• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adv2 Item sets

Istar

First Post
There are some stupid comments from people here about item sets and oh no the idea couldnt come from wow, how freaking niave can you get ???

The structure and even names and item types proves once again that 4e is designed by wow addicts, not that thats a bad thing.

But at least admit the obvious and get over it.

Just look at the oh you have 2 of this set, now you get this ability, and can do this.

The only thing they havent done is copied the same names.

There are some stupid comments from people here about item sets and oh no the idea couldnt come from wow, how freaking niave can you get ???

The structure and even names and item types proves once again that 4e is designed by Diablo addicts, not that thats a bad thing.

But at least admit the obvious and get over it.

Just look at the oh you have 2 of this set, now you get this ability, and can do this.

The only thing they did was add group items.
I know we are not supposed to "FIFY", but... ;)

I just can't think of a way to not want magic item sets the moment the concept was "known". I mean, sure, you can miss the opportunity, but really - it's that. A missed opportunity.

Heck, even Shadowrun has "item sets" in a way these days. Install a cybereye, install a few items for "free". Have already an Imagelink? Get your Smartlink cheaper! :p

Marshall

First Post
Weapons are specialized by the feats that work best with them, Implements are specialized by class.

As well implements would, without that specialization, be exactly the same, whereas weapons are -each- an individual set of stats.

Isnt that the issue? Implements arent defined by their type, they are defined by the enchantments placed on them. Thats what needs to change. Every Wand needs to have "x" stats, every Staff needs to have "y" stats, every Holy Symbol needs to give "z" benefit.

Despite the claims to the contrary, your choice of implement is meaningless beyond "My class can use this one." Wand, Rod, Staff, Dagger, Whats the difference?

Alaric_Argent

First Post
If then the rules support for casters using weapons as implements would have been included already in the first PHB, it would be even better.
Um, isn't that Corellon's Implement in the Wizard of the Spiral Tower Paragon path? I know it's longsword-specific, but it's a start, and it's PHB page 171.

eamon

Explorer
I think that the Rod of Seven Parts probably predates the Gauntlets/Girdle/Hammer combo, too. It was first published in 1976.

In similar vein, I seem to remember this story with a set of "group item" rings.

The combined power of X and Y make Z !!1! trope is pretty common anyhow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads