• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Actual Play Television: Article on WotC's "Adventuring Party"

aco175

Legend
I guess people would watch this. People watch the online ones already. My son watches videos of people playing Magic and Fortnite.

I can see MTV reality stupidity if they have individual or group competitions. I go to some conventions and there always seems to be someone trying to take the spotlight, so pay people and having them outsilly each other sounds terrible. Not sure on having groups of players go through the same dungeon with the same DM and have the camera cut around to each group. Then have people vote off groups.

I guess people would watch this. People watch the online ones already. My son watches videos of people playing Magic and Fortnite.

I can see MTV reality stupidity if they have individual or group competitions. I go to some conventions and there always seems to be someone trying to take the spotlight, so pay people and having them outsilly each other sounds terrible. Not sure on having groups of players go through the same dungeon with the same DM and have the camera cut around to each group. Then have people vote off groups.

I don't believe they will go that way, I think the goal isn't competition so much as recreating a safer, more polished, possibly more kid friendly version of CR.

I like the idea of Hollywood interested into the actual-play. Here the adventage is it needs a lower budgets. Even some streamers and profesionals and writters could start as amateur actual-play. Also maybe we could see animated "replay", with retouched recaps of previous games (We can skip the parts of "that day we went to the shops to buy magic item"). Some times in the past joked about actual-play shows by Japanese female players, to promote the game in the Japanese market.

I see in the future more actual-plays using VTTs, and even sponsored by videogame studios and publishers to promote their IPs.

Hasbro should "estar al loro" ( = "being at parrot", being attentive, the parrots are very watcher animals) and "put on the batteries" ( = getting ready and be updated. This morning I am missing the slang from 80's). D&D is not "the only coke bottle in the dessert" (= the only option), and different studios could use other TTRPGs and franchises. Thanks Actual Play shows World of Darkness could become again the main rival of D&D. Or it could be Starfinder by Paizo.

Other point it is languange barrier. I am very used if I can't understand by lyrics of a song in other languange, but the internet videos without subtitles are more inconfortable for me. I haven't watched a complete episode of Critical Role, even when I can read the subtitles.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What do you mean by 'someone trying to take the spotlight'?
I imagine that’s something the article was alluding to when it mentioned that most of the current “actual plays” are strongly supported by the parasocial relationship between the fans and the cast members.

I think one of the reasons actual plays have never clicked for me is that I have less than zero interest in forming any sort of parasocial relationship with any of my interests.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
What do you mean by 'someone trying to take the spotlight'?
I suspect they meant "hog the spotlight" or fight over it. Folks actively working to take more table time/be the center of attention, at the expense of other players getting time in the spotlight.

One DM skill folks sometimes talk about it spotlight distribution- making sure everyone at the table gets some time being the focus if they want to, making decisions and doing cool stuff. But it's also a really good skill for improvisational entertainers like Actual Play participants, being able to pass around the spotlight/mic and support their fellow players.

Remove ads