• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

I love the new Mostin pic! Love it!!

Hey Sep, you're not going to make us wait 6 months this time, are you? ;)

I'm very grateful that you keep updating this thread. Take as much time as you need.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Bloodcookie said:
Very much liking the new Mostin pic, even if he is wearing one of his more modest chapeaux :p
It looks rather like a hat that Indiana Jones might wear, doesn't it? Who knows how it ended up in the Far Realm - or what happened to Mostin's old hat.

Lela

First Post
There's a Pseudonatural Indiana Jones out there looking for our good wizard. My suggestion? Don't act all scary with your whiplike tentacle thing. Just blast 'im.

Yavathol

Explorer
Early story question

I'm in the middle of re-reading the whole story, again ;)

A thought did cross my mind, however...
at the point where Mostin, eager to try his Greater Planar Binding spell, no doubt :p encourages the group to summon Rurunoth, why were the party allowed the luxury of time and control over the manner! Mostin even wanders off to gather spells, leaving the others holding the baby. But my GM, I'm sure would never let me get away with this! Rurunoth does not exist in isolation - Grazzt will immediately notice his absence, and knows who Eadric is and his part in Nahael's atonement. The characters haven't bothered with Mind Blanks, or even Nondetections, maybe they decided it wasn't worth it. Point is, wouldn't Grazzt have ordered a rescue attempt? Maybe he doesn't care enough about his leftenants? Maybe he was distracted by arranging for Ainhorr to meet the solars. Very fortunate timing for the party, if so. I get the impression Rurunoth is an important pawn in Grazzt's schemes, so I don't get why he was abandoned?

What are the rules, if any, on extra-planar demons using their own spells to teleport to the Material plane? Are they only allowed to do so when summoned by a mortal? If demons can't be used, wouldn't mortal followers like Rimilin be called in, all they have to do is break the circle and then teleport away? :confused:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I like both pictures of Mostin, but for different reasons.

In the original, he's very wide-eyed. He looks more than slightly unhinged. Plus his hat is absurd.

In the most recent version, he's got a very determined, no-nonsense look on his face, which is an important part of his personality IMO. The tentacle is a great detail. Also Mogus looks suitably strange.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
What are the rules, if any, on extra-planar demons using their own spells to teleport to the Material plane? Are they only allowed to do so when summoned by a mortal? If demons can't be used, wouldn't mortal followers like Rimilin be called in, all they have to do is break the circle and then teleport away?

My understanding is that in this cosmology, it requires a nontrivial expenditure of personal power (aka XP) for an extraplanar creature to breech into the prime material. This power expediture is (I think) correlated to the power of the being, so it is easier for Grazzt to send a minor demon over than to move a balor.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
GoodKingJayIII said:
As a potential commission request, how about Tahl? I don't know about anyone else, but I've always liked him.

The main sticking point is that I need a description of a character to send to an artist. Has Tahl ever been described, except as "the Incorruptible"?

The Axe

First Post
Yavathol said:
I'm in the middle of re-reading the whole story, again ;)

A thought did cross my mind, however...
at the point where Mostin, eager to try his Greater Planar Binding spell, no doubt :p encourages the group to summon Rurunoth, why were the party allowed the luxury of time and control over the manner! Mostin even wanders off to gather spells, leaving the others holding the baby. But my GM, I'm sure would never let me get away with this! Rurunoth does not exist in isolation - Grazzt will immediately notice his absence, and knows who Eadric is and his part in Nahael's atonement. The characters haven't bothered with Mind Blanks, or even Nondetections, maybe they decided it wasn't worth it. Point is, wouldn't Grazzt have ordered a rescue attempt? Maybe he doesn't care enough about his leftenants? Maybe he was distracted by arranging for Ainhorr to meet the solars. Very fortunate timing for the party, if so. I get the impression Rurunoth is an important pawn in Grazzt's schemes, so I don't get why he was abandoned?
While I'm certainly not an expert here, I think Graz'zt has several Balor servants, in addition to *lots* of others. I doubt he keeps track of all of them all the time. Ruru was sent on an extended mission to the Ethereal to observe the goings on in Trempa; he's pretty powerful (relative to most other creatures), so it stands to reason that he goes on frequent extended missions. If he was snatched while he was away from Aggrazat (sp?), Graz'zt may not know about it for quite some time; especially considering the number of irons a demon lord probably has in the fire. Too, Graz'zt has *lots* of enemies---among which are other demon lords; perhaps he was running down the list and the party was pretty low on the threat radar.

Yavathol said:
What are the rules, if any, on extra-planar demons using their own spells to teleport to the Material plane? Are they only allowed to do so when summoned by a mortal? If demons can't be used, wouldn't mortal followers like Rimilin be called in, all they have to do is break the circle and then teleport away? :confused:
Demons can be transported directly to the Material Plane by a demon lord, but doing so requires a significant investment in energy by the demon lord (IIRC, the stats on the game mechanics involved are in the Rogue's Gallery thread). I don't know if Sep has ruled that demons don't have the ability to go to the Material Plane or if the demons are just afraid that celestials will find out and come smack them around.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads