• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adjusting for Larger Groups? (On-the-Fly Suggestions)

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
I run a campaign with 7 players at the moment. I have three things to help with that:
  • I double the number of enemies (or double the total enemy xp).
  • I have the group levelling up slower than they normally would
  • I use Roll20

With Roll20 I have a pro subscription that allows me to have APIs. I use that to:

• Select everyone in the combat and click a button to roll initiative for everyone
  • Indicate on every turn who's initiative it is and centre the map on them (but only for me)
  • Auto roll saving throws and area damage
  • Auto roll concentration checks if someone takes damage
  • Reroll initiative automatically for everyone at the end of each round (I just do this one because it is fun, adds randomness and makes initiative bonuses more powerful)

Even then, combats take a lot longer than they would with just 4 or 5 players. There is a bit more effort in keeping players engaged between their turns.

• I roll my dice in the open. Everyone knows that they can die from bad tactics or bad luck. Adds more tension and that is good.
  • I play smart creatures cleverly. They will gang up on particular characters if that would be in their nature.
  • Some creatures (such as ghouls) will continue to attack after a character has fallen (feasting).
  • I let characters die. Without that potential of death people would be more easily distracted.

Remove ads