D&D 1E AD&D two weapon fighting

dmhelp

Explorer
If a fighter gets two attacks per round in 1st edition are they supposed to get 3 or 4 attacks if using a hand axe or dagger in their off hand?

dmhelp

Explorer
We played it the opposite back in the days until we switched to 2e. But yeah I was trying to read the rule in the dmg and couldn’t tell.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Where did you get that? Always thought it was only one additional attack.

1. It's in G3 (1978).

2. It's in the DMG (1979).

3. It's in Deities and Demigods (1980).

4. It's in Fiend Folio (1981)

5. It's in the 1982 Dragon Magazine article, published by TSR, written by Roger Moore. Also reprinted in Best of Dragon. (This has full tables for higher level fighters).

6. It's in OA, UA, and Lankhmar (City of Adventure) in 1985.

The one additional attack thing is a later rule. It never existed in 1e; moreover, because of the explicit weapon restriction, it makes little sense for it to be a +1 (the later 3e rule).

I don't have my books with me as I am at work. But if I remember correctly, it is only one additional attack. In G3, drows were a special case and the same could be argues with the Mouser and those in the D&DG where some heroes would have way more than PCs...

But as soon as I can check, I'll get back. Either to challenge you or to grovel at your feet asking for forgiveness for daring to doubt your words...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've been looking for an answer to this in the "Sage Advice" column in old Dragon magazines for a little while now, and can't find any clarification there. :(

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I don't have my books with me as I am at work. But if I remember correctly, it is only one additional attack. In G3, drows were a special case and the same could be argues with the Mouser and those in the D&DG where some heroes would have way more than PCs...

But as soon as I can check, I'll get back. Either to challenge you or to grovel at your feet asking for forgiveness for daring to doubt your words...

Start with the Roger Moore article. While it (slightly) expands the list of weapons to include, for example, a few the cleric can use, it takes as a given the natural reading of the DMG that it you attack with each weapon. Given that it was a 1982 article and was reprinted in Best Of, it’s as authoritative as you can get.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases