• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure Help, PLEASE!

TheBrassDuke

Explorer
So for my campaign, I'm doing adventures in Teirs (1-5, 5-10, etc.). For the first arc I will be building up to a fierce encounter beneath the city, in the depths of a massive crypt. The final boss of Tier One is the Orb of the Undead (ripped straight from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance), and it has been placed (by whom?**) in the crypt to begin animating hordes of undead. At some point they will rise to the streets and attack citizens.

The PCs are going to have to battle their way through rat and goblin-infested sewers, and finally the droves of undead pouring upwards, in order to face off against this malevolent sphere.

Okay, so here's where I'm going blind. I don't really know what to do to bring the PCs together at the moment, or what to do leading up to this battle.

This is an unusual point in my career. I'm having some creative block, and I'm not sure why. I had ideas, and now--poof! They're gone.

For reference, I've got:

Gnome Artificer 1

"Dhampir" Rogue 1

Half-Elf Druid 1

Suli-Jann ("Jinn") Sorcerer 1

And an in-and-out Cleric (Creation and Good) 1

---------------------------

** A dread Necromancer will join the party at the end of tier 1; she is working for someone more powerful, and is responsible for placing the orb in the Chamber of Ashes. The party will think she's merely a wizard, and this won't become apparent until later.

--------------------

I've basically stated to my players that a week before the beginning, the earth rumbled so hard, a city to the east crumbled to the ground. A bright and blinding flash lit up the evening sky for eight full minutes.

The Druid comes to the city petitioning the governor for aid and questions regarding why his grove is falling apart, seemingly desecrated.

The rogue has been arrested for taking advantage of the widespread panic and looting.

The sorcerer is bound to the Artificer, and is assisting him in exchange for freedom of services down the line.

The Artificer has been in talks with local academics and a few wizards, trying to figure out what happened.

-----------------

I'm ashamed of what little I have to go on. It's been very strange, having such a block before game time.

Please help! I'm at a complete loss of how to proceed before the climactic showdown for part one.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't see your problem.
You've got an (un)natural disaster occurring and a # of adventurer types handy for city officials to throw at the problem.
"Congats, in the name of the city, you've just been drafted. Yes, you'll be compensated for your services. (other groups have as well btw) So, the 1st thing we need you to do is go investigate (neighborhood in city). Ever since that earthquake last week Goblins! have been coming out of the sewers over there...."

Turns out the goblins - while viscious in their own right - are actually fleeing the undead who're entering their traditional tunnels.
Next up? Undead goblins!

I really like the idea that [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] suggested. The only thing I can think to throw onto that would be the following:

• The Artificer gets information from the other sages that District X has been very peculiar and they would greatly appreciate if he could investigate what is happening there. It would definitely lead to a greater understanding of the recent phenomenon. Perhaps he can't get in without permission from the Mayor/Captain of the Guard/Form WXS-2 which must be filled out in triplicate.
  • The Sorcerer goes with the artificer because "buddy-buddy cop movie huzzah!"
  • The Druid is directed to the same district. What is happening there is very similar to the beginning of the blight that affected his grove. (Now we've got 3 of the 4 there!)
  • The Rogue is sent to assist the other more upstanding members of society. He gets a deal from the watch. Do this for us and we'll expunge your record. And just to make sure he doesn't skedaddle, one of the churches puts a curse (Mark of Justice or Geas/Quest) on him to ensure that he fulfills his end of the bargin. This would also give your "in and out" cleric reason to adventure.

For added fun, when the party is exploring the sewers make a point of how the goblins have barricaded various intersections and entryways. Not to keep the PCs out but to keep the undead in. Something they shouldn't figure out until it's too late. (Good job breaking it, hero.)

TheBrassDuke

Explorer
Glados reference, for the win.

Well, guys, thank you very much! I really appreciate the suggestions so far, and I think something just came back! I've got a plan, and I will definitely use this for a start!

As a side note, the sorcerer doesn't quite like the artificer, seeing as his Efreet half-siblings tricked him into the gnome's service. He's helping because he's got no real choice.

Remove ads