D&D 5E Adding Psychic Glamour (Kalashtar question)

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
So can someone explain why Kalashtar get Psychic Glamour? It just seems out of place in my opinion.Why do they get this racial trait? I first thought it was how it sounds, you use your psychic abilities to mess with minds, but then why is insight on the list? Are people’s lies more noticeable? Why not Deception? I can see Deception being on the list, since Persuasion is on the list.

Coroc

Hero
So can someone explain why Kalashtar get Psychic Glamour? It just seems out of place in my opinion.Why do they get this racial trait? I first thought it was how it sounds, you use your psychic abilities to mess with minds, but then why is insight on the list? Are people’s lies more noticeable? Why not Deception? I can see Deception being on the list, since Persuasion is on the list.

Although I play DDO for years now, my Eberron knowledge about Kalashtar is limited, since they are not featured prominently there.

What I know about Kalashtar is, that they are considered to be natural seers and diviners, so they can look in the future and got, so to say, the second sight.

The main skill of a RL seers, fortune tellers and the like, is to "read" as much as possible of their customer, as not in the cards but in the people themselves. They normally posses an extraordinary empathy for people who are strangers to them. They ask a few questions and can estimate the real problems of someone, even if the someone does not talk about them directly. So the insight skill is very fitting here.

These skills are more about understanding the human mind, which Kalashtar have intimate experience with.

Insight is probably the most apropos, because it is the skill of understanding emotion and human behavior. (not just "detect lies"... I would challenge DM's when giving results to Insight checks to avoid concrete information. Instead say something like "It looks like he's holding something back" or "She's afraid of something, but you don't know what." and let the player figure out what to do with that information.)

Performance isn't just your art, but also how well you can use your art to entertain or amuse. Kalashtar have an edge because of their ability to "read a crowd"

Intimidation is less about how much scarier Kalashtar are than other people, but they have special insight into what scares people.

Persuasion is about figuring out what other people want.

Deception I think would be a good candidate for the list. If I had to justify it's exclusion, I would say it's because studying others can only get you so far when it comes to a well-crafted lie. Often all it does is tell you whether your lie worked or not (which would be Insight) but doesn't necessarily help you craft the lie. Unlike performance, where you usually get an extended period of time to observe others and adjust your performance accordingly, with Deception you get one shot. It's more about selling it and self-confidence than reading other people.

Remove ads