• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] Murder Most Foul! Part 2 (Judge: EvolutionKB)

KarinsDad

Villager
---------------------------------------------

PCs:
Knoepf: Dwarf Cleric (dimsdale)
Garrick d'Orien: Human Swordmage|Warlock (Otakkun)
Malehan Valenar: Elf Avenger (Velmont)
Revekka Amalthea d"Deneith (Vex): Human Barbarian|Fighter (pathfinderq1)
Acre Hills: Half-Elf Ardent (nerdytenor)


Major Quests: Discover the murderer and take appropriate steps (i.e. take him/her/it to the authorities, kill him, drive him out of town, whatever). Knoepf has discovered the identity of the murderer, but he has no proof at this point with which to take this to the authorities.

Minor Quests: There were two side quests, but the PCs did not pick up on them.

XP Awarded: 3823 XP + 7 RP Part 1, 0 XP Part 2

Date Started: Part 1: Jan 4, 2010; Part 2: Aug 18, 2010
Judge: EvolutionKB

Rules of Play:

I don't have many rules of play. My main ones are to try to post at least once every day (with the possible exception for some people of weekends and holidays) and have fun. Let me know via PM if you have any issues with either of these (i.e. cannot post, or something is bothering you about the game).

I prefer conversations to be in character and not out of character. Please discuss in combat tactics in character (or ahead of time in character). If you want someone to flank for you, tell him to do so, or set up a code word to do so. I realize that people can PM each other to discuss tactics out of character, but I prefer that we don't do that.

Please pick a unique color "This is conversation" for your PC's talking and normal white for non-conversation descriptions. If you can, make the conversation color a brighter color.

Please use [sblock=OOC]This is for OOC, Actions, etc.[/sblock] for OOC, Actions, etc. Please write down the consequences of your actions as well. For example, if an attack which hits also gives a bonus to defense for another PC, please write that down within the Action sblock. I'd also like a stat block in sblock format as well so that we can more easily keep track of what resources have been used.

That's basically it.

KD
 
Last edited:

KarinsDad

Villager
The wind is even more brutally cold than it was a few days ago when Knoepf first set out on tracking down the murderer. Dark clouds are creeping in across the surface of the sky overhead. It's likely that a massive storm is brewing. Knoepf feels an unnatural chill beyond that which just cold weather could supply.

It is Sar. The morning of the day when one more killing will turn Ladoran into a god, at least according to Ladoran. Should the group head directly to Ladoran's house and confront him, or should they try a different tact?

Maybe if Knoepf could supply the group with more information, they can make a decision.
 

Otakkun

Villager
[sblock=OOC]Garrick speaks in RoyalBlue [/sblock]
[sblock=Combat Stats]Garrick d'Orien, Human Warlock|Swordmage 6
Speaks in RoyalBlue
HP 57/57 Temp HP 0
Initiative +4
AC 23, Fort 19, Reflex 19, Will 17
AP 1, Surges 11/11
Diabolic Grasp [ ]
Channeling Shield [ ]
Dimensional Vortex [ ]
Fey Switch [ ]
Vestige of Baatar [ ]
Frost Backlash [ ]

Special
+2 item bonus to all defenses against enemies under his warlock curse.
+2 temp HP every time Garrick hits with an arcane power an enemy marked by him.
[/sblock]
 

dimsdale

Villager
[sblock=ooc]
hey KD, I'm just waiting until the treasure parcel issue is resolved. Or should we just move on?
[/sblock]
 

dimsdale

Villager
Knoepf closes his cloak around his already tight chainmail armor to shield himself away from the cold. Comrades, as I mentioned to you about the three in the tavern, I personally believe the most immediate threat is the sorcerer Ladoran. He is a ruthless killer who sacrefices the innocent for his own personal gain. He needs to be stopped! He calms his anger by taking deep breath and letting it out slowly. I know the way to get to his last location, but before going there I believe we can get some much needed information from one who'd be willing to help. The one I'm referring to is a rival of Ladoran's. Let's go there an see what he can tell us.
 

Velmont

Villager
"Perfect, on the way, can you tell us more about what happen. I think it would be better to be as much prepared as possible."

[SBLOCK=OOC]In other word, I just want a reason to come with information form Part 1, meaning: Knoepf told me![/SBLOCK]
 

nerdytenor

Villager
[sblock=OOC]
I will post tonight or tomorrow morning
[/sblock]

[sblock=Bonuses for Acre's allies]
Within 10 of acre: +1 to Diplomacy
Within 5 of acre: +4 bonus to opportunity attack damage rolls and +2 (additional) to Diplomacy and Intimidate.
When acre spends a surge, an ally within 5 of acre can either gain 5 tmp hp or make a saving throw.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Acre Hills Stats]
Acre Hills, Half-Elf Ardent 6
Passive Perception 12, Passive Insight 14
AC 22, Fort 19, Reflex 16, Will 19 (base defenses)
HP 56/56 Bloodied 28 Surge Value 14, Surges 11/11
Speed 5, Initiative +4
Power Points: 4/4 Action Points: 1

Current Effects
none

Encounter Resources
First Ardent Surge
Second Ardent Surge
Ardent Outrage
Dimension Swap
Body Adjustment
Blazing Starfall
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Battleborn Acuity
Persistent Veil
Brooch of No Regrets
Bloodthirst Bracers
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Otakkun

Villager
"Sounds like a good idea" replies Garrick as he looks at his new companions.

"I'd also like to talk about strategy as we walk there..." he adds with a serious face.

"From what you've told us we're going against some dangerous men, so instead of forming strategies as we go, we should decide on our game plan from the start."
With that he looks at everybody, checking if he's got their attention.

"I'll start then. I specialize in melee combat, with a touch of arcane control. I can lock onto one target and shield others from his attacks, not to mention either slow then down of slide them around the battle field into whatever position favors us the most. I'm also able to change places with whoever is willing via arcane teleportation, not to mention a couple of long distance attacks designed to either incapacitae or bring closer the target. What about the rest of you?"
 

nerdytenor

Villager
Acre smiles as each of the others speaks, clearly happy to be in their company. After Garrick summarizes his specialties, the half-elf speaks.

"You see this?" he says, displaying his greatspear in dramatic fashion. "It tells you half of what you need to know about me. But it is an important half. I fight best immediately behind the front lines, harassing the enemy from just beyond reach."

The half-elf slowly circles the party, touching each of the other members on the shoulders. As he does, each feels a comforting energy flowing through them. "The other half comes from my mind. I can... share things with others. I can't fully explain it, but I seem to just connect in a certain way. And I'm not just talking about my latest female exploits," he adds, grinning. "Things just have a way of turning out better when I'm around. At least for everyone else...". The half-elf laughs deeply before indicating that he is done.
 

dimsdale

Villager
Knoepf chuckles. I'm affraid that I don't have a blade or blunt weapon as I have taken a vow never to use one. However, I am a healer by trade. I have sworn an other to the Lady of the Silver Flame to aide those who fight evil. In addition, I have ways to lesson the power and potential of foes that we may face. He face then moves to a mournful state. I...I wish I could have done more for those who perished in the cave in...but I could not. Looking back at his new formed comrades. Know this comrades...I will do whatever it takes to keep you alive in the fight against evil...even if it puts my life in peril...so is the path I choose.
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
Vex had left her hat behind in the tavern, and she settled her greatsword into the harness across her back as soon as she stepped out the door. She listened as each of the others made their skills known- while she kept a smile on her face, her eyes narrowed as she assessed each of her new comapnions in turn. "I tend to fight close-in as well- it rather looks as if most of us do... Knoepf, it looks as if you've found yourself quite a handful of bodyguards. I'm pretty good in a fight, against one foe or several- I can keep someone's attention, and I hit hard. And I'm a lot tougher than I look..." She punctuated her last comment with a laugh. "What can you tell us about this fellow we're going to see? Will he want to help, do you know, or will he need to be convinced?"

[sblock= OOC] Vex is a Barbarian/Fighter hybrid, slight more inclined to the Striker half. Sheet is here: http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:PC:Vex_(pathfinderq1) . I'll put together a summary soon. [/sblock]
 

Velmont

Villager
"I'm a melee figther. I tend to focus on a single person, generally I prefer to go for the ones behind the line and isolate them or force them to go to the front line." tells Malehan.
 

KarinsDad

Villager
Knoepf relays some more information to the group as he heads toward the Lower Central Plateau and eventually down into Khyber's Gate.

[sblock=OOC]
People can go back and read part 1 and have a general knowledge of what happened before.

It's a long read though, so skipping past the sblocks is probably the way to go if you want to do that.
[/sblock]

Knoepf explains that the party is going to go meet with a goblin named Merrick. Merrick is a criminal rival to Ladoran and runs his business out of the back of the tavern Shamukaar. Knoepf was told that Merrick is into gambling, drugs, whores, weapons, exotics, slaves, and probably other nasty activities.

Shamukaar is a very unusual tavern and the party feels a bit self conscious the moment they walk in the door. Most of the patrons are goblins like the rest of the area in Khyber's Gate, but there are many other races of creatures in here as well, none of them human, dwarven, or elven. Many people here are staring curiously towards the group.

The one entire side of the tavern is a slaughterhouse where workers are currently mopping up piles of gore. Several employees appear to be cutting up meat on that side and there appears to be a butchers counter and a small crowd of people waiting their turn to purchase there. This side of the tavern is very loud as the various monstrous patrons eat, drink, laugh, and generally appear to be having a great time.

It appears that the owners of Shamukaar are doing well as it is lit from the ceiling with everburning torches. It does not have the smell of smoke that most taverns with torches and fireplaces have, rather the smell is that of many monstrous bodies.

Knoepf leads the group to the far back on the opposite side from the butcher area where it is more quiet. The tavern is a lot larger than any other tavern the party has recently seen, it's more like a warehouse and the noise drops down in this direction as there are a lot fewer patrons on this side and the ones that are here are not celebrating, rather they are having low voiced conversations in small groups of twos and threes, separated from their fellow diners. Several of these smaller groups have the most monstrous of individuals that the party has seen: particularly a few giants, some types of elementals, and undead in heavy robes.

As the group approaches one particular set of tables in the corner, two Minotaurs stand up and walk up to the group. Heavily muscled, armored in scale, and with giant axes, these two appear to easily be the equal or better of Vex each. Additionally, there are a half dozen armed and armored Gnolls and Hobgoblins sitting at nearby tables watching the group. Knoepf does not spot Merrick in the back of the tavern.

One of the Minotaur says "What do youse clowns want?"
 

dimsdale

Villager
"What do youse clowns want?"
Knoepf glares at the two guards. Let's just say that my comrades and I need to speak to your boss about some urgent business in which both of us would want to be resolved quickly as possible. Now off with you!...Hurry!...There is no time to waist!
 

KarinsDad

Villager
The minotaurs look at each other for a moment "The runt wants us to snap to it. Go get the boss. Quick, quick like." the first one says.

It then turn towards Knoepf. "The boss doesn't want to be bothered by the likes of youse. Go away little runt. Your mom must be looking for ya. Ha, ha." the minotaur laughs deeply and loudly.

The other nearby patrons stop their conversations at the minotaur's throaty laugh. In this back part of the tavern, all eyes are on the party, both the half dozen nearby thugs, and another ten or so more monstrous creatures that are huddled discretely apart in small groups. Some look menacing, others are smiling as if they are about to be entertained, one way or another.
 

dimsdale

Villager
"The boss doesn't want to be bothered by the likes of youse. Go away little runt. Your mom must be looking for ya. Ha, ha." the minotaur laughs deeply and loudly.
Anger surges through his veins. Easy Knoepf, he says to himself. Looking around the room he notices all eyes are on him and his party. One can hear a pin drop before Knoepf speaks again. So be it! Knoepf yells in a strong commanding voice so that everyone can hear him. We will leave this foul place! However, if we fail in our quest to slay Merrick's rival Lodoran, who is currently up to something from which if he succeeds, will make him more powerful than he already is! This will surely upset the balance of power around here, shifting it more towards Lordoran. He pauses for effect, then turns to the guards and other nearby thugs and chuckles, Can you guess who he's going to come after next after taking us down?

With that, the cleric shakes his head and turns towards the door and prepares to leave.

ooc: diplomacy check: 12

Come comrades, if not the coward Merrick, maybe someone smart enough to understand the situation around here might meet us later.
 
Last edited:

pathfinderq1

Villager
Once they entered the bar, Vex had stepped into place just behind Knoepf's right shoulder- anyone with practical experience would be able to tell she was acting as a bodyguard to the dwarf. Once the nature of the place became clear, her smile widened and her eyes glittered with excitement- almost without noticing it, she began to clench and unclench the fingers on her right hand as if waiting for a sword hilt. She opened her mouth, but Knoepf managed to speak first, averting a bloodbath (at least momentarily). As the dwarf turned towards the door, Vex continued to watch the minotaurs...

[sblock= OOC] Anyone (on either side) who is trained in Insight can probably tell Vex is about a heartbeat away from a fight, but she isn't willing to actually START one herself. [/sblock]
 

nerdytenor

Villager
Acre's trademark grin remains despite the tense circumstances. Nevertheless, he keeps his right hand close to his greatspear.

[sblock=OOC Bonuses for all allies (including diplomacy)]
Within 10 of acre: +1 to Diplomacy
Within 5 of acre: +4 bonus to opportunity attack damage rolls and +2 (additional) to Diplomacy and Intimidate.
When acre spends a surge, an ally within 5 of acre can either gain 5 tmp hp or make a saving throw.
[/sblock]
 

Otakkun

Villager
Garrick sighs as he recognises the dwarf's strategy ... a risky gamble, since it would either get Merrick's attention or it would get them into a fight.

As Knoepf turns around, Garrick quickly steps forward to cover his back, eyes everywhere and a hand at the hilt of his sword.
 

Advertisement

Top