• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advantages / Disadvantages

Brix

Explorer
I like that they tried to implement an easy solution for these situations.
I don't like rolling two dice. I also don't like re-rolling a dice.
Why?
Maybe it's just me, but rolling two dice somehow interrupts my internal game flow. Because it's technical. Fate also does not roll two dices.
One Action - one roll

Kzach

Banned
Banned
From everything I've heard so far, you seem to be in a very, very small minority.

I hope so. I'd really like to see this mechanic remain and make it through to the final game.

Also, the bonus from rolling twice is 2.5 I thought. There's also an increased chance of criticals and fumbles but I'm not sure on the percentages of that.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I like the dis/advantage thing in theory, but it was a bit awkward in practice, especially when you're resolving lots of attacks at once. Tonight I had my fighter stumble into a hall with 40 kobolds, who all threw their spears at him at once. They outnumbered him, so they all got advantage on their attack--but I didn't want to roll 80 dice. I ended up conveniently "forgetting" advantage when combats involved lots of combatants.

It's awesome that it's the kind of fast-playing game like BD&D/AD&D where you can just pick up a giant handful of dice, roll them all and count the hits, but the advantage rules make that a bit awkward. Maybe I'll abstract it to a +3 bonus whenever it would be inconvenient to roll double the d20s.

Last edited:

Brix

Explorer
IMHO rolling two dice is preferable to keeping track of fiddly bonuses. Plus theres the thrill of getting combat advantage and rolling a 2 :(
But wouldn't that be frustrating?
If logic doesnt fail me, then an advantage, which does not gives you any advantages, is not an advantage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads