Adventures with great bases for characters

Glyfair

Explorer
In a few other threads there are discussions about what makes a great adventure. One thing that was made clear to me is that part of the appeal of the classic Keep on the Borderlands and Village of Hommlet is the fact that they have strong bases for the characters.

What other adventures have strong bases for the characters. They need to have a reasonable amount of detail, but probably not exhaustive detail.

One I would add is not a D&D adventure. Apple Lane for Runequest has a strong location that can work as a base for the characters. Lots of detail in some areas (especially Gringle's Pawnshop, the center of the first adventure), and rough sketches for others.

What others out there really work?

pogre

Legend
We got a lot of mileage out of Necromancer Games' The Lost City of Barakus . Mostly because it was a site-based adventure with lots of places to explore and open plot lines.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Depends what you want in a home base. I'm a fan of Necro's Crucible of Freya. If you can find a copy of that, then get the free web enhancement, you're laughing. Its a small farming village, but the region pretty well detailed.

Also, just so we don't overlook the obvious, Winterhaven from Keep on the Shadowfell will do the trick, as will the new Hammerfast kit...although that one is not an adventure per-se.

And if you want to have them in a big ciry, the City-State of the Invincible Overlord is very well detailed. Its for the Wilderlands and assumes a sort of Mos-Eisley-cantina cross section of races, but its still cool, and you can scrap the stuff you don't care for. (And its very plunk-able into just about any setting.)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Depends what you want in a home base. I'm a fan of Necro's Crucible of Freya. If you can find a copy of that, then get the free web enhancement, you're laughing. Its a small farming village, but the region pretty well detailed.

Also, just so we don't overlook the obvious, Winterhaven from Keep on the Shadowfell will do the trick, as will the new Hammerfast kit...although that one is not an adventure per-se.

And if you want to have them in a big ciry, the City-State of the Invincible Overlord is very well detailed. Its for the Wilderlands and assumes a sort of Mos-Eisley-cantina cross section of races, but its still cool, and you can scrap the stuff you don't care for. (And its very plunk-able into just about any setting.)

+1 to all this. Crucible of Freya contains a cool base-area for lower-level games and is a great adventure to boot. City-State of the Invincible Overlord is a fantastically detailed large city. For a smaller city (and one with a more standard cross-section of races), check out Bard's Gate. It's smaller than the CSIO, but very well detailed with heaps of adventure hooks and plotlines, along with a whole host of free web-enhancements to accompany it. I'm using Bard's Gate at the moment with the numbers filed off an transplanted into my homebrew with no issues at all.

Remove ads