After Dinner Encounters

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Marvelously kind words, WSmith. Thank you.

Yes, the 20-30 minutes that these encounters take is a pretty special time. It's just me and Zach, one set of dice, a little round coffee table, a broken chair and the corner of the bed.

Whatever he decides, goes. I don't discourage him from his decisions just because they come from an 8 year old mind. I just take what he says and put it into game terms. If he wants to use a shuriken against a kuo toa, because that's what the cool guy on Dragon BallZ does... then I'll do my best to make it entertaining for him. I'm looking forward to the next session.... hopefully tomorrow.

WSmith

First Post
I will look forward to it. You got it right though. Let his mind go and just put it into game terms. Plus you are doing a great service to him by keeping a log of these. I wish I had a log of all my first adventures as a young one. :D

My daughter likes the combo of LOTR, Harry Potter, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The would be an interesting combination. :)

I was wondering where the shruken-throwing character concept idea came from. I never even thought about DBZ. :)

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Argh! Didn't get to play tonight. Slight problem with not doing chores and not brushing teeth = early bed time. We did sit down and level-up Whitefire, however. He was very thrifty in his expenditure of skill points, to be sure. When we finally sit down to go through this encounter, we'll see if his choices paid off.

On another note!!!! I MUST show off my wife's handiwork. I helped her a bit, getting her started with the coloring... but all the artwork and detail is hers. I just think this is the coolest....

Attachments

• dm cthulu web.jpg
    dm cthulu web.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 154

Hey cthuluftaghn, are you doing any more of these, or has Zachary lost interest?

Great idea by the way (only just got round to reading this Story Hour today), it really puts us cynics to shame. Made me laugh out loud when Whitefire just hurled that shuriken at the Kuo-Toa... one moment he was "hello, be my friend" then whizz, snik. Chaotic Neutral wannabe! (I suppose thats what kids are anyway)

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Hasn't really lost interest... just a "scheduling conflict". I work a relatively late shift, so we don't have much of a chance to get together during the week. Then, of course, on the weekends... he's either got friends sleeping over, or is at someone else's house. Healthy, normal 8 year old (eek.... 9 in one more week!). These will continue... eventually.

Remove ads