Advice on Being a Good Player

Obryn

Hero
I would really love to see something about spotlight-hogging.

Also, how while having your Kender steal other PCs' stuff may seem funny in a book or in your head, it really sucks in a game.

Heck, both of those fall under the general heading "Roleplaying your character is good, right up until it diminishes the group's overall fun."

-O

Ganders

Explorer
I would add: Be active. Have goals and pursue them.

Players are not just an audience, it's not like watching TV. You shouldn't just sit and wait for the DM to tell you what happens. You have to participate, with a certain amount of energy and enthusiasm. Seek out those adventures, treasures, and xp, don't just stand around waiting for the DM to throw them at you.

If you go to the local bar and stand around like a wallflower, the DM might just say "ok, you finish your drink, now what?". And then sit around for five minutes boring you to death with silence. For all you know, the DM may have a whole tribe of orcs just waiting to ambush the first humans to leave town, and your laziness (just hanging out in the bar) is wasting time. Yes, it's *sometimes* up to the DM to get things rolling, but the players still need to push the action and 'do stuff' themselves at least half the time.

sjmiller

Explorer
It may seem like it shouldn't be mentioned, but this one is important. Before you go to a game, please, for the love of all you find holy, take a shower and put on clean clothes. Not your cleanest dirty clothes, but clothes that have seen the inside of a washer and dryer since they were last worn. I've only had to deal with this once in a gaming group, but it is something I constantly encounter at conventions. I know this probably falls under the "be polite" section, but it needs saying.

Mallus

Legend
"Roleplaying your character is good, right up until it diminishes the group's overall fun."
This is a good one. But the converse is also good advice; when your buddy is on a roll, let him have the spotlight. The best thing a gaming group can do is indulge each other from time to time.

Sidereal Knight

First Post
I would add:

Every gaming group has slow nights, but if you aren’t having fun overall, talk to the DM and/or the rest of your group about it. Be upfront and constructive, and talk about your own feelings rather than just pointing out flaws in the game or DM.

If the game just isn’t working for you, be honest about it and bow out as gracefully as possible.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Good point. I didn’t include this in this article because I wanted to try to stay away from actually playing your character and simply give an overall idea of how to contribute to everyone’s enjoyment. I may write a follow-up article in the future with tips on being a good player as it relates to running your character. :)

My thing about being ready on your turn was meant in a 'be kind to your fellow players' kind of way. Nothing kills the momentum more than having a fight drag on forever and players can easily help or hinder the speed of a combat.

If the pace of the fight is faster fewer people will lose interest/be distracted and hopefully everyone will have more fun.

It's already going to be a few minutes between one turn and the next. There is absolutely no reason why the number of minutes in between your turns has to hit double digits. Being ready on your turn is a (relatively) easy way to keep things moving and is something that is (mostly) under the player's control.

buzz

Adventurer
I'd suggest that instead of (or in addition to) "Have Fun," you should advise players to help everyone have fun. Fun isn't a one-way street where the DM performs for the entertainment of passive players. Not in groups that I enjoy, at least. Great games happen when everyone is helping each other to bring the awesome.

Honestly, I've seen the most polite, well-prepared, attentive players totally suck the life out of a game by focusing on no one but themselves. RPGs are about collaboration; games die when people forget that.

Remove ads