About EN Publishing Adventure Paths

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have some exciting upcoming news for fans of adventure paths. While there is an abundance of 3E and Pathfinder adventure path material, there isn't much for 4E. So here's a quick note on what to expect in the next year for EN World subscribers:
  • wotbs_smilie.jpg
    War of the Burning Sky
    is nearing its conclusion. We recently released the 9th adventure, The Festival of Dreams, to EN World subscribers, and there are three adventures left in the saga. Expect these soon!
  • zeit_smilie.jpg
    Our next adventure path, ZEITGEIST, is coming along very nicely. We're busy with art and cartography at the moment, and we will have a flash new website for the series very soon. We expect the first part of this adventure path to be available to EN World subscribers this coming Spring, with regular installments following.
  • Finally, we have a top-secret new adventure path planned, based on a licensed property. It's too early to say anything yet - we expect to be signing licenses very soon - but it's a little different to anything you've seen from 4E so far in that it's a futuristic sci-fi space opera style setting (no, not that one!), rather than a fantasy one. We're very excited about this challenge, and I'll tell you more as soon as we can.
In short, we have big plans and TONS of content coming for EN World subscribers! But beware - in order to fund all this exciting but very expensive stuff, the subscription price will be rising very soon. Right now it's $3 a month, and the increase will NOT apply to existing subscribers at the time, so make sure you get in before it goes up!

Sentack

First Post
I'm new here so do excuse me if this should be obvious but I have to ask. Does this price cover current subscribers who renew their current subscription or just new subscribers who start with a new account?

I don't mind really, I like the content on the site, I just want to know for sure what's up.

I do heavily support more 4e content. I'm liking WotBS and look forward to ZEITGEIST.

kinem

Adventurer
There are 2 things that disturb me about this:

- The new stuff is all 4e, so it's nothing I can use, and anyone who thinks like me is in the same boat.

- New subscribers (and to a lesser extent all subscribers) will be forced to subsidize 4e content even if they would never consider using it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Heh - well, if we had the resources we'd happily produce adventure paths for every RPG system out there, but that's not feasible. We have to pick one and go for it - and 3.5 stuff is so well served in the marketplace that we'd struggle to sell it.

I am considering moving the APs to silver subscribers, so that those who just want the search feature etc. can just stick with the copper subscription. That way you're not "forced" to buy a 4E AP. But I haven't fully decided yet.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
That sounds like a sensible option, as a Pathfinder player we are very well served with Adventure Paths by Paizo. So while I would of course prefer a PF AP I think that is probably a sensible decision.

I will also admit that I would feel a bit happier - because I am a git apparently :p - if it was changed to being only for silver subscribers. But I really would not mind either way.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Well its kinda illogical I realize, but if someone is getting better value than me for the same price that makes me feel slightly cheated - I realize that intellectually it ought not to make a difference, but I cannot seem to translate that to how I actually feel irritatingly. *shrugs*

It makes sense to me that there would be a different tier for those who want to support the site but are not interested in the APs though.

Sentack

First Post
I wouldn't be happy if they took away the current AP's and put them silver only, but if future AP's were silver only, I could understand that.

I think really the only way to make everyone happy would be the inclusion of additional micropayments. You like Zeitgeist and want to see more of it, you pay the extra 50 cents a month to subscribe to the Zeitgeist. If the developers start promoting a new 3.5 product and you rather see that, you chip in your 50 cents there instead.

That has it's own large laundry list of issues but it's the only fair way I can see.

But I support more 4e content. I feel that 4e lacks modules and I'm interest in helping support the development of more high quality content. I prefer fantasy but I can be open to other genres, like the sci-fi setting that's been mentioned as of late.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Finally, we have a top-secret new adventure path planned, based on a licensed property. It's too early to say anything yet - we expect to be signing licenses very soon - but it's a little different to anything you've seen from 4E so far in that it's a futuristic sci-fi space opera style setting (no, not that one!), rather than a fantasy one. We're very excited about this challenge, and I'll tell you more as soon as we can.

While I expect this to be Spelljammer, or a TV show setting, I'm going to hold out hope that it's Star*Drive.

Heh - well, if we had the resources we'd happily produce adventure paths for every RPG system out there, but that's not feasible. We have to pick one and go for it - and 3.5 stuff is so well served in the marketplace that we'd struggle to sell it.

Not to mention that the encounter design for 3.5/Pathfinder and 4E is pretty different. I'd rather see one thing done very well than two things done well. Especially in this case, where there's a distinct lack of 4E adventure material.

That said, even though I'm a 4E player, I agree with kinem's point. Being a community supporter and buying 4E material should be separate, even if they both end up supporting the site.

The one caveat I would make is that moving all of WotBS/Zeitgeist/Sci-Fi to Silver will certainly upset some people. I don't know if this is something you would consider, but one option is to leave WotBS (which is 3.5 and 4E) on Copper, and move Zeitgeist/Sci-Fi (4E only) to Silver.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I expect this to be Spelljammer, or a TV show setting, I'm going to hold out hope that it's Star*Drive.

None of the above. I can tell you it's based on a novel. I can't announce anything for definite until the contract is signed, though (which I hope will happen in the next few days).

The one caveat I would make is that moving all of WotBS/Zeitgeist/Sci-Fi to Silver will certainly upset some people. I don't know if this is something you would consider, but one option is to leave WotBS (which is 3.5 and 4E) on Copper, and move Zeitgeist/Sci-Fi (4E only) to Silver.

Oh, if you've been getting WotBS for a $3 subscription, we're not going to bait-and-switch and change that partway through!

Last edited:

Remove ads