• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure]: Turning the Tide (DM: Dimsdale, Judge ??)

dimsdale

Villager
Welcome everyone to the adventure
Turning the Tide

Participants:

1. Eva: Elf Wizard L3 (Dekana)
2. Ignus Ironband: Kobald Monk L1 (Rapida)
3. Merri: Vampire L3 (FourMonos)
4. Graven: Warfored Hybrid Swordmage/Wizard L2 (VanderLegion)

As you enter the room you notice a stout human dressed in robes sitting at a table with chairs enough for five others not including the one the man sits in now. No one else is in the room except him. Torch light radiats the room. In front of the man is a large tome containing scribed notes in his own writing. There is also a large container of wine with glasses for six. He has poured a glass from himself already.


[sblock=Rules]
1. Borrowed from H.M.Gimlord and Mal Malenkirk...and Johnmeier1 :)
2. I've also borrowed Voda Vosa's map tool idea. In combat, you are allow to move your own token when you perform a move action. If you damage an enemy, you can deduct the amount of hp you cause to the creature.


Player Info: Include mini stat blocks in your posts. Mini-stat blocks allow you to keep track of your own healing surges, power usages, acquired items, etc... without having to ask the DM all the time. It's not the end of the world if you forget, but please be sure to include it when you are posting an action block. It also make it easier for me to check basic stats.

Example mini-stats:
[sblock=ministats]
Triggers: Fox's Cunning Trigger - Immediate Reaction to the First Enemy that attacks me in melee
Status: Bloodied
Init: +5 Speed: 5 Perception:22 Insight: 20
AC: 21 F/R/W:17/18/22
HP: 30/61 Surges: 4/8 Surge Value: 15 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:14 Con:14 Int:10 Cha:22

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind, Fox's Cunning, Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry, Majestic Word (0/2), Words of Friendship, Chord of Dissonance, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade, Virtue of Prescience
Daily - Arrow of Ill Omen, Arrow of Warning, Bracers of Archery, Inevitable Shot, Songbow of Vanishment, Warding Arrow

Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Passive checks: I will use Perception and Insight and put information in private sblocks for certain players. If you are not one of the intended characters, please do not read these spoilers. The character, however, is welcome to, in character, reveal the contents of the spoiler to the others in game, remember that talking is a free action (but keep in short)

Combat:

Players roll initiative individually, bad guys roll one initiative roll
Players with higher init than bad guys go first then all the bad guys go
Then all the players go. From this point, we alternate players vs bad guys
Good guy turns happen in first post - first acted order.
Illegal post-overs will be resolved in that round
Legal post-overs stand even if each didn't know the other was posting (Please use Go Advanced or Preview Post to avoid this)

DM Posts during combat will include:

Status of all players, monsters, NPCs etc... indicating Name, Location, HP/MaxHP, State, Healing Surges Left, Action Points left (i.e.:: Arkavas I6 -1/41 Dying HS 0 AP 1)

Map in the form of a grid, hopefully with coordinates

Enemy Mini Stat Blocks including HP, AC, Fort, Refl, Will, Immunities, Resistance, and Basic Attack. If there are more specialized powers, I will post them at the time of their use. Trigger powers for bad guys. If you provoke an AoO or a listed power during your turn you can roll the result (it will make less work for the DM and give you a rapid response)

Time: II will give players 48 hours to post, at the end of which time I reserve the right to RP the player's character on his behalf. I will use the most appropriate actions and At-Will powers only.

Exceptions: If you will be out for a long time and unable to post, please let the party know and assign responsibility to either myself or another, willing player for RPing your character, or I can write in a scenario that takes you out of the picture until your return (The former is preferred).

Treasure: Keep a wish list on your character sheet up to date with what you would like, and I’ll try to accommodate within reason. Items will be given relative to player level. Parcel Gold/Items will be evenly divided at the end.

Die Rolling: Roll your dice on Invisible Castle. If invisible castle is down, you can also use the Enworld Dice roller (but please select the SMALLER results in your profile) In IC, highlight the die roll in your post and use the 'Insert Link' button to post a link to your die rolls.

Out of Character Content: Post out of character content (i.e.: complaints, tactics, mechanics, etc...) in a spoiler with the letters 'OOC' in the title or the OOC tag.
[/sblock]

ooc: Please introduce yourselves in character and provide your statblock with the post.
 
Last edited:

treex

Villager
The rusty metal man in the tavern wears a worn-out tuxedo, which are severely torn at the heels and knees. Great tears run down the shoulder blades where two transparent cylinders protrude from, which seem to be filled with a dark red liquid. One sleeve has been completely torn off, to reveal a rusty arm with a huge syringe as larger than his forearm attached to it.

A cracked monocle covers one of his glowing eyes, which are currently an uplifting blue. A shabby top hat rests squarely on his head. He even carries around a crooked walking cane.

The comical attire contrasts strongly when matched with his intimidating presence. The rusty metal man croaks: "Uhh..me Kruor, you can call me Corey. Because Kruor hard to say. Hurr hurr hurr. Oh, wine...me pour..."

As he reaches for the container of wine, you can clearly see that his fingertips have been replaced with syringes, each tipped with a large piece of cork, probably to prevent any accidents.

Carefully, he pours the wine into four of the remaining five glasses. He offers the wine to the rest of the party, but doesn't pour anymore for himself. "Err...me sorry." he says apologetically to the robed human. "Me only drink blood." he said bluntly. "My daddy was a vampire!"

"Me never catch your name, by the way..."


[sblock=Stat Block]Kruor - Robot Vampire 2 (reskinned Warforged)
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11
AC: 19, Fort: 15, Ref: 18, Will: 16
Initiative: +5; Speed: 6
HP: 32/32, Temp HP:
Bloodied: 16, Surge Value: 8, Surges left: 2/2
Powers:
Dark Beckoning
Taste of Life
Vampire Slam

Blood Drinker [ ]
Warforged Resolve [ ]
Surprise Strike [ ]
Burst of Speed [ ]
Second Wind [ ]
Action Point [ ]

Swarm of Shadows [ ]
Cascading Strikes Ki Focus [ ]

[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Kruor everybody, the blood drinking robot with ADD.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Rapida

Villager
The kobold walks in muttering about not being any sort of motley, "I'm purely kobold, I ain't never had nothing to do with no motley." He stops his grumbling when faced with the badly dressed mechanical monstrosity, "Welp dat's new, I don't usually drank but that dah-serves an exception." After looking it over, he obviously decides that it is safe to drink with.

He stands on a chair in his tattered robe and sandals, "I'm Ignus Ironbrand, bet yah can figure out why." He looks up towards his forehead where a large ugly symbol is branded. He pours himself a glass, quickly downs it, and begins to pour another in all one smooth motion. For someone who "hardly ever drinks," he looks to have some practice.

[sblock=Stats]
Ignus – Male Kobold Monk 1
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Ignus_Ironbrand_(Rapida)

Initiative: +4, Speed: 6 Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11

AC: 17, Fort: 14, Reflex: 15, Will: 12

HP: 28/28, Bloodied: 14 , Surge Value: 7, Surges Left: 10/10

Action Points: 1

OA Basic Melee Attack: +5 Melee Basic Attack (Monk Unarmed Strike) 1d8+2 Damage

Powers At-Will Powers:Crane's Wings, Steel Wind, Shifty

Encounter Powers: Stinging Nettles, Shadow Step, Second Wind

Daily Powers: Lashing Rain
[/sblock]
 

VanderLegion

Villager
Another large warforged pushes his way into the room from the hallway. He looks around the room, taking in the strangely dressed robot and the branded kobold, then takes a place at the table. He peers at the glass in front of him, but doesn't move to pick it up to drink. "I am called Graven. I hear you have need of help for a job," he says to the human.[sblock="Stats"]Graven Male Warforged Hybrid Swordmage/Wizard (Good)
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11, Senses: Normal

Defenses:
AC: 18, Fort: 15, Reflex: 15, Will: 14
+2 saves against ongoing damage

Vitality
HP: 35/35, Bloodied: 17, Surge Value: 8, Surges Left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: unused

Languages:
Allarian, Silentus

Basic Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +6 vs AC - Longsword: 1d8+2
Ranged Basic Attack: Magic Missile - 6 damage

Powers:
At-Will: Magic Missile, Booming Blade
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Light, Presdigitation, Ghost Sound
Encounter: Aegis of Shielding (Special), Sword of Sigils, Color Orb, Warforged Resolve
Daily: Vanishing Blade, Guardian Blades

Weapons:
Longsword - 1d8

Conditions:

Living Construct - No need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep
Unsleeping Watcher - 4 hours of inactivity counts as an extended rest
Warforged Resolve - +2 bonus to saves against ongoing damage
Sword Bond - Can call sword to hand from 10 squares away as a minor action
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) - Regain use of swordmage aegis if target dies[/sblock]
 

Dekana

Villager
An elf girl steps into the room only a few moments after Graven. She carries a large staff with a crystal at the end and wears a spellbook in a pouch at her waist.

"Am I in the right place for the job?" asks Eva as she looks around. "I was expecting to see more heroes and less..." She trails off as she looks at the vampire-warforged and the kobold. "... uh, monsters."

"No matter! I'm Eva, and I'll be your mage for the trip. Please take good care of me!"

[sblock=Eva stat block]PC:Eva (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Elf Mage 3
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 11
AC:18, Fort:14, Reflex:17, Will:15 -- Speed:7
HP:32/32, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/8
Initiative +2
Action Points: 1

Conditions

Powers
Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Phantasmal Assault, Restless Dead, Magic Missile
Color Orb, Color Spray, Darkening Flame, Elven Accuracy, Second Wind, Shield, Spook
Summon Dretch

[sblock=spellbook]Encounter (2): Color Spray (3), Cordon of Bones (3), Darkening Flame (1), Ray of Enfeeblement (1)
Daily (1): Spirit Rend (1), Summon Dretch (1)
Utility (1): Shield (2), Summon Shadow Serpent (2)[/sblock]Notes: +2 damage rolls vs bloodied targets[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

dimsdale

Villager
The robed looks up and squints, trying to take a look at the new recruits Excuse me...now where did I put my glasses. Moving the large book he sees them and puts them on. Ah...yes, let's what who we have here...hmmmm...yes...in such short notice I believe the bartender did well. Looking at the empty chair, I'm sure I asked for five. Is there another one coming? Not waiting for an answer he states. Welcome everyone. I'm brother Navio, priest and servant of Lauto. I have much to tell you, but I prefer to wait until everyone has arrived. Please feel free to converse and have more wine. He turns back to his book and shifts some papers around as if he's preparing himself for a presentation.

ooc: just waiting on Formonus
 
Last edited:

Rapida

Villager
"Am I in the right place for the job?" asks Eva as she looks around. "I was expecting to see more heroes and less..." She trails off as she looks at the vampire-warforged and the kobold. "... uh, monsters."
The kobold turns towards the elf, "Don't worry I'll be your hero anytime," he strikes a small pose while still on the chair holding his wine glass. He has a sharp toothed grin as he tries to discreetly glance at Eva to make sure she is noticing.

When Navio suggest more wine, Ignus jumps at the oppurtunity but gets a suspicious look at the last second, "We ain't gonna be runnin' up no tab drinkin' 'dis wine are we? Don't want to drink away all the profit till we done with the thing."
 

treex

Villager
"I was expecting to see more heroes and less..." She trails off as she looks at the vampire-warforged and the kobold. "... uh, monsters."
"Hey! Me no monster! Me have feelings too, elf..." Kruor exclaimed. His eyes flare up into a dark crimson. "It not fair you judge book by cover, you should know most well..." he says as he points to the spellbook poking out of her pouch.

"Hmph..." Kruor puts down the container of wine in a huff. He looks back towards Eva and crosses his arms crossly.
 
Last edited:

dimsdale

Villager
Brother Navio clears his throat in order to gain the attention of the recruits. He takes a drink of his wine, then puts it down in front of him.

Due to the urgency of this task I'll tell you what needs to be done. If the other one shows up you can fill him in on the details. Time is the essence.

He shifts in he seat, then looks down at the floor where there is a large box. He then looks up

A little history...A year ago a young girl named Lerrick received a strange mark on her forehead. Her father, Lord Weinfurter ,contacted me about it. After researching the mark I discovered the bearer of the mark was to be sacrificed to the dreaded black dragon named Bosch. I've heard of this beast through stories told to me by elders, but I thought they were just rumors. However, researching more I discovered that there have been many sacrifices before Lerrick, each time the young girl kidnapped by the dragon's minions.

Not wanting this fate happen to Lerrick, I hired a group of adventures to escort the girl to Brother Butcha, one of the few who had the power to remove the mark. In order to reach brother Butcha, the party had to access a portal, which took them to the Valley of the Bone. It is here that is the location of Butcha's home. The party traveled through the portal successfully and arrived at Butcha's home, only to meet resistance from minions of the black dragon. After defeating the minions, the priest took the girl and performed the ritual, successfully removing the mark.


Navio takes another drink from his cup then continues...

There was not time to rejoice for the successful mission however, for the great beast arrived to claim his sacrifice himself. The party escaped the dragon only to hear behind them the dragon vow vengeance, claiming that he himself would return to Daunton himself with his horde and destroy the city of Daunton.

He pauses for his last statement to sink in...

The dragon is true to his word. A messenger of brother Butcha has informed me that the black dragon has assembled a large army of those loyal to him, and moved to the portal entrance of the Valley of the Bone.

He takes a final drink from the cup, emptying the contents.

Your mission, should you accept, is to take the explosive that I have in this box, travel to the portal located on our side, and place the explosive next to the portal. Once you've done that, back away to a safe distance and detonate the explosive, thus destroying the portal. It is my hope that by doing that we can stop the advancement of the black dragon and his horde. Bosch has may informants, some of which are here in Daunton, maybe even enjoying a drink in this tavern.

So...are you up for the task. If so, do you have any questions before I proceed? Iwith instructions on how to set the explosive and how to arrive at the portal?
 
Last edited:

treex

Villager
"Oh, me knew a Butcha. He lives down the street! Sells meat. I like him, he cut meat all the time. Like Kruor, me cut people all the time." Kruor's maw hangs loosely, as though he were grinning.
 

dimsdale

Villager
"Oh, me knew a Butcha. He lives down the street! Sells meat. I like him, he cut meat all the time. Like Kruor, me cut people all the time." Kruor's maw hangs loosely, as though he were grinning.
The cleric looks up at Kruor. Right...where you are going, someone of your skill set might be useful.

ooc: Let's get moving. We can do this with four.

To everyone... Come, we're waisting time. We can't wait anymore. The cleric leads them to the corner of the room and opens a trap door which leads to stairs going down. Go down here and follow the path. it will come to a T section. Turn to the left and follow the passage. You'll follow that until you get to another set of stairs going up to into a dense forest area. There is a small foot path which moves farther west to the mouth of a cave. Go into the cave and follow the path to the back of the cave. it is here that you'll be able to acces a secret door that leads to the portal. I've know about this route for years and only use it when I need to get people out of Daunton unseen. If the black dragon gets news of this he or his minions will kill you on the spot. You are no match for them...but you can greatly weakend his forces so that others can fight him.

As the group moves down the steps the into the passageway the cleric gives his parting thoughts. It's...been a while since I've used this passageway. Please be careful and keep an eye out. There is no telling what might be in there. Good luck...Oh...one more thing. He opens his cloak and takes out a belt filled with contains. Here is my oiler belt. Use the potions to cure you if you need it. Please give it back when you come back. Oh!...I almost forgot! Here is the sack of explosive.

The cleric goes through the instructions of setting and detonating the explosives, then bids you farwell.

As the party reaches the T-section the party hears noises to the left.

[sblock=oiler belt]
6 healing potions
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Dekana

Villager
Eva looks nervous as Kruor protests. She opens her mouth to respond, but then thinks better of it and remains silent.
There was not time to rejoice for the successful mission however, for the great beast arrived to claim his sacrifice himself. The party escaped the dragon only to hear behind them the dragon vow vengeance, claiming that he himself would return to Daunton himself with his horde and destroy the city of Daunton.
"What a spiteful dragon!" exclaims Eva. "Not at all like the Great Bronze of Kythiran legend. I hope we don't run into him."

OOC: No questions at this time...
 

VanderLegion

Villager
OOC: Is the tunnel lit or dark? And if lit, how far down does the tunnel go in the direction we hear sounds? (I'm assuming if it's lit it goes down some then turns and the sounds are around the corner. If it's dark, that may not be true of course.)
 

dimsdale

Villager
OOC: Is the tunnel lit or dark? And if lit, how far down does the tunnel go in the direction we hear sounds? (I'm assuming if it's lit it goes down some then turns and the sounds are around the corner. If it's dark, that may not be true of course.)
The tunnel contains a strange glowing moss that illuminates the walls. There is not enough light to see clearly, but enough to see obstructions near you. The noise comes from the left of the T-section. A peak around the corner reveals nothing. You gather that the noise echoes along the length of the tunnel. A torch light

[sblock=perception 15]
You hear squeaks and scurrying feat of small animals

[sblock=perception 20]
There are more than sounds you hear, one of them a deeper
voice than the others
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
ooc: Sorry i'm rushing this...Out of the pot and into the frying pan :) Please let me know who wishes to hold the belt and who contains the explosive an dcharges.
 

treex

Villager
Kruor takes the lead and sets a decent pace in front of the other three. Despite his best efforts to remain quiet, his new suit seems to be limiting a lot of his movement.

[sblock=Rolls]Stealth 13, Perception 9[/sblock]

OOC: Well, I'm off to a bad start >:[ But anyway, Kruor will take the front. He's very hardy. Regen2 while bloodied, at-will gives 4 temp HP, Warforged racial power and he heals to full after an encounter.

Also, Kruor will never spend his surges. So he won't be carrying any of the potions, you guys can have all six. I see we don't have a leader, but I'll try to keep everyone alive.
[MENTION=6676620]VanderLegion[/MENTION]: Roll call.
 

VanderLegion

Villager
Graven follows Kruor, managing to remain a bit quieter than the robot. After a short distance he puts a hand on his companions shoulder and motions for the group to stop moving. As they stop, he waves a hand and the sound of the group continues moving down the corridor.[sblock="ooc"]Rolls: perception/stealth - 1d20=2/1d20=17.

Completely failed the perception so dunno what's there, but since we heard some kind of sounds, I'll go ahead and use Ghost Sound to send the sounds of the group further down the corridor to hopefully draw out anything that might be unwelcoming to our presense.

We should be set for defenders between Kruor and I, thats for sure. I don't have quite as high defenses or the regen, but I can get 5-10 temp hp every turn that I hit with Booming Blade, and my mark lets me reduce damage done to any ally by the target by 9 points if I'm not also a target. Plus the warforged resolve same as Kruor.[/sblock]
 

Dekana

Villager
"Watch where you step," Eva whispers to the warforgeds in front of her. "The last tunnel I was in had this slimy, see-through ooze in it. You wouldn't want to step in one.

[sblock=ooc / roll]Group Awareness: Non-elf allies gain a +1 racial bonus to perception while within 5 squares of Eva.

Perception: 11. (1d20+8=11)[/sblock][sblock=Eva stat block]PC:Eva (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Elf Mage 3
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 11
AC:18, Fort:14, Reflex:17, Will:15 -- Speed:7
HP:32/32, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/8
Initiative +2
Action Points: 1

Conditions

Powers
Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Phantasmal Assault, Restless Dead, Magic Missile
Color Orb, Color Spray, Darkening Flame, Elven Accuracy, Second Wind, Shield, Spook
Summon Dretch

[sblock=spellbook]Encounter (2): Color Spray (3), Cordon of Bones (3), Darkening Flame (1), Ray of Enfeeblement (1)
Daily (1): Spirit Rend (1), Summon Dretch (1)
Utility (1): Shield (2), Summon Shadow Serpent (2)[/sblock]Notes: +2 damage rolls vs bloodied targets[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Rapida

Villager
Ignus clearly has the ability to be almost invisible while being tipsy in a dark tunnel, however, him constantly humming drunken sailor songs seems to be distracting his party from hearing anything coming.

Stealth; Perception (1d20+13=31, 1d20+2=3)

[sblock=ooc]
Sorry for being late, I'm in the process of moving for a new job and don't have reliable internet for a few more days. If I'm holding the game up feel free to DM-PC me for a bit. That being said, I'll try to check it at least once every couple days.
[/sblock]
 

dimsdale

Villager
ooc: [MENTION=30079]Rapida[/MENTION] no problem. thanks for letting me know

As the party moves closer, all sounds of animal communication stop. However the sounds of rapidly moving feet/paws intensifies. They are only you before you know it.

OOC:
1. I'll assume that everyone had weapons drawn. Combat works like this. I'll role initiative roll for monsters. Characters roll initiative rolls. If your roll is higher, go ahead and attack. Any character who has a lower roll gets to attack after the baddies attack.

2. My maptool is google docs spreadsheet.
Advantages: everyone has access to the map and can move their characters when a movement is done. HP will be posted on each monster. You can subtract the HP from the monster if your attack hits. I'll do a final math calculation after each time the baddies attack to make sure the math is correct.
Disadvantage: It's ugly. It's my fault I'm not good at making maps like H.M.Gimlord, R1 or Tenchuu.
Good news: Combat goes quickly :)


ooc: Map pending. Give me a day to get the map ready. in the mean time go ahead a roll initiative. Monster initiative is 19 Ouch! :)
Odds are most of you are going to be caught by surprise.
 

Advertisement

Top