• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding feats to Castles & Crusades

Votan

Explorer
At the end of the Castle Keeper's Guide there are optional rules for introducing "Advantages" in C&C which are essentially feats. It is suggested that they are giving uniformly to all classes or instead of class abilities (and hence given at different frequencies depending on the class).

Examples are given for a range of advantages equating to feats for race, combat, magic, etc.

If you are interested in this I'd definitely recommend picking up the CKG which is full of great option material (to give a sense of the book it is the nearest one I've read in terms of flavour to 1E DMG).

Including the . . . poetic . . . prose contained within it. :)

But a lot of very good ideas!

Treebore

First Post
I think the OP was just restating their objective. AD&D had proficiencies. Basic D&D had weapon masteries and General Skills. I can see how someone might look at C&C and think, "I wonder how this would taste with feats?"

Definitely. My rules outlined above are directly a result of that. I just didn't want Feats to be an automatic thing, and I saw a way for them to be earned via game play, so went my route.

Plus this way players who want to put that kind of effort into developing their PC can, and those who just simply want to play can do so as well.

Treebore

First Post
Including the . . . poetic . . . prose contained within it. :)

But a lot of very good ideas!

There is actually very little of that, especially in comparison to the 1E DMG. The 1E DMG has it dripping off of almost every page, the CKG has it in a section here, a section there, definitely not everywhere throughout like the 1E DMG.

JeffB

Legend
The problem is Gygax excelled at that style of writing, and it was engaging and endearing to many of us. The Trolls** just butcher it like rock/pop stars do our National Anthem

**I would assume most of that horrible prose is Davis...IDK for sure, but M&T is a far better read than the PHB or CoE for example).

As much as I appreciate that you feel my 3E players are wrong to feel the way that they do, the goal here is to entice them to want to convert to C&C, not to say "screw you, you're wrong to want leveling-up to feel better" and not play C&C at all.

My thoughts on this are to examine why you are converting to C&C at all? One thing that attracted me to check out the system in the first place was a lack of menu options and fiddly build components to bother with. If the character building/ level up goodies are something you and your players enjoy then C&C doesn't really deliver.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My thoughts on this are to examine why you are converting to C&C at all? One thing that attracted me to check out the system in the first place was a lack of menu options and fiddly build components to bother with. If the character building/ level up goodies are something you and your players enjoy then C&C doesn't really deliver.
Well, there's the rub. I (and I think my co-DM) are not really enjoying higher level D&D play and the character build arms race is part of that, at least for me.

We also level slowly (this is a long-running play by post game), so the "we want awesome stuff when we level" argument doesn't really make a lot of sense to me (it happens so rarely, it's not exactly the focus of the game), but there are several people digging in their heels about it.

So I'm trying to find a middle ground we can all live with.

Frost

First Post
Duke Omote at the TLG boards has a ton of kick arse house rules, including Feats (he calls them Talents): link

I also believe that Castle Keeper Guide has rules for something akin to Feats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads