• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adult] Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, thread 2

Sorn

First Post
Ahh... Poser... great piece of Software. I never noticed the sketcher before, so I loaded it on my new laptop. I might play around with it a little bit too... the more art, the better....

If there's an official OGC Pleasure domain, let's use it. Nothing better than consistency across the d20 world.

Let's all check our books and make sure that there's no other OGC spells, domains, etc. that would apply to the guide.

kolvar

First Post
@Sorn: the somehow funny thing is, that, after the version 1.0, everything we put into the guide is in a way official OGC (even now it is actually).

@arcady: I never said something about the art (only made comments): I like it

@all: should we give some possible XP-values for pregnancy?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I'd say it should get XP.

Of course in my opinion there's a very strong difference between a woman who's a mother and one who isn't...

Enough to almost call it a prestige class for commoners. At least enough that it should level some women.

It definately qualifies as a challenge. One which without proper care can often be lethal.

You could come up with a list of CR's depending on how difficult the pregnancy is and put in some checks for survival and health of the mother and the child.

Both risk the possible loss of life as well as permanent damage to Con and Str. The child also risks loss to any of it's stats if the mother's pregnancy goes poorly.

You could put together a monthly CR check with modifiers for health, diet, and environment.

Pass the check and get XP proper for that CR. Fail it and you and or the child takes damage or even stat loss.

kolvar

First Post
mhm, how to do it without lots of tables for modifications?

How about surviving an abortion? Would someone, who succeeds her check, receive XP, too? it is potentially lethal, too.

Sorn

First Post
Instead of creating complicated XP tables, leave it up to the DM. Depending on the circumstances, a table might not even have all the answers anyway.

To be vague about XP awards falls right into the d20 feel. I don't think I have yet seen a good run-down of example XP awards for non-combat in a d20 game. I always wing it.

I wouldn't make "Mother" a prestige class
. It's more of a Template if you ask me. This way it could easily be applied to any character as well. IIRC, there was something about Mothers in one of the pre-3e Dragon Mags. I'll have to see if I can find that issue and come up with a similar Mother Template for 3e.

@kolvar: re OGC... I know what we are making is going to be OGC and therefore officially part of the d20 system. I was referring to "official" as in "professionally" published. In any case, if we can use something from a accredited d20 source like Green Ronin for our little book, I think we should. This will keep things consistent. It also allows players who already have the green ronin book to keep their character the way it was and not be tempted by new material.

I started playing 3e shortly after it came out, so I created my character with just the PHB. As more material flooded the market, cooler stuff became available and I was stuck with some choices I wouldn't have made if I had had some of the newer stuff available.

kolvar

First Post
You are right Sorn, I did not intend to lecture you, it is more, that I got excited about the thought.

so, who writes a short paragraph about Pregnancy and XP?

Somehow I got a mean mind at the moment, because my new job sucks and I am constantly tired. i.e. read everything I write twice and think the best of it (g).

Last edited:

Kichwas

kolvar said:
How about surviving an abortion? Would someone, who succeeds her check, receive XP, too? it is potentially lethal, too.
Sure.

And not it's not an ethical question because we're not saying if it affects her alignment; we're just giving it XP.

(in fact we'd be best off not saying anything about alignments anywhere near any page mentioning abortion in order to avoid this whole 'issue').

Last edited:

Sorn

First Post
Kolvar: no offense taken... I just wasn't sure whether we were talking about the same thing. But you are right, it is cool to be part of the d20 system.

kolvar

First Post
arcady said:
Sure.

And not it's not an ethical question because we're not saying if it affects her alignment; we're just giving it XP.

(in fact we'd be best off not saying anything about alignments anywhere near any page mentioning abortion in order to avoid this whole 'issue').

If we give XP for an abortion, a lot of people will argue, that you either give XP for good role-playing or for the completion of a task (or for killing). In both cases, you we will be blamed as pro-abortion, because.

As soon as we touch the topic in the guide from this side, we have to brace ourselves against complains and flames (OK, is is just another flame we got to brace against, considering the nature of the guide)

Kichwas

You're not giving it for either task or killing.

You're giving it for overcoming a life threatening challenge. Abortion is a deadly proceedure to undergo in all but very modern and advanced societies.

Without magical or 1st world technological aid it should result in about a 50% kill ratio of the pregnant woman.

With magical or tech aid I'd set the CR of it at 0, and thus give no XP.

In d20 mechanics Abortion and Pregnancy are 'Traps' with a DC and a CR and a resulting list of damages if you fail the DC.

Like traps, you get XP based on the CR.

If you take all emotion out of what either task is and does; they are very much traps in the mechanical sense: They are situation that can kill or harm you if you don't engage in them with proper proceedure.

Abortion would also have elements of a poison: there is the immediate damage, but then is also a secondary damage that kicks in later (most women who die from it die after hours of bleeding agony, it's not pleasant but before RvW was very common...).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads