D&D 5E Adding class levels to a monster - how much does the CR increase?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Thanks a lot for the advice, it's really helpful. Modifying monsters in this edition seems to be a bit more fiddly than it was in 3e.

Xeviat

Hero
Thanks a lot for the advice, it's really helpful. Modifying monsters in this edition seems to be a bit more fiddly than it was in 3e.

I find it easier. 3E lied to you and said +1 level was +1 CR. 1 wizard level on a stone giant likely wouldn't have done much, especially if you didn't choose defensive spells. Give it a try. 5E's CR system gives you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. It's not perfect but it's pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Sunseeker

A PCs strength comes from it's ability synergy with other classes and ability utility. Some classes are still superior to others. IE: 5 level 5 Clerics are going to be superior to 5 level 5 Fighters due to their versatility and synergy with each other.

On average, I typically treat 1 class level as +1/2 CR. However, this is an average usually based on the obvious fact that certain class levels provide greater features than others. Adding one level of Fighter to a Kobold will not, IMO add +1/2 CR, however adding 6 levels of Fighter to a Kobold dramatically increases it's challenge (extra attacks, way more HP, fighting styles, etc...) the same is applicable to the rest of the classes. Is a 20th level human a CR 10? Probably more like a CR 12, depending on the class and the base race and how well the DM plays it. It's not an exact science (which is why CR NEVER should have been brought back in the first place!).

But still, I find a +1/2 CR to be on average the appropriate challenge increase at least for adding levels 3-10 (which is where, IMO, we need more "regular" enemies). I've only ever added 20 class levels to a monster and that was when I created my Dragon Lords, which I thoroughly terrified my party with.

guachi

Hero
I created a 6th level cleric for an adventure I converted from 1e and I gave him a CR of 3. So that fits the rough guide of 1/2 CR per level. Given the encounter favors the bad guy cleric with him having a spell or two already cast when the encounter begins I felt CR3 was fair. Though I intentionally didn't give the cleric spiritual guardian as a spell as that would likely wipe out the party.

If the NPC were a solo rogue I'd likely give him a really low CR, for example, as he'd have a problem getting Sneak Attack off and rogues (at least non-AT rogues) shine with so many of their abilities not triggering off of a short or long rest so a single solo encounter would leave them really weak.

Igfig

Explorer
I say give them what abilities you want to deal with. Since you're going to factor them into the CR anyway, give them what you want. Like I wouldn't give Combat Superiority over second wind, actions urge, and fighting style; combat superiority is a subclass ability, and is no more core to the fighter is than eldritch knight spells are. But I have given combat superiority to NPC warriors (The Bladebearer Hobgoblins from Red Hand of Doom for instance).
Good point. I should have specified that a class's "most iconic feature" is an entirely subjective matter; whatever you think is the most significant feature from that class is the feature you should put on it.

But, you'll see many abilities in the MM that "almost" mimic some of these things. "Parry", on many of the NPCs, kind of mimics the battle master's parry ... more specifically the defensive duelist feat. Those types of abilities may be less fiddly than giving an NPC actual Superiority (or Sorcerer) dice.
Also a good point. Combat Superiority, or other abilities with a specific number of uses and/or a range of effects to choose from, are definitely worth simplifying. For instance, when I make a monk NPC, instead of tracking Ki I just let them make Flurry-style attacks as a bonus action, and don't worry about tracking Ki or using the other Ki abilities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases