D&D General Adventuring gear "in real life" - the Highlands

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I found this on youtube, and it's basically a re-creation of of what a traveler in the Scottish highlands would use for a 3 day trek through the fairly desolate terrain. Very inspiring stuff, esp if you play rangers. This isn't some cosplaying endeavor - the gear has been tested in real world hikes.

Enjoy!

(and no that's not me haha)

I've subscribed to that channel for a while. As a modern-day hiker, I find the videos of "lower tech" practitioners really interesting.

As a fantasy RPG player, it intrigues me how important gear really is. If the characters with only five things written on their character sheets actually tried to survive, they'd die of exposure or hunger.

It also points out how staggeringly useful leomund's tiny hut actually is. :)

aco175

Legend
My players like when I give out magic related to comfort. There are things like instant tents, sort of like a poor man's hut, and blankets that keep you warm. Not as popular as the everfull beer mug though.

Mercurius

Legend
I haven't watched it yet, but am thinking three knives is excessive and more for personal fun. A very important factor for treks is limiting weight as much as possible, and knives are heavy. A lot of trekkers get by with tiny little Kershaws and such.

Gilladian

Adventurer
The magic items my players remember and refer back to the most often are their magic caravan wagon, the platter and mug of endless rations, and a scroll that when unrolled and pinned to a wall formed the entrance into a lovely bunkhouse room/portable hole. They keep asking in the current campaign what I'm going to give them that's similar. Hah!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've subscribed to that channel for a while. As a modern-day hiker, I find the videos of "lower tech" practitioners really interesting.

As a fantasy RPG player, it intrigues me how important gear really is. If the characters with only five things written on their character sheets actually tried to survive, they'd die of exposure or hunger.

It also points out how staggeringly useful leomund's tiny hut actually is. :)

Or Mending? Or prestidigitation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases