D&D 5E Aboleth Multiattack question

Nickolaidas

Explorer
Hey, guys.

The MM says that the Aboleth's Multiattack ability means it gets three tentacle attacks per round, but it doesn't mention its tail attack. Does the tail attack replace one of the tentacle attacks, all the tentacle attacks, or does it stack - essentially giving the Aboleth a total of four melee attacks per round?

feartheminotaur

First Post
I take that as "either/or" - the aboleth can make a multiattack with its action (3 tentacles) or it can make an attack with its action (one tentacle, tail, enslave, whatever).

Illithidbix

Explorer
On the Aboleth's turn, it can move, make an action, and make a maximum of one bonus action (if it has any relevent ones... I don't think it does).
It also has one Reaction to use on it's turn or another creature's turn.

Multiattack is an action, that it can choose on it's turn. - Doing so lets it attack with it's tentacles three times. - Note it specifically states "The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks", so it can't use a tail attack if it use it's multiattack.

If it makes an Opportunity Attack then it can choose to use either a single tentacle attack OR it's tail attack.
- Because it's a Reaction, not an action on it's turn, it can't use Multiattack.

The main point of the Tail attack is that it is listed as a Legendary Action.
Legendary actions are special actions that are not actions used on their turn, bonus actions or even reaction. They're a special type of action that players don't get access to, and meant to enable a single monster to fight a party.
Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The aboleth regains spent legendary actions at the start of it's turn.
So the tail attack can be used at the end of a player's turn.

Last edited:

Illithidbix

Explorer
I don't remember looking at the Aboleth, but if it's anything like a dragon, then it only gets the tail attack as a legendary action.

I'm pretty sure an aboleth or dragon could, in theory *choose* to use it's tail attack instead of a multiattack as it's action on it's turn
Because both list a tail attack under "Actions"
... it would just be a bit weird if they chose to do so instead of multiattack which seems inherently better.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases