D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

Alot of us questioned if Planeswalkers would even be in the set as MtG Planeswalker lore didn't fit how Planar Travel works in D&D (which causes weirdness in the Theros and Ravnica D&D hardcover books, but that is a separate issue).

Well I read the discription for the collector boosters and there is a 4% chance of a foil Planeswalker card in it.

"Every Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Collector Booster contains 15 Magic: The Gathering cards and 1 traditional foil double-sided token, with a combination of 5 Rares and/or Mythic Rares, 2–5 Uncommons, 4–7 Commons, and 1 Land card. Foil Mythic Borderless Planeswalker in 4% of boosters"

Amazon.com: Magic: The Gathering Adventures in The Forgotten Realms Collector Booster | 15 Magic Cards: Toys & Games

"15 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms (AFR) Magic: The Gathering cards + 1 foil token Shortcut to the coolest cards in Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Loaded with rares, foils, special treatments, and more. 5 Rare or Mythic Rare cards per pack. Beloved Dungeons & Dragons heroes and monsters have ventured into Magic for the ultimate crossover!"

So the set does have Planeswalkers, thoughts?

From the Bundle Description another confirmation of Planeswalkers.

"The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Bundle contains 10 Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Draft Boosters, with 40 basic lands (20 traditional foils and 20 nonfoils), 1 traditional foil alt-art promo card, 1 oversized d20, 1 card storage box, and 2 reference cards. Each Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Draft Booster contains 15 Magic cards and a token or ad card, with 1 Rare or Mythic Rare, 3 Uncommons, 10 Common cards, and 1 Land card. A traditional foil card of any rarity replaces a Common in 33% of Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Draft Boosters. Traditional foil Mythic Borderless Planeswalker in less than 1% of boosters."

In case your wondering traditional foils is a reference to the none etched foils.

Also according to Nerd Immersion amazon is offering a Bundle that includes an AFR Commander Deck and a Gift Core Set of D&D books + DM Screen (which I already have (the books + DM Screen that is).

Huh. I wonder if they will take D&D characters who have planeshift (Elminster for example) or whether they will use Magic the Gathering characters who are visiting the Forgotten Realms. I suspect the former, as having Chandra traipsing around Waterdeep seems certain to drive people crazy, but who knows?

Given that this set isn't MtG canon (for now), your not going to have the Gatewatch or other Planeswalkers running around on Toril. Mordenkainen, Tasha, Elminister, Acerak, Fizban make more sense as Planeswalkers.

Also I'm surprised they are giving out the odds of Mythic Rare Foil Planeswalkers (1% for Set Boosters, 4% for Collector Boosters). Looking at other Collector Boosters for Core 2021, Strixhaven, and Kaldheim discriptions the odds of pulling foil borderless mythic rare planeswalkers is not given which suggests there is something special about the Planeswalkers in the set that makes them extra enticing for buyers. What that is, is a mystery for now. Also interesting that they point out the Mythic Rareness, suggesting perhaps Planeswalkers of lower rarity for contrast.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Given that this set isn't MtG canon (for now), your not going to have the Gatewatch or other Planeswalkers running around on Toril. Mordenkainen, Tasha, Elminister, Acerak, Fizban make more sense as Planeswalkers.
Yeah, they definitely aren’t going to have any MtG characters in this set. Since they’re not considering it Universes Beyond I assume they want to leave the possibility of future canon crossover open, but at least for this one it’s going to be non-canon.
Also I'm surprised they are giving out the odds of Mythic Rare Foil Planeswalkers (1% for Set Boosters, 4% for Collector Boosters). Looking at other Collector Boosters for Core 2021, Strixhaven, and Kaldheim discriptions the odds of pulling foil borderless mythic rare planeswalkers is not given which suggests there is something special about the Planeswalkers in the set that makes them extra enticing for buyers. What that is, is a mystery for now. Also interesting that they point out the Mythic Rareness, suggesting perhaps Planeswalkers of lower rarity for contrast.
Yeah, that’s... Unorthodox... I wonder if that’s going to be a regular thing going forward.

Now the question is, who do we expect to see in the set as a planeswalker? Mordenkainen and Elminster seem like obvious picks.

Yeah, they definitely aren’t going to have any MtG characters in this set. Since they’re not considering it Universes Beyond I assume they want to leave the possibility of future canon crossover open, but at least for this one it’s going to be non-canon.

Yeah, that’s... Unorthodox... I wonder if that’s going to be a regular thing going forward.

Now the question is, who do we expect to see in the set as a planeswalker? Mordenkainen and Elminster seem like obvious picks.

Nezram

Nezram's big thing is Planeswalking, and its only rescently he even returned to Toril, to help rebuild Mulhorand and liberate it from the Imaskari.

Tasha is a possiblity.

Drizzt is odd, but possible even recent events.

Fizban. Its not an accident that he was in a UA that otherwise was FR lore.

Vee from Eberron

I don't think Think there will be any Planeswalkers aside from Vee who aren't from either Toril, Oerth, or Krynn.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Very nice catch!

Blake Rasmussen got squirrelly when asked of any MtG characters would show up. Even though they confirmed no story, they could have a Planeswalker slip through. I do assume this is primarily going to be major D&D figures, however. The names mentioned here by folks seem likely, but I'll throw this one out there: Vi, the Gnome Artificer from Eberron who was almost on the cover for Eberron, was called a Planeswalker in Rising from Last War, where it was also established that she is based on Sigil. She has canonically appeared in both the Forgotten Realms and Ravnica in Acquisitions Incorporated as an NPC, and was first introduced around the time they were making this card set.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Possibly Vecna as a Black (mana) Planeswalker. Mordenkainen would probably be in Blue, Elminster in White or White/Red.
Vecna screams blue/black to me. Secret, forbidden knowledge is like Dimir’s entire Thing. Mordenkainen I would expect to have an enemy color combination - probably UR or BW. Elminster, yeah, white, with maybe red and/or blue.

Remove ads