Adventure:A Jaz of all Trades (DM:Luinnar Judge: H.M.Gimlord).

Luinnar

Villager
A Jaz of all Trades

Cast:

  • Sir ExSixTen, the Warforged Fighter (Iron Sky)
  • Andras, the Genasi Warlord (TwoHeadsBarking)
  • Jax, the Kobold Rogue (Dekana)
  • Dorn, the Half-Orc Sorcerer (nerdytenor)
  • Brenn, the Elf Ranger, (pathfinderq1)
  • Quagmire, the Hobgoblin Warlord (covaithe)
Using the standard PBP rules.
-----
GM: Jaz is Currently in the tavern thread, he will move here once Jaz gets a private room. The current situation was too good to pass up ;)

You still have plenty of time to level up and buy equipment :)



 
Last edited:

Dekana

Villager
OOC: Jax only has one trade, and that is killing. /flex

(Was the thread title supposed to say Jaz?)
 

nerdytenor

Villager
OOC: Just posting my updated stat block. Wild Soul for first day of new adventure is psychic


[sblock=Dorn Stat Block]
Dorn, Half-Orc Sorcerer/Demon-Soul Adept 13

Immediate Reactions:
If hit would bloody Dorn or do 25+ damage, use Narrow Escape to take 1/2 damage and teleport away

Current Effects:
resist 10 psychic, ignore 10 pshycic resistance

Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15
AC 26, Fort 24, Reflex 24, Will 27 (base defenses)
HP 93/93 Bloodied 46 Surge Value 23, Surges 7/7
Speed 7, Initiative +14
Action Points: 1

Notes
Daily Wild Soul: psychic
Dorn starts each combat with 5 tmp hp (from Fey Blessed Circlet)
Dorn uses the raw d20 (no mods) for all even/odd effects
Dorn scores a crit on 19 or 20
Enemies need 1 extra square of movement to move adjacent to dorn
Dorn has CA on surprise round and against enemies with lower init 1st round
Dorn gets CA against enemies that are being flanked by his allies
When an enemy crits Dorn, Dorn can crit that enemy on a roll of 17-20 TENT

Encounter Resources
Primordial Storm
Demon-Soul Bolts
Bedeviling Burst
Spark Form
Furious Assault (no action)
Lightning Shift (move)
Variable Resistance (minor)
Narrow Escape
Periapt of Cascading Health (minor)
Half-Orc Resilience (no action)
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Chromatic Orb
Moon and the Stars
Winds of Change
Demonic Wrath (minor)
Gambit Armor (minor)
Luckblade Dagger
Deep Shroud (minor)
Diamond Cincture (minor)
Antipathy Gloves (std)
Soul of the Bat (minor)

2x potion of healing
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Luinnar

Villager
Uncle Jaz drags Jax through the door and plops him down on a nearby seat. It's awful! he announces, sitting down not waiting for Jax to speak. The family is in trouble! There's this Tiefling, his name is Hastings Wellington he is the, shall we say, local crime lord in Bacarte. You were probably too busy robbing houses to know about him...

Anyway, a while ago his goons came to us demanding "protection" money. At first it was not so much so we paid, but soon the payments became larger and larger. And with this and that and business in a slump we found that we could not pay him at all!


So we thought "Okay, perhaps he is just a bully and nothing will happen". But then our shipment of metals mysteriously vanished and the week after that our supply shed caught on fire. Now he threatens to burn our whole business down with us inside!

And worse! He says he'll tell everyone that we have a good for nothing boy who is a thief! Imagine if that gets out what it will do to the business! Why could you have not becomes a salesman like me or something! Even twelfth cousin Nyza is more useful with lighting the furnaces, and mostly he just tries to set things on fire!

So this is all really your fault! Uncle Jaz says dramatically. That is why you'll give us the 100,000 gold we need.

[sblock=Streetwise=20 (rolled or passive)]
You recall that the name Wellington is the same as a local Daunton human, Lord Tarquin Wellington. He is highly respected, but there are whispers of him having dark dealings. His last public appearance was at the arena that just finished a couple months back.

[sblock=Streetwise=25(same roll)]
You remember that Hastings Wellington claims to be his son. Word on the street is that he left Daunton a couple years ago and set up shop in Bacarte. He is rumored to have set up various smuggling, gambling and other illegal enterprises in the area.

Who his mother is nobody can say, but it is rumored that she is or was the third wife of Lord Tarquin Wellington and some kind of demoness. Tarquin's polygamous relationships have long been gossip, but not enough evidence to prosecute him has ever been had (Polygamy is a crime in Daunton). There is many men and women of various half-human races claiming to be his children, that is for certain.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
 

Iron Sky

Adventurer
Sir Exsixten stares at Jaz blankly for a moment, then glances at Jax.

RE-NON-UN-EX-GHOST LIZARD JAXIMUS, IF WE ASSUME THE NUMBER YOUR WELL AGED SPECIES DUPLICATE JUST SPOKE WERE IN BINARY, THAT'S ONLY 32 GOLD. PAY HIM AND QUEST IS COMPLETE! <ERROR, ?NOT FOUND IN VICINITY, ONLY !, INITIATE BUG REPORT>

[sblock=Sir Exsixten's Statblock] Sir Exsixten, Male Warforged Fighter/Dreadnaught 11
Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 19
AC: 28, Fort:27, Reflex:22, Will:22 -- Speed:5
HP:116/116, Bloodied:58, Surge Value:33, Surges left:14/14
Initiative +6, Action Points: 1

Powers
: Crushing Surge, Brash Strike, Combat Challenge, Unfailing Resources, Hack and Hew, Sweeping Blow, Come and Get It, Guardian's Charge, Daring Shot, Warforged Resolve, Reactive Surge, Second Wind, Comeback Strike, Victorious Surge, Rain of Steel, Boundless Endurance
Items: Potion of Healing, Potion of Resistance x 1, Madstone x 3, Strikebacks, Amulet of Life, Dwarven Thrower, Dwarven Armor, Diamond Cincture, Werewolf Boon
MBA/RBA: +17(+20 OA) vs. AC, 1d12+10 damage and enemy movement is stopped and Sir Exsixten gains 5 temporary hitpoints.
Notes: *Enemies hit take cumulative -1 to AC(save ends) *Gain 5 THP when enemy fail's save *Gain 10 THP on healing surge. *Reroll the first 1 on damage rolls *+2 damage with THP *Gain DR10 TsnT on AP *Gain 5+Healing Surges spent THP on short rest *Adjacent enemy grants CA if ally also adjacent to enemy[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

nerdytenor

Villager
Dorn, no stranger to family troubles, raises an eyebrow at Jaz.

"All his fault, you say? Somehow I doubt that." Dorn scratches his head. "Wellington... Wellington... Rings a bell. Yes, of course, Lord Wellington. High and mighty fellow, although I've heard rumors he's been involved in some dark deeds. But he's no Tiefling - he's a human. I think I saw him at the arena before our last adventure, just a few months back." (Streetwise 20)
 

covaithe

Villager
"Hastings Wellington, eh? I hear he claims to be Lord Wellington's son. Along with a dozen other halfbloods looking for spare change, to be sure. Seems ol' Tarquin has a taste for the exotic in his ladies, or at least that's the rumor in Bacarte. Hmm, I should ask Madame Ketratek about that; if there's any truth to it, she's probably the one who'd know." Quagmire blows foam off of a large tankard in Uncle Jaz' direction. He appears none the worse for his chondrichthyan interlude. "So you're in it with Hastings, eh?"

OOC: Madame Ketratek is from Quagmire's background. Feel free to use her or not as you see fit. If I put my mind to it, there are probably handful of other Bacarte-related NPCs that Quagmire has had previous dealings with; if you want I could have a try at writing down something about them. Oh, and streetwise 28
 

Luinnar

Villager
Hmm, I should ask Madame Ketratek about that; if there's any truth to it, she's probably the one who'd know." Quagmire blows foam off of a large tankard in Uncle Jaz' direction. He appears none the worse for his chondrichthyan interlude. "So you're in it with Hastings, eh?"

OOC: Madame Ketratek is from Quagmire's background. Feel free to use her or not as you see fit. If I put my mind to it, there are probably handful of other Bacarte-related NPCs that Quagmire has had previous dealings with; if you want I could have a try at writing down something about them. Oh, and streetwise 28
No, I told you! He is blackmailing and threatening us! We don't want to have have anything to do with him! Jaz says, making a face at the mention of Madame Ketratek. He found the ways of softskins disturbing.

Jaz! Who are these people? Why are you hanging around these softskins and this,this,this whatever!? Jaz says pointing to Sir ExSixTen and the party.
 

Dekana

Villager
Jax decides to answer that in the kobold language.

[sblock=Draconic]"Why? Look how tall they are! I mean, do you have any idea how many things have tried to eat me since you all kicked me out? These softskins are all vicious killers, so they're good protection. Like bodyguards!"[/sblock]
Jax motions to Sir Exsixten with that last statement.

"Anyway, one hundred thousand gold? Did someone drop your egg on the ground? I don't have that kind of money! I don't know anybody in Daunton that I could take it from, either." Jax then mumbles, "Maybe I could rob a bank or something..."
 

Luinnar

Villager
Jax decides to answer that in the kobold language.

[sblock=Draconic]"Why? Look how tall they are! I mean, do you have any idea how many things have tried to eat me since you all kicked me out? These softskins are all vicious killers, so they're good protection. Like bodyguards!"[/sblock]
Jax motions to Sir Exsixten with that last statement.
[sblock=Draconic]I did not kick you out, it was your parents decision. And-

Wait you mean, like, free bodyguards?
Jaz says eagerly.
[/sblock]

Uncle Jaz talks for a bit in Draconic then nods his head. No, no more stealing! That just gets us into trouble and I don't want any more trouble!

We will have to use plan B. I have a treasure map...somewhere...Jaz says rooting through his pouch. Hmm, swear it was here...Anyway I have the coordinates written down here he produces a piece of paper.

When I was exploring a abandoned mansion in Bacarte I found an old book and maps referencing a island that holds all the family's treasure. Since there are all dead, it is finders keepers, right?

Anyway, I thought we could go to this island and find the treasure and your bodygu- I mean friends could come along to help. Surly we would find enough stuff to pay back Wellington right? I mean the mansion was really really big and looks like it had a lot of good stuff in it before it burned down...

So how about it? It will be like a treasure hunt! Except our family gets all the money and, um, you'll get 10% off your next purchase at our store! And we'll name a trap after one of you! Or something. So how about it softskins and, um, shinyskin? he says looking around.

[sblock=Perception=25 (rolled)]
While Uncle Jaz is talking, for a second you see the curtain that partitions off the room from the rest of the tavern rustle slightly, like somebody brushed against it.

[sblock=Perception=30 (same roll)]
For a quick moment you spot through the gap a female Eladrin listening in on your conversation. She quickly vanishes the moment she lays eyes on you.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
 

covaithe

Villager
"If we go fetch this treasure for you, and pay Wellington what he's asking, what's to stop him turning around next week and asking for double?" Quagmire asks.
 

Luinnar

Villager
"If we go fetch this treasure for you, and pay Wellington what he's asking, what's to stop him turning around next week and asking for double?" Quagmire asks.
Um...uh, Uncle Jaz stutters, unsure of the answer. He shrugs. I suspect we will have to keep paying, but this will keep him off our back for a little while.

He can't expect us to get loads of treasure for him every month, can he?
 

covaithe

Villager
"Hmm. Actually, you may have a point there. It would be stupid for him to keep demanding that kind of money from you, month after month. It's stupid for him to ask that much in the first place; it would be far cheaper for you and your family to pull up stakes and relocate to some other gang's territory, rather than actually pay him. And that's dumb. If he's in the protection racket, he shouldn't be trying to drive you away, he'd want to keep you there indefinitely and keep paying him on a regular basis. Even if you don't leave, word will get out to other merchants in the area, and some of them will certainly leave. No, something funny is going on here. Wellington needs cash fast, and he's willing to throw away future income for it. I wonder..." Quagmire drifts into thought for a few moments, then shakes his head.

"No matter. If you know where some treasure is hidden, we should go dig it out. I don't think we give any of it to Wellington, but we can talk about that after we've actually got the loot, eh?"
 

Luinnar

Villager
"Hmm. Actually, you may have a point there. It would be stupid for him to keep demanding that kind of money from you, month after month. It's stupid for him to ask that much in the first place; it would be far cheaper for you and your family to pull up stakes and relocate to some other gang's territory, rather than actually pay him. And that's dumb. If he's in the protection racket, he shouldn't be trying to drive you away, he'd want to keep you there indefinitely and keep paying him on a regular basis. Even if you don't leave, word will get out to other merchants in the area, and some of them will certainly leave. No, something funny is going on here. Wellington needs cash fast, and he's willing to throw away future income for it. I wonder..." Quagmire drifts into thought for a few moments, then shakes his head.

"No matter. If you know where some treasure is hidden, we should go dig it out. I don't think we give any of it to Wellington, but we can talk about that after we've actually got the loot, eh?"
But,but,but what if he just wants to make an example of us and will kill us anyway? Jaz says nervously. What if he is going to burn the business down regardless and-

Wait, not pay him? You mean, like, keeping the treasure ourselves? Jaz says excitedly. With that amount of money, we could expand! We could have a shop in Daunton and Jax could run it under my supervision!

If you softskins can do that we'll make you honorary Trapspringers! Jaz says happily.
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
As the kobold made his reply, the curtains that partitioned the room off from the rest of the tavern fluttered briefly, long enough to admit a bedraggled looking crow. The bird fluttered in and landed on one of the chairs- and instant later a sharp featured elf appeared where the bird had been, sitting casually on the chair. Casually except that he carried a strung longbow with an arrow nocked. "Don't suppose any of you know who that nice eladrin woman was, who was spying on your conversation? Don't bother looking- she took off like a shot..."

[sblock= OOC]
>Still not done with leveling up, but joining the thread.

>Perception 1d20+21, best of two rolls from boon power= 28, 34; rolls Roll Lookup
[/sblock]
 
Andras steps into the room, calmly sipping some steaming liquid from a ceramic cup. He looks around at all assembled, "Err, sorry I'm late."
 

Luinnar

Villager
GM: Still plenty of time to level up and buy equipment :)

"Don't suppose any of you know who that nice eladrin woman was, who was spying on your conversation? Don't bother looking- she took off like a shot..."
Wow, your bodyguards can fly too! Uncle Jaz says happily to Jax.

Well we have 7 Dragonborns, 11 Lizardmen and 112 Kobolds working for us, most of which I can't remember their name. We had Eladrin buy from us of course, but nobody I know personally...maybe she sold my map
? Uncle Jaz says, starting to root through his bag again.
 

Luinnar

Villager
So its settled then! Uncle Jaz says happily.

Well I knew this was going to happen anyway,
he looks at Jax, so I booked us a ship named The Endurance that will take us to the island. Come on I'll show you. With that he gathers his belongings and exits the private room.

The party follows Jaz outside the tavern and to the docks. The day is sunny with a nice breeze.



Although the docks bustle with their usual feverish activity, you have no trouble identifying the Endurance among the other ships. It is a large, handsome ship in excellent repair. Even untrained eyes can recognize that the ship has undergone frequent work to keep her in top shape. The Endurance’s three masts loom above you as you approach. Even with the sails furled, you can tell from the extensive rigging that the many sails must make this a fast ship. You see a dozen or more sailors busy making preparations on every part of the ship.

The Endurance is something of a cross between a galleon and a frigate. Currently, it is painted midnight blue with red and white trim.The ship’s figurehead is the head and torso of Neptune. He has long, flowing hair and clutches a trident in one hand and gently grasps a seahorse in the other.

As the group walks along the dock, one of the sailors near The Endurance notices the party. Hail, mateys! he calls to you in a gravelly voice. Are ye the persons we suppose ta carry? I’ll fetch the cap’n straightaway. He nimbly hops off and disappears below deck without waiting for your response


 

Advertisement

Top