• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Score Adjustments

For Basic D&D (Moldvay, etc.), is there any point to increasing a character's ability score (via the ability adjustment rules--subtract 2 from some other ability to increase by 1 the prime requisite score) within the same range? For example, is there any point to increasing a character's STR from 10 to 12?

pemerton

Legend
I did not realize that was an option with B/X D&D. Perhaps I should read the Expert Rules.
There is nothing analogous to 3E, 4e and 5e ability-boosts-with-level. But there can be magic pools, magic items etc that change ability scores.

Also, some action resolution in B/X involves rolling under a stat (a precursor to DSG/WSG/2nd ed non-weapon prof mechanics), which can give a reason to favour a higher stat within a bonus range.

Ultramegolas

First Post
It's an option to help the player get a bigger prime requisite to either meet the requirement of a chosen class or get that tasty XP bonus.

Also, some action resolution in B/X involves rolling under a stat (a precursor to DSG/WSG/2nd ed non-weapon prof mechanics), which can give a reason to favour a higher stat within a bonus range.

This one can be fairly important, especially with scores that fall between 9 and 12 and otherwise give no tangible bonus to anything. The difference between having an unmodified 45% and 60% chance to succeed at something is pretty major especially over the course of many rolls.

Wik

First Post
It's also good as a defensive measure. A stat of 10 is better than 9 simply because at some point, you could get a 1 point level drain, and it's better to stay in your current category. I had a thief that got dropped from 12 int to 9 int... and was super glad that I hadn't lost anything as a result.

Those magic pools tend to crop up in BECMI...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads