• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Actors Having a Tough Time Roleplaying

...and yes, "shoot the wizard!" is fine to shout over the battlefield. "Guys, I reckon what we need to do is, shoot that wizard, I reckon he's got a fireball up his sleeve and I'm on, like, 5 HP." "Are you, don't forget about that healing potion I gave you" "oh yeah cheers I forgot about that, so I'll drink that then I'll climb up this ledge here while you shoot at that guy and you can sneak around the rear and take out that sentry" "really cos I thought I'd just cast magic missile and then move over here out of the way" "oh ok well then I won't shoot the wizard I'll help you finish off sentry boy"...

...that's not ok.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
...and yes, "shoot the wizard!" is fine to shout over the battlefield.

...is what the character says.

"Guys, I reckon what we need to do is, shoot that wizard, I reckon he's got a fireball up his sleeve and I'm on, like, 5 HP." "Are you, don't forget about that healing potion I gave you" "oh yeah cheers I forgot about that, so I'll drink that then I'll climb up this ledge here while you shoot at that guy and you can sneak around the rear and take out that sentry" "really cos I thought I'd just cast magic missile and then move over here out of the way" "oh ok well then I won't shoot the wizard I'll help you finish off sentry boy"...

...is what the players say.

I'm okay with that provided the conversation doesn't bog the game down in debate. An approach of acceptance and adding on ("Yes, and...") speeds things up quite a bit in my experience and this should be a technique with which actors are familiar.

...and yes, "shoot the wizard!" is fine to shout over the battlefield. "Guys, I reckon what we need to do is, shoot that wizard, I reckon he's got a fireball up his sleeve and I'm on, like, 5 HP." "Are you, don't forget about that healing potion I gave you" "oh yeah cheers I forgot about that, so I'll drink that then I'll climb up this ledge here while you shoot at that guy and you can sneak around the rear and take out that sentry" "really cos I thought I'd just cast magic missile and then move over here out of the way" "oh ok well then I won't shoot the wizard I'll help you finish off sentry boy"...

...that's not ok.

Why not?

It's a game isn't it? Why would players not be allowed to play it as a game? It doesn't mean that you can't be immersed at the same time.

My players may discuss their next couple of combat actions as players playing a board game, and in the next moment they could narrate in detail how their character does what he/she does. As Iserith pointed out, the OC discussions don't happen in-game, they happen between the players. Just because there is a short interruption of the role playing to discuss game-tactics, doesn't mean that all role playing or immersion is ruined. In fact, if my players were forced to remain in-character constantly, it would drive them nuts. Its good to have pauses in between the role playing.

pontinyc

Explorer
This has all been invaluable, thanks so much to everyone for the help. Indeed, no need to corner them into playing in a manner they don't enjoy. And Elfcrusher kind of nailed it. . . if they feel that the rp is cringeworthy (whether that's actually the case or not), it would certainly shut them down. So the impulse is cut off before it really begins. Pretty sure I've seen that happen repeatedly. They seem to be enjoying the campaign overall so the plan will be to let them play in the way they'd like to and I'll do the same.

Thanks again to all for the excellent input and discussion. Truly appreciated!

the issue is primarily one of massive meta gaming combined with one player who wants to tell everyone else what to do and adjust what they're doing at length during a RP encounter or a combat. I find it's easier to instigate a working rule that unless stated, your character says what you say (RP) or any tactical chat gets done in around 6 seconds (combat), especially when the characters are strewn across the field.

Otherwise it all gets bogged down horribly and I'm very interested in what everyone has to say/wants to do rather than what the most vocal decides. One player has a simple, direct, not too clever character who he likes to have act on impulse. He is also the youngest. Before I made the rule his impromptu in-character actions and utterances were waved aside as being dangerous or naive or plain foolish. Thing is, now he feels able to do what he wants to do and the others sometimes have to face palm but it invariably makes the encounters way more interesting. And the player is much more involved in the game whereas before he would keep quiet and stay in the background.

His blunders have led to some of the best encounters they have had.

I'd rather keep things spontaneous. Obviously there are lots of times when they can mull options over, decide on tactics, get into a huddle, strategise...but I don't personally think midway through talking with the NPC is the time.

Our styles obviously vary, but to me d&d is a role playing game which implies you have to be in the moment a fair amount of the time. I don't care if people "act" their character or state what their character does, so long as they are in the moment. As DM it's my job to help set up and sustain that moment wherever feasible. It's not chess. Yes you're moving the piece but at the same time you are the piece. Too little of the latter and it becomes dry, and less palpable an experience.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
the issue is primarily one of massive meta gaming combined with one player who wants to tell everyone else what to do and adjust what they're doing at length during a RP encounter or a combat.

Ah, yes, the dreaded "Table Captain." Nobody likes that guy or gal. Rather than institute a rule to curb the worst of his or her inclinations, I just tell that person (or others do) that he or she can save that input for when it's requested. Otherwise, "Yes, and..." - accept what others offer and add to it to move the game forward.

This sort of issue falls into the realm of out-of-game problems which demands an out-of-game solution in my view. It's just rudeness, even if the player is well-meaning.

Pandaemoni

First Post
pontinyc:

It has been mentioned in passing, but you should ask your players to watch a bot of the Geek& Sundry show "Critical Role" online. That is a group of actors role-playing well and it may inspire them engage more with who their characters are in game.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
"Guys, I reckon what we need to do is, shoot that wizard,
Pretty much the same as "...shoot the wizard!" to me.

I reckon he's got a fireball up his sleeve
I'm not sure if you were fine with this part as well, or just the first part above. You weren't clear.

and I'm on, like, 5 HP."
Sometimes this stuff needs to be verbalized because visual representation of injuries is not possible.

"Are you, don't forget about that healing potion I gave you"
Physically being handed something and placing it on your person, feeling it in your pocket, and so on, is far more impactful on memory than, "My fictional construct hands your fictional construct a fictional construct to be used at a later time," said in passing as three other people are talking past you and everyone is munching on pizza while you are checking your phone under the table because the DM isn't looking.

"oh yeah cheers I forgot about that,
See? You even show that the other player forgot. Good thing we are all there to help each other remember the important things while so much is going on around us and in the story...

so I'll drink that then I'll climb up this ledge here while you shoot at that guy and you can sneak around the rear and take out that sentry"

"really cos I thought I'd just cast magic missile and then move over here out of the way" "oh ok well then I won't shoot the wizard I'll help you finish off sentry boy"...

...that's not ok.
This is where you lose me. If "...shoot the wizard!" is no longer necessary, because someone forgot they had a potion, it seems a bit harsh to expect them to continue to follow faulty logic and unfun tactics. Just because someone said something in the heat of the moment without complete information.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
A counter example based on what I take away from your last post:

DM: Bill, your wizard takes 7 damage from the orc's arrow.
Bill: Oh no! That'll drop me. McSpellhappy flops down like a ragdoll unconsicious in a pool of his own blood!
Eric: Bill, did you forget to record the healing word I gave you on my last action?
Bill: Oh right. I got distracted when Joe spilled his soda and it slipped my mind. I guess I'm still standing.
DM: Sorry, but no, Bill. You already declared McSpellhappy unconscious and bleeding to death.
Bill: ...

Thoughts?

Remove ads