D&D 5E Acererak's Tomb of Horrors is in Chult

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I'm currently reading RA Salvatore's latest Drizzt novel, Hero, and it has some interesting information about Acererak that might be relevant to upcoming APs.

Basically, the book's villainess received a Mirror of Life-Trapping from Acererak. The frame is shaped like the green-devil faces from Tomb of Horrors. Aererak gave the mirror to her so that she could fill it with trapped souls then return it to his tomb, so Acererak could feed on the prisoners. Acererak, we're told, is "a powerful lich who resides in a tomb in a land you call Chult."

Considering Dungeonology also mentions Acererak and the Tomb of Horrors, I think we can anticipate a Tomb of Horrors-inspired AP in the near future. There's also the fact that Volo's Guide includes a number of new dinosaurs, paving the way for a Chult-based adventure.

Of course, we also know from Storm King's Thunder that Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter play a role in an upcoming adventure. Perhaps they are one and the same.

Last edited:

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Greyhawk was consumed by that one wizard who ended up reaching a ridiculously high level and having the gods toil away in his salt mines. They managed to get quite a few people and places to hide out in FR though.

Irennan

Explorer
I'm currently reading RA Salvatore's latest Drizzt novel, Hero, and it has some interesting information about Acererak that might be relevant to upcoming APs.

Basically, the book's villainess received a Mirror of Life-Trapping from Acererak. The frame is shaped like the green-devil faces from Tomb of Horrors. Aererak gave the mirror to her so that she could fill it with trapped souls then return it to his tomb, so Acererak could feed on the prisoners. Acererak, we're told, is "a powerful lich who resides in a tomb in a land you call Chult."

Considering Dungeonology also mentions Acererak and the Tomb of Horrors, I think we can anticipate a Tomb of Horrors-inspired AP in the near future. There's also the fact that Volo's Guide includes a number of new dinosaurs, paving the way for a Chult-based adventure.

Of course, we also know from Storm King's Thunder that Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter play a role in an upcoming adventure. Perhaps they are one and the same.

At this point, I think that it's safe to say that "Labyrinth" will be a Chult/Mezro-based adventure with a Tomb of Horrors-like dungeon. The hints can't get clearer than this...

Irennan

Explorer
I would have preferred Undermountain.

I would have too, honestly. Especially because it would come with Halaster's return, from what I've heard. However, I suspect that we will get UM in fall 2017, given how Mearls has said that they want to make the UM adventure that they ran at some con publicly available, and that Ed has said that the Promenade has been reclaimed and that "things are happening down there", but that more can't be said yet.

A jungle themed adventure, presumably loaded with Yuan-Ti and cannibalistic halflings, sounds good. A big lich's dungeon at the end sounds like a solid hook for the players - the classics got that way for a reason - and really useful to plunder for home games.

Nit a fan of Greyhawk myself, so not that fussed by the move. It does seem odd, though. Why use Acerak, if all they wanted was to have a Lich in Chult? Surely there could have been a Yuan-Ti lich instead. However, it seems likely that there is more to this than we know...

All the jungle creatures, dinosaurs, and yuan-ti in VGtM did seem to point to an upcoming AP in Chult. I assume that we'll see some of them in this adventure (if it is indeed in the works), with suggestions on vanilla MM monster substitution for any VGtM creatures that appear. Grung village incoming!

A jungle themed adventure, presumably loaded with Yuan-Ti and cannibalistic halflings, sounds good. A big lich's dungeon at the end sounds like a solid hook for the players - the classics got that way for a reason - and really useful to plunder for home games.

Nit a fan of Greyhawk myself, so not that fussed by the move. It does seem odd, though. Why use Acerak, if all they wanted was to have a Lich in Chult? Surely there could have been a Yuan-Ti lich instead. However, it seems likely that there is more to this than we know...

You may be on to something here. Perhaps there's a yuan-ti using the Acererak and Tomb of Horrors "brands" so to speak in order to lure adventurers to their untimely demises...

Remove ads