Adventure in the Open Skies: The Liralen Irregulars (Eberron, Updated 5/10)

Micah

First Post
The last map for a while

Ship level 10

The bosun's quarters and the brig.

And the observation deck.

Attachments

• Level 10.jpg
    Level 10.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 264

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #9: To Kill a Prince

Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you Micah for posting all the decks of the Liralen. Its nice seeing them one by one with descriptions, as you can imagine, its easy to forget what is what sometimes with such a large ship, even for us players. :)

And thank you too for posting Tmaaas! As far as being 'railroaded', yes we have limited say on what goes on with the airship's destinations, but we are allowed flexibility in what we do in our ports of call. In fact, just such escapades will be the subject of a post or two in the near future...

Krafus, Boss and Dravot, thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that this storyhour is being enjoyed. :)

Krafus, Ruel is using the entertainer wizard template out of the Quintissential Wizard book, modified a touch. With that, Perform becomes a class skill which helps him keep up with Kashandi a bit. Also he gains the ability to 'bluff' spellcasting while performing, and Tmaaas and I have devised a system where appropriate spells (Image spells, Disguise Self, Pyrotechnics, etc) boost a perform roll. Both of these were instrumental (pardon the pun) in Ruel beating Kashandi the first time. Don't worry, Ruel will compete!

If nothing else a Tasha's Hideous Laughter at the right moment... :D

Now, without further ado...

Dox lounges against the railing of the small balcony adjacent to the dining hall. Inside, a few of his friends are still clearing dishes, but the passengers have all retired. All except for Audric, that is. The ‘secret’ crewman of the Liralen has kept more visible lately, as all of them are on edge after the incident with Ruel and the false Kashandi. They suspect someone onboard is impersonating crew members, and Loki, Fortunato and Elisa all have recounted strange experiences with other crew members that seem to indicate Ruel’s experience is not an isolated one. He is gratified, however, that no one leveled accusations at him. Usually he is the first suspect in situations like these.

Dox stifles a chuckle as he thinks on what Ruel’s s encounter with the real Kashandi had been like when he questioned her, the entertainer was reticent in describing it, save that he was quite sure the Kashandi that had asked about the Prince was not the real Kashandi. Audric had offered that the fake Kashandi had seemed very polite, even kind to Ruel, and Ruel seemed to suspect her at first of being drunk. Subsequent conversation dispelled that notion, but the imposter had left the crew quarters and slipped pursuit before more could be learned. Ruel confronted the real Kashandi practicing in the dining hall, and Ruel had left both frustrated and convinced the woman he spoke with before was a fake. Ruel had certainly channeled his frustrations, however, his performance was inspired for the evening meal, and Kashandi left without participating in clean-up duty, in a sour mood herself.

The patter of metal feet on the deck below distracts Dox. Leaning over the rail, he can see it is just Fortunato, delivering a meal to the Prince’s quarters. But why has he stopped? And why is he staring at the cargo hatch? And why did he just drop the covered platter and draw his longsword?

“There is an invisible man flying up through the hatch, he is moving towards the royal deck! Towards the Prince’s quart… The Prince!” Fortunato runs forward and starts pounding on the royal cabin’s door.

Dox hesitates, looking up to see Elisa, on guard duty on the royal deck. She looks around furiously, but the rest of them cannot see the assailant. Dox cannot help but wonder how Fortunato can. Finally, Elisa runs to the small hatch and stairwell that leads down to the Prince’s quarters from the royal deck, and the only door aside from the one Fortunato is hammering on, interposing herself at the Prince’s door.

Beside him, Ruel is concentrating and gestures an arm out as he calls out an arcane phrase. As he finishes he stares hard at the open space before him, shaking his head, he calls out to Fortunato, “Did I get him? Where is he now?”

Fortunato spares a brief glance about while still pounding on the door, desperately trying to get anyone’s attention inside. “I don’t know. I’ve lost him!” Ruel frowns and begins another complex series of gestures, murmuring, as he focuses intently. Beside them both, Audric and Alexandre are drawing weapons and jumping down from the dining room to the lower deck to join Fortunato. Loki too is running out of the ship with great axe in hand.

Dox blinks as he looks around him. How can he attack someone he cannot see? Suddenly he has a flash of inspiration, the kitchen stores on the other side of the ship! Flour! Turning he runs back through the dining area, down the stairs, through the hallway outside the passenger quarters towards the opposite end of this ship.

Probably the last thing Alexandre expects to appear next to him is a large scorpion reeking of sulfur, but appear it does and the wide-eyed deckhand watches it immediately scuttle forward and swipe a claw at what seems to be empty space outside one of the royal cabin’s windows. Beside him, Ruel leaps down, landing gracefully and freeing his crossbow. “In front of the scorpion, he is there, by the window!”

Fortunato ceases his pounding and moves to the opposite side of the royal cabin from the scorpion, peering through one of the large windows. Looking through the Prince’s room, he sees the assassin again, outside the window opposite him. His eyes widen as he watches the glass shatter, and the assassin moving inside.

Pylas has been Prince Adal’s bodyguard for seven years, a good stretch for a protector of the ‘Warlord of Aundair’. A flight on a Lyrandar airship seemed a fairly safe enterprise, and he has been looking forward to passage on the latest model of the flying vessels. A pleasant assignment, all things considered.

Suddenly in the middle of the night, there is heavy pounding on the Prince’s door, as if someone is hitting it with a ram. Both he and the Prince are up immediately. He runs out of his own tiny quarters adjacent to the Prince’s and through the bathroom, finding the Prince meeting him at the door, both still in their nightclothes. He hustles him through and locks him in his cramped quarters, while drawing his blade and standing protectively in front of the door to the bathroom. The only way to the Prince is through him.

The glass of the window to his left shatters, though there is nothing that seems to cause it. Pylas sees a splatter of blood against the window sill, as a large claw from outside the window snaps at something. To his right and in front of him another window shatters, and a warforged with a longsword and shield steps through. To his left and before him a third window is shattered and a giant of a man leans through with a huge great axe in hand. Swallowing a sudden lump in his throat, Pylas briefly wonders if his lengthy tenure of service is about to end.

Fortunato tries to point out the invisible attacker to the bodyguard and Loki, but a moment later a black leather sack becomes visible to all three of them, falling open in the center of the room. Skittering, chittenous creatures scurry out the opening, beginning to carpet the floor of the room.

Loki and Pylas skirt the swarm of insects warily. Fortunato charges right through them. Two longswords and a great axe whistle through empty space. Suddenly, the assassin appears, completing an acrobatic dodge in that space, jabbing his weapon at the Prince’s bodyguard, who deflects it easily. But the assassin is already flying back out the window and into the open air beyond the Liralan’s railing, out of reach of the three warrior’s weapons.

Zem’s eyes start drooping as he flies out over the royal deck, suddenly the gravity of the situation, all the hard work to reach this moment, the restless nights in the ship’s hold, it feels like its too much, maybe he could just close his eyes awhile…

…No! He shakes off the Sleep spell and surges towards the staircase leading down to the Prince’s quarters from the royal deck. That was too close. Zem’s fingers tighten around the javelin. Things are turning against him. The element of surprise has been lost, and how had that warforged seen through his invisibility? A lump rises in his throat as he descends the tight spiral of the stairwell. If he can just get into the cabin and dump the hungry scorpedes, their collective poison should immobilize Adal for the moment he would need. . .

The vision of Adal writhing under the stingers of his pets scatters abruptly. Zem dodges out of the swath of steel the guardswoman in the stair is wildly creating in an attempt to block the door. He’d already practiced picking the door lock, but as easy as it was, it couldn’t be accomplished through the guard. Even invisible, there just wasn’t the room to move about in the stairwell to try and avoid the wild sword thrusts. Frustrated he floats back out of the stairwell and down the side of Adal’s cabin, keeping the walls between him and that warforged.

Zem’s hands are shaking uncontrollably as he places his cheek against the window pane. Time is running out! He hears shouts from the deck and the sound of more spell-casting. If he can just get into the Princes quarters another way. The warforged guards the door on this deck, and the female guard, although unable to see and pursue him, has set up an effective block on the other entrance. Zem fingers the lock on the window. Transferring the javelin to the hand holding the squirming leather bag he shakily selects a pick from his tunic pocket.

He never has a chance to steady his hand to use it, as a giant scorpion rounds the corner. The creature somehow senses his position and closes. Zem, adrenaline coursing even higher, drops the idea of stealth and shatters the window with the base of the javelin. The scorpion manages to rake his side as he clambers through, heedless of the minor cuts from the glass shards.

Scanning the dusky interior leaves his heart frozen in the pit of his stomach. Adal isn’t in sight; the bodyguard is mimicking the fighter in the stairwell, backed against a closed door, sword drawn and weaving in front of him. The windows on two sides of the room explode and he hears the warforged calling out his position above the crash. He is no match for the opponents entering the room. Zem’s adrenaline leaves a bitter taste in his mouth as suddenly he realizes his mission has little chance of success.

It’s an instantaneous thought that he may not survive to try again. Fear rushes through him, but he tries one last tactic. Dumping the bag of scorpedes he gives up the now limited protection of the invisibility as he swipes at the bodyguard. The attack does not even penetrate the man’s defenses. Zem could take the bodyguard down with his javelin, but that would simply be a waste of power, leaving him nothing to deal with the ruler behind the door, who would not be defenseless. Turning he flies back out of the window, shooting over the railing of the Liralen and into the cool dark air beyond. . . .

He’s already beyond the reach of most of the guards and he will be well away before they are even aware he is gone. Suddenly there is a sharp pain in his neck, a sudden choking sensation as blood fills his throat, then darkness…

Dox and Ruel share a grin and Ruel gives him a thumbs-up. Two bags of flour lie by the bartender, and he is covered in the powdery baking material, but it is his arrow now lodged in the assassin’s throat. Still under the effects of a Fly spell, the assassin’s body slowly spins down beyond the rail of this ship. Ruel is already calling out for someone to call a gryphon rider out to retrieve it.

Suddenly a searing pain shoots up Dox’s leg and he looks down to see a scorpede’s stinger imbedded in his ankle. Yelping, he kicks his foot out reflexively and sends the vermin flying off the edge of the airship. Ruel calls out sharply; he too has one of the creatures clinging to his leg. From the royal deck above, Audric leaps down and delivers a precise kick, which catches the scorpede, knocking it off the entertainer and crushing it against the deck. Elisa is clambering down less gracefully, and soon the whole deck, along with the royal quarters, resounds with the thunk of metal weapons on the wooden deck and the crunch-squish of dying scorpedes.

Last edited:

Krafus

First Post
Aah, assassination attempts on royalty, a staple of fantasy. I wonder what will come of this? And how did Fortunato see the invisible Zem, anyway? I want more!

tmaaas

First Post
Krafus said:
And how did Fortunato see the invisible Zem, anyway? I want more!

Fortunato has the following custom template:

Warforged Bodyguard [template]

Besides the basic warrior model, House Cannith produced a variety of more specialized warforged. Of these, one of the most popular and successful was the warforged bodyguard. These warforged were created to protect wealthy and important individuals by improving the base model's abilities in both defense and detection.

Creating a Warforged Bodyguard

"Warforged Bodyguard" is an inherited template that can be added to a warforged (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A warforged bodyguard uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Spell-Like Abilities: A warforged bodyguard may continuously see invisibility per the spell.

Special Qualities: A warforged bodyguard has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus darkvision out to 60 feet and enhanced senses (see below).

Enhanced Senses (Ex)
* +2 racial bonus to spot (sight), listen (hearing), and search (touch).

* Ability to detect poison via taste and smell. This is done with the orifice through which the warforged ingests potions and does not involve a risk of being poisoned. The warforged bodyguard may identify the exact type of poison using the same rules as the Detect Poison spell.

Using this ability for ingestible substances is a standard action which provokes an attack of opportunity (same rules as for using a potion). The ability to detect air-borne poisons operates continuously.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Con +2.

Feats: Warforged bodyguards gain a free Adamantine Body or Mithril Body feat.

Level Adjustment: +1.

Last edited:

Micah

First Post
PhoenixAsh said:
the crunch-squish of dying scorpedes.

It was supposed to be harder than that. I had a table of incidents on board starting with mundane things like a crew member coming to eat twice for one meal all the way up to the Kashandi incident which I knew would catch attention. I was pretty certain that our assasin would get caught before hand.

If the assassin was caught, the scorpedes would have hatched in hold #2 and escaped to virtually all over the ship causing panicked passengers and other interesting situations. (Some of which dealt with our undercover passenger Audric.)

However it came down to a sense motive die roll and Ruels player managed to come up with a great reply for a nasty roll - "I think she's drunk."

One of those classic situations where from a metagame standpoint you know somethings up, but your character is clueless.

We still had a great close to the session. It would have been a close call for Adal had the crew in general, and Elisa in particular, not acted as swiftly as they did. With Dox's player burning through an action point to aid the final shot - It was a fun night.

Black Bard

First Post
Congratulations, Phoenix Ash!!! Great writing!
And to Micah and Tmaas too, this campaign sounds promising!!! I just wonder how do you do this double-DM trick...

Just a couple of observations: the last update is numbered #10, but I haven't seen an update #9. And isn't this "Warforged Bodyguard" template a bit unbalanced (theorically)? I mean, now that you've put it in action???

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #10: Aftermath of an Assassination

A brief update with the immediate aftermath of the assassination attempt, courtesy of Micah with some minor edits by yours truly. The next one will be signifigantly longer and the rammifications of this little act of politics will certainly extend far further than this post...

Black Bard, thanks for the kind words, and for catching the incorrect posting #s.

Micah and Tmaas run a great game doing the 2 DM trick! I'm not entirely sure how they pull it off so well myself.

Some of Fortunato's abilities *have* been the subject of some interesting situations. I'll just say that as another teaser for some future postings... :)

Levic the artificer considers the various treasures found upon the body of the assassin. Much he identified easily – the magical coat of mithral – the masterwork items – those were fairly easy to figure out. For the odd javelin he has to resort to magical means.
His eyebrows shoot up as he works.

He watches Adal ir' Wynarn pace the deck, his brow furrowed as he surveys the body of the changeling that had tried to kill him. "Beggin', your pardon, sire – but you are lucky he never got off a throw with this. It's a Javelin of lightning and if those critters hadn't finished you off, this would have."

Adal studies the item closely. "I see. After you are done, secure the body for transport. I want to have it interrogated when we reach Fairhaven. Perhaps then I will have some answers." Adal then addresses the half-elf next to him. "If you don't mind, I think I will retire for the evening, Ravien."

"Yes – I've asked the stewards to prepare the guest room next to the Captain's quarters. It's been vacant since the Harpist of Cyre was unable to come, and I think that it will be less drafty for the time being. I'll post extra guards for the evening, but I think the lion's
share of the danger is done with." Ravien watches the prince head towards his new quarters and sighs quietly.

"Levic, tomorrow could you start repairs to the windows on the royal suite? It won't be necessary tonight. I'll take that mithral shirt, the gems, and enough of the coinage to make up the Liralen's cut – make sure the rest gets back to the crew members responsible for
heading off this business.

Wydeth, I'd like to see them all at lunch in the captains dining area – to extend my gratitude. Could you see that their duties are covered for the early morning through the meal? Post fresh guards for the night in stairwell off of the captain's quarters, and in the
Expedition room.” The Liralen’s second mate nods smartly and moves off quickly below decks.

”Vijaya, how are we doing with tracking down those bugs and keeping the crew on their feet?"

Vijaya d'Jorasco looks up from tending the bite below the entertainer's knee. "All but one of the bugs are accounted for sir. The remaining one went up the elemental support. – Alexandre – the seaman with the thinblade – went after it. I'd rather he's bit than falls. The poison is easier to deal with than that many broken bones. A bite here or there we can handle. If anyone had been bit multiple times – well, things could have been a lot worse.

Grelyn asked if we could save one to dissect. . . . I have to say, I didn't quite believe you when you talked about the action that you thought we might encounter. This'll turn my hair grey yet!"

Ravien looks down at the healer with a smile – "If Grelyn hasn't managed to do that, I don't think you'll have to worry.** There were reasons why I wanted a healer who had seen combat aboard."

An excited yell brings the conversation to a halt. Alexandre, supported easily by Loki, gives a grin and flicks the last scorpede off of his dagger. "Got `em!” The remark though is followed by a shade of green passing the swashbucklers face. "But I am feeling a bit
seasick, for the first time in my life. I killed it, but it bit me. I think, if I can avail myself of some of your aid, I will feel again like I came out with the better deal."

Micah

First Post
Black Bard said:
I just wonder how do you do this double-DM trick...

tmaaas and I seem to complement each others abilities. He has a mind for the game mechanics and thrives with combat scenarios. I like visuals and thus I get to make the game maps and counters. Both of us like to plan together and usually we come up with better ideas after batting things back and forth before game sessions. In game we usually divide up certain areas for one of us to run and the other to ride shotgun. It seems to work well and we enjoy it.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #11: A New Assignment

Most of the crew enjoys a half-day of rest, to be followed by lunch with Ravien in the captain’s dinning area. Many are quite relieved to take a break from ship duties and placating the prestigious passengers aboard the Liralen, and attending to their myriad demands. Ruel is the only one who works during that time, preparing several Mending spells and assisting Levic with the repairs to the royal cabin’s windows.

At lunchtime, Captain D'meryl ushers all of them into the aft dinning area and then leaves to head a table in the passenger hall.

Ravien and one of the passengers are already present in the room. The Lady Elaydren d'Vown, a human female dressed in a shimmering blue glammerweave gown smiles at the arriving crew members. She has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. She wears a signet ring of House Cannith on her right ring finger and greets the party with a soft clear voice as they are introduced by Ravien.

As the meal is brought to the table, Ravien thanks the crew. "The actions you took last night are appreciated, and it gives me great hope that the Liralen will actually become the ship that I have envisioned. Your actions saved the life of the prince of Aundair, and they have paved the future path for the Liralen. She has been designed not merely to transport cargo from one port to another, but as an expedition ship, and in that sense her greatest asset is crewmembers like you.

I'd like to introduce you all to the Lady Elaydren d'Vown. When we depart Thrane we will be undertaking a side venture on behalf of Cannith West. A venture that could be very profitable, yet its success lies in the type of teamwork displayed last night. I think
that I will let her explain more, Elaydren?"

While a part of the social elite, Elaydren is popular among the assembled crew, being one of the more reasonable passengers and having chatted amiably with many of them between their duties. "My house has been working to find a family heirloom; the recovery of this item would be something of great value to us.

A month ago we were all certain that this relic was lost forever, yet that all changed as I was contacted by a dwarf named Fintan McGuenter. I have reason to believe that his statements are true at this point. He claims to hold the information we seek – the knowledge of this artifact's current location. I will be meeting with him to get a full report when we reach Fairhaven."

Elaydren draws a breath and looks steadily at each of you in turn. "I need the help of the Liralen because right now it seems most likely that the artifact resides in the Mournland. . . . a recovery job that lies beyond the average, but from what I have heard from Master
Ravien, this ship and its crew are far from average," a twinkle lights her eyes as she smiles. "From what I've seen so far, I'm inclined to agree."

”What of the rest of our passengers?” Fortunato asks as Elaydren concludes. “Surely they will not wish to travel with us over the Mournland.” The warforged shifts forward as he speaks, his voice tinged with apprehension.

It is Ravien who answers, “Our passenger compliment will be disembarking in Aruldusk and will have the option to take several nights lodging there.”

“Are we going to try and land the ship there or…?”

Ravien cuts off Alexandre’s thought quickly. “One of the pinnaces will bring a small ground party to the location, who will attempt to retrieve the item.”

“Just what sort of item are we talking about here?” Dox interjects.

Elaydren hesitates a moment before answering. “The heirloom that I am looking for is a diamond-shaped ‘schema’. It is an adamantium plate the size of one’s hand. It means a lot to my House to recover this item.”

Ravien nods and states, "The finders fee for the recovered schema will go to those crewmembers who bring it back. As you all have proven yourselves already, I'm
offering you the first chance to be a part of the landing party."

Ruel, who has been staring quite intently at Elaydren leans forward. “Aside from the obvious dangers of the Mournland, are there any other particular threats you anticipate? Does anyone else know of this… schema?”

“No, no I do not believe anyone else has knowledge of it. And it would be best for all involved if it stayed that way, if I may ask you all to exercise the utmost of discretion with this information.” Elaydren encompasses the table with a smile. A brief shadow passes over Ravien’s face as he studies Ruel, but it passes, as the wizard is the first to agree to the mission.

It is Fortunato, who is the most hesitant and he voices this quietly, “I do not wish to see what has become of Cyre.”

Ravien’s expression clouds, “I had thought you particularly suited to this task Fortunato. But if you do not wish to undertake it, well, the pinnaces can only safely hold six in any event. I will insist that you be part of the second team I am assembling, however, should the first fail.”

Fortunato nods slowly with a hint of resignation. The rest of the party looks uncomfortable, and a few puzzled looks are given to the warforged, mixed in with trepidatious glances amidst them all at the possibility of failure.

Ravien nods curtly, “Then there is only more item. Queen Aurala has extended her summons to the seven of you to a banquet in her honor at Fairhold, in thanks for saving the life of her brother. As your presence will be required immediately upon our docking in Fairhaven, you will be excused from shore duties. Ruel can show you the way to Fairhold, I am certain.”

Ruel looks practically stricken at this assignment, but manages a quick bob of his head.

Ravien stares hard at his entertainer for another moment before rising, “Please do your best to give a good impression. That is all.”

Krafus

First Post
Heh heh, this schema plot looks interesting. I wonder if the other factions in House Cannith will get in on the action before it's done? Guess I'll have to wait and see. Oh, and I do wonder why Ravien seems annoyed at Ruel, and why Ruel was "stricken" when Ravien said he could lead the party to Fairhold.

Remove ads