• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ability Score Increases

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Okay. A sharp disincentive to multiclass. Of course, I have faith that my fellow gamers will have an FAQ out any day now on how to multiclass without hosing yourself. I mean, just because the system was set up by professional game designers doesn't mean somebody can't exploit it to hell and gone.

I myself am above that sort of thing, of course. I have no respect for anybody who can't handle a whole 20 levels of bard.

Multiclassing is generally bad (in the mechanical sense) before level 5 because it delays your level 5 features which are typically quite powerful. After level 5 it's probably a good idea mechanical to think about it with some classes though it still delays your powerful level 11 feature. After level 11 most classes except full casters have a number of solid multiclass options. You probably won't see much play above level 11. So I'd say multiclass after level 5 if you are wanting the option for mechanical power. There's plenty of non-power reasons to multiclass though.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Question. Is there a way in the 5e to earn ability points through potions, items, gear, or some form of reward or spell? I know ability scores can be improved through leveling up a class, but from what I’ve seen so far that there’s nothing in the rules saying you can’t earn it another way. So for those more experienced than I in D&D I ask is it possible to earn ability points without having to level your class up?

The Belt of Dwarvenkind grants a +2 bonus to constitution (with a cap of 20) while you are wearing it and are attuned to it. Mechanically this is identical to an ability score increase you would get by levelling. It's existence could set a precedent to create similar home brew items that raise the other stats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads