• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Active defenses

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Again, think Dark Souls
Well, I don't know the reference, so I doubt I have much to offer.

Without that reference, I guess I don't see much difference between what you are trying to do an what d20 systems such as 5E already do.

Maybe something like a recharge mechanic? So, you have a reason to back off and "power-up" before you can move in again for something strong offensively. The longer you hold back, the better your option when you move in. I am just shooting from the hip here, but maybe something like you get action points equal to your level. An AP can be used for offensive (attack, cast, etc.) actions. When you are defensive for a turn, you regain a spent AP (up to your maximum).

I have no idea if I am on the right track or not, LOL. :)

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Without that reference, I guess I don't see much difference between what you are trying to do an what d20 systems such as 5E already do.
In terms of 5E, there are two main resource management scopes -- long and short rests. Wasting these resources is going to be bad for you -- you may need a fireball against a horde of goblins later, when you've already spent it on a single monster in order to deal like 20 damage.

I want to create a smaller resource management scope -- right now, spending your action on a sub-optimal thing may be a bad idea, but it's not that bad -- it's not like you can spend it later, even if you don't spend it now.

I want actions to be a bit more like reactions -- you can spend a reaction on opportunity attack and then not be able to cast a Shield spell, for example -- so you don't just taking a reaction, you lose potential +5 AC, which may mean life-or-death.

I am just shooting from the hip here, but maybe something like you get action points equal to your level. An AP can be used for offensive (attack, cast, etc.) actions. When you are defensive for a turn, you regain a spent AP (up to your maximum).
Yeah, it's pretty close to what I've described.

Olrox17

Hero
First thing that comes to mind, if trying to dodge a single attack takes one of you 3 APs per round, facing multiple enemies will be really dangerous.

Which is very fitting for a dark souls experience, but dark souls’ gameplay also relies on level design to balance that out: chokepoints, cover, blocking terrain, pits, the ability to pull an enemy at a time with ranged attacks. Those things are all core parts of the soulsborne experience. Just some food for thought!

Last edited:

I've long wanted to write or houserule an action point system to give just that dark souls like experience. Then baulked at the effort and play testing it would require.

A simple method would indeed be giving 3 action points at the start of your turn, and you can use all 3 or leave some in reserve for reactions later.

I would leave an ordinary defense (block) for 0 action points that may just be an armor roll for example. A dodge for 1 AP would be perhaps a dex save equivalent in 5e or the like. If the dodge was failed then they can make an armor roll. This makes the 1 AP spend quite useful as it gives two chances to ddfend.

If the above worked like i imagine it might, it might give players the choice to go all out and attack 3 times, or try and be more defensive. Heavily armored and slow players may be less likely to dodge than nimble players. And perhaps even certain options could bs made available for certain weapons (cleaving attack with a greatsword for 2 AP for example, or perhaps a riposte reaction with a rapier fkr 1 ap) to grant limited extra choices.

I think there's a lot of potential in that design space, but I've found over the years that there is really a lot of testing involved because there are always unintentional consequences to any design choice made.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
First thing that comes to mind, if trying to dodge a single attack takes one of you 3 APs per round, facing multiple enemies will be really dangerous.
Welcome to combat that starts to look realistic!

A simple method would indeed be giving 3 action points at the start of your turn, and you can use all 3 or leave some in reserve for reactions later.

I would leave an ordinary defense (block) for 0 action points that may just be an armor roll for example. A dodge for 1 AP would be perhaps a dex save equivalent in 5e or the like. If the dodge was failed then they can make an armor roll. This makes the 1 AP spend quite useful as it gives two chances to ddfend.

If the above worked like i imagine it might, it might give players the choice to go all out and attack 3 times, or try and be more defensive. Heavily armored and slow players may be less likely to dodge than nimble players. And perhaps even certain options could bs made available for certain weapons (cleaving attack with a greatsword for 2 AP for example, or perhaps a riposte reaction with a rapier fkr 1 ap) to grant limited extra choices.
This is what that system would look like: Modos RPG.

Ordinary defense, a parry, costs one action. Armor absorbs damage, so if you don't want to parry/block, you count on your armor to protect you.

All-out attack is definitely an option, but it rules out any chances to parry. This is where Olrox's concern comes in: if you're outnumbered, the enemy (enemies) can attack you more than you can defend. So you'd better have a plan.

Nimble characters, who can't count on their (light or no) armor to protect them, must instead count on dodges, positioning, and timing. As well as a weapon with some range.

For OP:
d20 rules are already broken up into actions: primary action, movement, and a reaction. I don't see why each of these has to occur on a PC's turn. Also, if that reaction can also be a parry/block, you might have the system you're looking for.

Remove ads