D&D General Advise for A Mates Harry Potter/Dnd Hybrid RPG in which Albus and Scorpius persuaded Delphini not to change history so that Voldemort wins

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I’m starting to suspect JMISBEST is an AI someone is trying to train to run RPGs by running it through increasingly improbable hypothetical gameplay scenarios and asking human GMs how they would resolve those scenarios.

Then definitely count me in on the subscription streaming service.

Sorry, I can’t help myself: it is spelled “advice” not “advise” in the context you have presented.

I am also sorry that I have no advice for your DM, nor can I advise you on how to help them. ;)

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I don't want to derail further, but do you have a source for that?

Wiktionary and my trusty physical copy of the Oxford English Dictionary indicate that advise is only ever a verb in both UK and US English.

Cheers :)
I misread this and got more confused

Omand

Hero
I misread this and got more confused

No problem. We all mess up from time to time. I even do it in thread comments about spelling and grammar with my own spelling and grammar (see Post #24 which I did correct, but which was silly before I did).

Cheers :)

I asked him that myself and he said that he forgot to ask me to ask how you think he should have the rest of the campaign pan out?, after all he wasn't planning on his 2 players managing to convince the campaigns main villain to switch sides and join the good guys
See, that’s an easy question and should have been the question to lead with.

Now what?

First, the party + Delphini have a plan, now they need to implement it. I can think of any amount of challenges to trying to implement a plan that causes major changes to the past.

Now villains. You no longer have a big bad, so you will have to replace her. How about time elementals, beings responsible for maintaining the time stream who attack the heroes during the mission and afterwards.

Of course, depending how evil/cynical the DM is, the players’ good intentions could result in a bad future. It is a common time travel trope for a reason.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Have them roll a bunch of d6's and say "Gosh, the table in my head says this happens when I roll a 5, 4, red, and pocket lint", then do whatever they wanted to do anyways.

Rolling on tables isn't "bad luck", it's deciding to abdicate authority or narrative consistency in service of a chart they themselves designed! The time spent designing entries on "the king's 3rdteenth smelliest nephew orders eggplant parmesan, how much does he like it?" table doesn't make the game more realistic. It's self indulgent, which is fine, but what's the point of the faffery if you aren't going to see it through?
"tables gaming" can be a lot of fun, but the GHM has to be ready to "roll with the punches", so to speak. It's not invalid. However, as others have said, the table shouldn't be used if some of the results are troublesome for the GM.

As far as narrative consistency... life is chaotic and messy, and so are many D&D games. People make mistakes and/or are inconsistent, freak events occur, things break just at the worst (or sometimes best) time etc etc.

To me the main problems are not rolls the DM can't handle, but rather the entire scenario - time travel, harry potter... it's a mess. Although, now that I think about it, a story where the main villain is "defeated" by changing the course of their life via time travel might be interesting, if we ignore the serious paradoxes this could result in...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases