D&D 5E Adventurer's League Rebuild - Draconic Devotion Swashbuckler

Looking for build advice and comments.

Paladin 6 (Devotion), Rogue (Swashbuckler) 4, Sorcerer (Draconic) 1
Human (Variant)
Abilities - Str: 13 Dex: 16 Con:19 Int: 10 Wis: 10 Cha: 20
HP: 107 Init:+8 Spd: 30.
AC 26 (Draconic Resilience, Shield+2, Black Dragon Mask, Ring of Protection)
Saves - Str: +7 Dex:+9 Con:+14 Int:+6 Wis:+6 Cha+15
Items: Rapier, Sheild+2, Amulet of Health, Ring of Protection, Black Dragon Mask
Expertise: Stealth (+11) and Performance (+13)
Spells: Booming Blade, Mage Hand, Green Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, Shield, Charm Person
Feats: Warcaster Fighting Style: Protection

Basically, this is a tank, but he has some sticky damage. Preactivate Sacred Weapon (attack +12). Gets up on someone, bonus action casts Wrathful Smite, then casts Booming Blade, resulting in 4d6+3d8+3 initial damage. Then the target either moves away (triggering the booming blade 3d8) then provoking an opp attack, which is another booming blade, which we can only assume the target will trigger (another 2d6+3d8+3.) Or the target stays base to base, and can't hit me at all (even if he does it shield brings AC to 31). Saves are so high, spells aren't really a problem. In the unfortunate event of an ally being adjacent, we can instead use protection to make the target want to swing at me. Average DPR if the enemy provokes is about 64.

Last edited:

The only way that you can take War Caster as your human feat would be if Sorc was your 1st level. Therefore, double-check your HP to make sure that's correct. Draconic Resilience doesn't work if you're using a shield, so you'll need to buy light/medium armor to use your shield for higher AC.

The only way that you can take War Caster as your human feat would be if Sorc was your 1st level. Therefore, double-check your HP to make sure that's correct. Draconic Resilience doesn't work if you're using a shield, so you'll need to buy light/medium armor to use your shield for higher AC.

Good catch on warcaster.

Draconic resiliance works with a shield. They specifically call out if shields negate a bonus (see Monk "Beginning at 1st level, while you are w earing no armorand not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Dexterity m odifier + your Wisdom modifier.)

Another possible school of thought is that you don't need the focus on Stealth as a Swashbuckler, since you can leverage combat position to get Sneak Attack. Perhaps pick a different skill for Expertise?

Another possible school of thought is that you don't need the focus on Stealth as a Swashbuckler, since you can leverage combat position to get Sneak Attack. Perhaps pick a different skill for Expertise?

Stealth isn't to get Sneak Attack. I like to work well with my party - Stealth is so we can all get surprise rounds. In my regional play group we all have exp. stealth and we have pass without trace, so we are at +20 or higher on stealth as a team.

Performance is just because the character is based on the artist formerly known as Prince.

Kithas

First Post
I like the idea, reminds me of a 3 sorc ,7 Ranger 1 Barbarian tank build that I absolutely love.

It is good to remember that to do variant human for War caster you will need to start as Sorcerer. Also you should just start as a Sorc anyways because Con saves.

Consider going 2 more levels into Sorceror at some point, or 5/3/3 by 11. Blur is an amazing spell for tanks, super high ac and giving them disadvantage basically means they will never hit you. You also get way more spell slots, and Metamagic. I'm pretty sure you can twin booming blade, you can definitely twin Lightning Lure. Also Hold person and Misty step is a thing...
One thing to keep in mind is material component spells while using sword/shield. Your shield can sub as your Divine Focus but if you want to cast anything with an arcane focus you'll need a free hand. For your cantrips, don't forget about thunderclap/sword arc(forget the actual name but the aoe one from scag), most characters like this have a lot of trouble doing aoe damage and as the tank you are the guy who gets mobbed on.
Also bear in mind that besides Dex for your ac/damage Con is the thing you need to invest most in because you are really gonna need the health.

I like the idea, reminds me of a 3 sorc ,7 Ranger 1 Barbarian tank build that I absolutely love.

It is good to remember that to do variant human for War caster you will need to start as Sorcerer. Also you should just start as a Sorc anyways because Con saves.

Consider going 2 more levels into Sorceror at some point, or 5/3/3 by 11. Blur is an amazing spell for tanks, super high ac and giving them disadvantage basically means they will never hit you. You also get way more spell slots, and Metamagic. I'm pretty sure you can twin booming blade, you can definitely twin Lightning Lure. Also Hold person and Misty step is a thing...
One thing to keep in mind is material component spells while using sword/shield. Your shield can sub as your Divine Focus but if you want to cast anything with an arcane focus you'll need a free hand. For your cantrips, don't forget about thunderclap/sword arc(forget the actual name but the aoe one from scag), most characters like this have a lot of trouble doing aoe damage and as the tank you are the guy who gets mobbed on.
Also bear in mind that besides Dex for your ac/damage Con is the thing you need to invest most in because you are really gonna need the health.

Agreed on all counts. pre-rebuild, he had more levels of sorceror - adding quicken spell and/twin spell to the mix will make the damage output sky-rocket. works well with warlock too - might consider that if the game goes past 13th level.

First Post
Agreed on all counts. pre-rebuild, he had more levels of sorceror - adding quicken spell and/twin spell to the mix will make the damage output sky-rocket. works well with warlock too - might consider that if the game goes past 13th level.

Sorcerer X and Warlock Y is a pretty good combo since you can blow your remaining slots on Sorcery Points before a short rest.

Remove ads