Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

TheBrassDuke

Explorer
I've been lurking so many years here, It's hard to believe.
Sep's campaign left an enormous imprint on my own rpg life. It was like finally finding the place you belong. Blissful experience, really. The setting. The heroes. The antagonists. The marvellous epic rules. The writing, much better than in any published book I have read in a very, very long time. Never, perhaps.

And then it was suddenly taken away.
But I still have hope, that Sepulchrave will one day return to us. Or at least reveal, why he abandoned us. Though I would definitely prefer a return in all his eloquent glory.

There are still so many wonders, he never shared with us...
What is strange, however…

Sep still comes online, and so do a few of his players from that game; some of them commented here from time to time, iirc. They haven’t said a peep either. At all.

Justin

Explorer
What is strange, however…

Sep still comes online, and so do a few of his players from that game; some of them commented here from time to time, iirc. They haven’t said a peep either. At all.
I hope we all respect whatever his wishes are regarding the story and don't pester him. If he wanted to respond here, he would, so he obviously has his reasons. Sep (I'm sorry, I forget your real name), if you're reading this, thank you for everything!

That aside, I would literally figuratively kill for some fantasy books that came anywhere close to the beauty, depth, and quality of the Tales of Wyre. I've tried to get into Malazan, but twice made it to only about a third into the second book, Deadhouse Gates. Anyone have any recommendations?

grodog

Hero
That aside, I would literally figuratively kill for some fantasy books that came anywhere close to the beauty, depth, and quality of the Tales of Wyre. I've tried to get into Malazan, but twice made it to only about a third into the second book, Deadhouse Gates. Anyone have any recommendations?

If you like the depth of Wyre and it's AD&D/1st edition vibes (despite being grounded in 3.x mechanics so well/strongly, I still think of Wyre as an AD&D/1e game in theme/tone), you may want to check out Anthony Huso's fiction, which grew out of his 1e campaign setting. He published two novels via TOR, as well as several adventure 1e modules (some of which feature in passing in the novels):

Allan.

grodog

Hero
Did you end up doing it? :p

Yes and no =)

I haven't written up the Web of Motes yet, but I did include a reference to it in a long sestina-form prophecy for my 1e/Greyhawk campaign players, who are in the process of recovering it from Anthony Huso's Zjelwyin Fall adventure set in the Astral Plane.

The stanza with my Web of Motes reference is:

A web of motes illumines ley lines, planes, and gates,
divines clear paths of quiet through the silences, whispers’
susurrations, and branching forks—all ways to woe.
To fight the future, decrypt its resounding secrets,
speak their wisdoms to the chiaroscuro shadows,
unveil the prince of raptors, find allies in umbrage.

All of this is part-and-parcel for a long article I've been writing on divination in AD&D, which will likely appear in the Oerth Journal in a month or so.

Allan.

Justin

Explorer
If you like the depth of Wyre and it's AD&D/1st edition vibes (despite being grounded in 3.x mechanics so well/strongly, I still think of Wyre as an AD&D/1e game in theme/tone), you may want to check out Anthony Huso's fiction, which grew out of his 1e campaign setting. He published two novels via TOR, as well as several adventure 1e modules (some of which feature in passing in the novels):

Allan.
Thanks, Allan, I really appreciate the feedback and references. I've also gone back and started re-reading Blackdirge's Metamorphosis. :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Hmmm, I lost those:( and lazybones' too when I changed laptops unexpextedlY (HD broke down)

Searchin....thanks for the reminder

TheBrassDuke

Explorer
How would you approach explaining ToW’s use of Dweomer, Valence/Transvalent, etc. to someone who doesn’t understand Vancian Magic, and is essentially new to the game but wants an explanation? I’ve combed through Eadric et al, and here—I have found some examples, but nothing to really explain it. Especially in-character.

Dweomer is a word from Norse mythology. It was dwarf magic. In D&D it’s a cool sounding word for a magical aura.

The valences are an analogy to valences in chemistry. The ability of an element to combine with others. The way Sep uses it is more like atomic orbitals, where each orbital can hold a certain amount of atoms. Hence the analogy to spell levels: each spell has a discrete level and can exist in that orbital. This explains why you can’t just cast infinite spells, because you can only hold them in your “valences” much like an element can only combine with so many hydrogen atoms.

Transvalent is beyond valent, beyond level 9, that is epic level spells.

Remove ads