• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "Adventurers" Treasure Ships

Somewhere, I thought, I heard a tale of "Portuguese Treasure Ships". A captain would bring adventurers and opportunists to the New World, or wherever. Each person would have a large trunk, as would the captain. When the hold of the ship was filled with treasure or trade goods (the King's share), and the captain's chest was full the ship could return home. The adventurer's share is whatever they can fit into their own chest, and no more.

Has anyone else heard of this? Any references people could point to?

aco175

Legend
I just tried to look at some stuff, but only came across some stuff on how many shares of treasure each job received. For example, the captain received 3 shares to the quartermaster getting 2 and the mates 1 where the boys would get only 1/2.

Somewhere, I thought, I heard a tale of "Portuguese Treasure Ships". A captain would bring adventurers and opportunists to the New World, or wherever. Each person would have a large trunk, as would the captain. When the hold of the ship was filled with treasure or trade goods (the King's share), and the captain's chest was full the ship could return home. The adventurer's share is whatever they can fit into their own chest, and no more.

Has anyone else heard of this? Any references people could point to?
It's a rather British occupation. It saves actually having to pay your sailors.

You could read the Hornblower books, but here is a wiki reference: Prize (law) - Wikipedia

Remove ads