the hallowing to expand also in the part where the demons are.

The PCs will find out, will have to run away, find the way to be able to kill the evil and then get in again (maybe in secret because until the seal isn't broken the demons are still invulnerable; some PCs could create a divesion and the others go in another way, or similar things)

Maybe the Pale Master is the one that knows when the demons are vulnerable.

Considering that you have at least 6 players you could have scenes where they are split in different groups, then regather and so on, giving wider strategic options

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases