• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Advice (and Help) Needed for a High Level 5E One Shot

Tharian

First Post
Hey folks,

It seems I've gotten myself involved in yet another one shot with friends. This will be as high level as it gets as everyone will be making 20th level characters (likely 5 players but could be 4 or 6). On top of that, I'll be trying to adapt portions from the 2nd Ed box set The Rod of Seven Parts (but they don't know that just yet).

So here's my conundrum: I've not yet run anything for characters that high in this system. I've also just decided tonight that we'll be using Rod of Seven Parts (which means I still have to adapt things for them) so I've got a clock ticking loudly as well.

What sorts of pit falls should I be aware of and what sorts of things could get in the way of a successful execution of this plan?

As I look at determining overall length of what to run, I'm looking at about 2 nights of play (maybe even into a 3rd, but not sure yet) so I'm scoping for about 12+ hours worth of play. I know that rules out running the entire adventure, but I'm hoping to adapt things from Book II (likely only the parts around pieces 6 and 7, but if there might be enough time, I'll find a way to include the search for pieces 4 and 5).

I know I'll have to adapt some monsters to 5E rules, with particular focus on the monsters included in the box set.
I'll also have to make sure I get some time in re-reading the books to get familiar with the story.
I'll also have to update the artifact itself to 5E rules (any idea if it'll be included in the DMG?).

What else might I be missing?

Thanks.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I never ran that adventure nor have I ran high level 5e game but here are some suggestions based on my experience so far:

1. Use tons of low level monsters against your PCs, let your room cleaners shine.
2. Make the adventure about the players having to make tough choices instead of simply dungeon crawling, that's a general high level play, I have no idea what your group play style is.
3. Get your players to make the characters before hand and send them to you so you will know what to expect.
4. Give each character extra bonds and flaws, to simulate the fact that the characters have been adventuring in the past.
5. Use dragons, lots of dragons, cause dragons are cool :)

Warder

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It's time-consuming to make that many 20th lvl characters. I recommend the players make them, in part because then the players will understand their capabilities. Learning curve is really the biggest challenge at that level.

You'll want to provide a variety of challenges, types of fights, and frequency of fights. Use waves of enemies, so that you can challenge without overwhelming the PCs. Oh, and don't fall in love with your bad guys. :)

aramis erak

Legend
At 15th lvl, my PCs can crank out 100 pts of damage in a given player's turn. It's glorious, and impressive.

Hey! I had a level 3 PC deal out several thousand in one action... (Shatter, on a room-filled swarm of bats... and 10 stirges...)
Gotta love area effect against swarms of tiny critters. Shatter and Dissonant Whisper are both wonderfully effective, low level area effect spells. Dissonant Whispers was used last session by a 3rd level caster to do 225(=18x11 +3x9 HP) in one action...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's not what I mean! Damage output isn't multiplied by the targets. Not that you shouldn't cheer such an occasion, because FUN.

Tharian

First Post
Oh, good. I wasn't sure there'd be some activity on my post when I got home from Encounters so this was a pleasant surprise. One quick note that I didn't mention in my first post (but should have) is that this isn't the first high level one shot I've run for this particular group of friends. This will just be the first I've done for this edition. Previous one shots have featured dragons as the main final encounter (our first was against a black that wiped out the party and others have been against a white and a red) but I wanted to run portions of this box set for one of the players who lists this adventure (or maybe just the artifact driving the adventure) as his favorite that he's never played.

Re: Kobold Guide to Combat. Sounds good. I actually hadn't heard of this so thanks for that pointer. I'll have a look at the description and see what I want to do there (print, PDF, or both).

Re: Lots of lower level baddies. Thanks for the reminder. I definitely will have to keep that in mind and not go crazy with beefing up all the monsters to uber levels. I definitely want to keep Miska as a very high level (I'm thinking in the 23 or 24 level range, but am not certain). I may go similar with a couple of the other named monsters. Thankfully, the pit fiend is already at CR 20. Oh, and I'll want to come up with some good Lair actions as well.

I'm definitely letting the players create characters if they so choose. Once I mentioned it was going to be 20th level, there seemed to be a lot of perking up at the idea. I suspect once I tell them this will be the scenario, there will be that much more interest. I'll probably tell them this weekend (though my wife already knows) but I wanted to get some initial groundwork set first.

I'll also have to take a look at how much potential damage they 'll be able to dish out so that I don't have combats end up being too short.

Thanks for the help so far. Time to hit the books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads