adjudicating eye rays on beholderkin

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

I am using an Examiner (beholderkin) in my game, and want to know how I should run the spell turning ray it has.

Eye Rays (Su): Each of the small eyes can produce a magical ray once a round, even when the examiner is attacking or moving at full speed. Each eye's effect resembles a spell cast by an 8th-level sorcerer but follow the rules for a ray (see Aiming a Spell, page 148 in the Player's Handbook). All rays have a range of 100 feet and a save DC of 16.

· Spell Turning: This duplicates the spell of the same name.

So, Spell Turning is normally something you have activated. How does this work as a ray?

- Devon

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
...and Devon plays stump the expert...

I think thats an example of a bad conversion on my part. I will re-write the description of the spell turning to make it not an actual ray, but an ability that functions as spell turning when that eye is active.

All I have to do is think up the wording. Thanks for catching that one Dev...I owe ya one :)

Scott...any further suggestions? :)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
See how this works for you. The changes are in bold italics:

Eye Rays (Su): Each of the small eyes can produce a magical ray once a round, even when the examiner is attacking or moving at full speed.
Each eye's effect resembles a spell cast by an 8th-level sorcerer but follow the rules for a ray (see Aiming a Spell, page 148 in the PHB) unless otherwise noted. All rays have a range of 100 feet and a save DC of 16.

Spell Turning: This eye does not produce an actual ray, but duplicates the spell of the same name for as long as the eye is active or until the levels of spells it can effect has been depleted. Once this power has been depleted, the examiner cannot use spell turning again for 1 day.

Devon

First Post
Thank you, Erica!

I didn't mean to pose such a stumper. I was running the game last night, and though the players were intimidated by the Examiner (b/c the players know about beholders), but I was waiting for them to get annoyed and start throwing down... and I didn't know what I was going to do with that power... :eek:

But now everything is better. :cool:

Thanks, DnDChick,

- Devon

Remove ads