D&D 5E Above VTT and D&D Beyond

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
I thought I'd mention this for those that are interested in VTTs. This is actually a Chrome extension (free). With it, as GM, you get a button on your campaign page in D&D Beyond to open a VTT. It has full access to the character sheets, D&D Beyond dice roller, etc. It has the basics, fog, ability to import maps, measuring tool, etc. It doesn't have nearly the abilities of Foundry or Roll20, but if you don't need or want all the bells & whistles, this is really fast and easy to use. As a player, you join the VTT the GM opened. Really fast and easy to use. Just came across it, so thought I'd share.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I presume the players need to have the extension installed as well? So it only works if everyone is using a computer, not using mobile? I've been using Owlbear, but AboveVTT sounds interesting.

darjr

I crit!
yea, you'll need the extension installed. But I'm not sure if it's computer only. I think so. Huh? It is in javascript and all the code is open, I wan't to try hacking it. Maybe add Dyson Logo's public site as a default location or a way to add personal default locations.

Stormonu

Legend
As a supplement, "Beyond 20" is an extension that will pass data & rolls from Beyond into roll20, Foundry, Astral Tabletop and Discord. Works for Firefox and Chrome.

Jaeger

That someone better
I’m actually surprised WOTC hasn’t picked an exclusive VTT yet for D&D.

But given their past track record with digital stuff I can understand the conservative approach they are using.

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
As a supplement, "Beyond 20" is an extension that will pass data & rolls from Beyond into roll20, Foundry, Astral Tabletop and Discord. Works for Firefox and Chrome.

I use Beyond 20 with Foundry. Frankly, though, Foundry is way overkill for what I need most of the time. It's great for people that really want all the options and added functionality, but I just want something simple.

MarkB

Legend
I’m actually surprised WOTC hasn’t picked an exclusive VTT yet for D&D.

But given their past track record with digital stuff I can understand the conservative approach they are using.
"Exclusive" isn't their marketing model these days. By selling their products on multiple VTTs' marketplaces they let players choose the toolset they're most comfortable with, and still make a profit.

Remove ads