Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

Nightbreeze

First Post
It's been a while (two years, in fact) since I last did a complete re-read of the entire story.

So, is there any kind soul willing to remind me what was the role of the Clavinger and other wide-area travel denials (like the Green no-plane trepassing effect) in the war?

Meaning, I remember that the Clavinger did something to majorly piss off the Chesnite, but I don't remember precisely what (aside for, of course, denying them the ability to cast arcane spells for political reasons within the area).

Also, why is it exactly that the Wyre army moved out of Wyre to meet chesnite forces halfway? And in general, Clavinger aside, why don't the Chesnites employ more "terrorist" fighting? I mean, they have plenty of divine casters, why don't they teleport their asses on the civilian populace of Wyre?

Also, does the Green "no plane trepassing" inhibit teleports? After all, teleports rely on instantaneus travel trought the astral plane (IIRC).

Reason I am asking - in my campaign there are 3 major forces which are heading towards war, and I am weighting ways to channel the fight to field battles, rather than a messy spread out of guerrilla/teleporting fights all over an entire continent. So I'd like to know how Seb's campaign (an inspiration for 5 years, now) has been shaped the way it did.

Siuis

Explorer
The Claviger extended the ban on Calling magics to include theistic use as well; before that move, a wizard could not bind a lantern archon, but a cleric could try and Gate Asmodeus himself with no rebuke (well, from the Claviger).

Just assaulting Wyre would do little (as far as teleporting in and such). They don seem to be upset at Wyre, so much as Existence, The church of Oronthon, and the Monarchy o Wyre. In that order. I may be wrong though.
It's also entirely possible they didnt want to stir anger from anyone else, as there are bound to be third parties. Attacking a localized religion is entirely different than magic murder against an entire populous.

Eadric and the rest moved to engage, presumably, to deny them as much collateral damage as possible. See number 2.

Nightbreeze

First Post
Yes - I can see the point about them being mostly interested in crushing the rising church of Oronothor. And besides, once you have crushed the Ahma/Sela and whoever is supporting him militarily, destrying the rest of the faithful should be a child's task anyway. From this point of view, Eadric getting the fight "outside" makes perfect sense.

But are there any third powers on the continent/world? I was under the impression that the continent has 3 major areas - Wyre, Shuth and Nizkur, and that there's no other strong party. Of course, now we have the Adversary Reincarnated, and the immortals are very wary of angering him, but I don't see why he would could object to them slaughtering civilians - mainly because I don't seem him interested enough to care.

So, while I understand why Chesne's forces' goal is not to slaughter civilian population, it could nevertheless be a worthwile tactical gambit. Their summoned creatures cannot touch wyre's soil, without the Enforcer going after the asses of the summoners, but they could still send their all of their freaky amounts of undead and scatter them around. This would force Eadric to either stretch his forces to try and protect the civilians, or go with the ruthless route and try to make a push for hunting down the immortals as fast as possible and then going after the undead. The chesnite have no main base to protect - or rather, they do, but Kaalanaala can take care of her temple pretty well.

Just to make this clear - I am not criticising at all. I am pretty sure that it would make perfect sense if we were privy of all the info that Seb and his players have. But, that unfortunately not being possible, I am just discussing it (with the added benefit of a bump ;) )

catastrophic

First Post
They've "changed them", they have not converted them. Religious conversion is a whole 'nother animal. Requires free-will to worship, etc.
Who says? That could be exactly the kind of oronthonian nonsense that the cheshenites reject. I'm not evne sure oronthon's guys are into the whole 'give yourself to your god' thing anymore.

Certainly the old church seemed to be based on a judeochristian modelto some degree, but the new one seems to deal with revelation in a rather different manner.

Is it really legitimate to argue that the cheshenites stand by such a notion? For all we know they're a bunch of posthumans who laugh at the idea of free will.

Remove ads