• This is the Greatest Story Hour Ever!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Very Good! It is Among My "Top 5"!

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • It is Entertaining! I Recommend it!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Nice Try, But Not My Cup of Tea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Sucks! Stop This Drivel Immediately!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Old One

First Post
Priceless...

Rel said:
Kudos to you, Old One. I think your solution was great. We GM's all make mistakes but it takes special talent to "make lemonade" from them.

I'm looking forward to how Rose roleplays his "out of body experience".

And after your comments about him being "mostly dead", I can't get the picture out of my head of your players acting out scenes from The Princess Bride.

Rowan - "Lew, he's dead."

Lew - "Oh, look who's so smart. Our friend is only 'mostly dead', which means a little bit alive."

Sextus - "Please, Lew, we're in a terrible rush."

Lew - "Don't rush a miracle worker or you get crummy miracles."

Rel -

Thanks for the comments (and LOL at the Princess Bride dialogue)! I think that everyone was pleased with the solution and it offers some great additional plot development...so it's all good:D!

~ Old One

Old One

First Post
No Happy Afterlife for You!

WSmith said:
Old One, I have finally caught up after a long absence here. Fantasic! This is truely an epic tale.

Maybe now we can get to some nautical adventures. Or, maybe the Isle spoken of is actually a cloud island in the sky. Nah! That would not fit into FG too well I guess. However, I would have never guessed Rose returning from Deathsgate, either.

The whole Deathsgate, with the rolling fields reminded me of the best part of the entire movie, "Gladiator" when near his final battle, General Maxi-dude rejoined he family in Elyssium and lived happy ever after. WAIT! Rose could have lived happily ever after too with his lost love. He got screwed! You truely are a RBDM to keep a man from eternal happiness! :D

WSmith -

You don't actually think that I would let a PC have a happy afterlife do you:eek:?

Thanks for stoppin' by...I figured you must be busy (speakin' of busy, your heading back our way pretty soon, aren't you?). I am sure the PCs will be racking their brains to figure out what the prophecy actually means. There are clues scattered throughout several PC back stories (hear that, guys?), but we all know how unreliable prophecies can be!

~ Old One

Old One

First Post
In Reverse Order...

Quickbeam said:
Old One:
Just a single quick question, followed by and equally brief comment.
-- What is/who are the RBDM Club, and can I join?
-- Excellent solution to a very large snaffu!!

QB -

How's Griffin doing (and how are your sleep patterns)? Thanks for the support on the DM SNAFU resolution.

The RBDM Club was formed some months back by Nemmerle and Lordnightshade as a place for dastardly DMs to bounce ideas off each other, pose dilemmas, exchange NPCs and magic items and design other evils to torment the poor players.

The initial band was formed by invites sent out by Nemmerle and LNS, with the requirements being:

(1) Sworn to absolute secrecy - Many SH secrets are revealed on the message board and can't be repeated for obvious reasons

(2) No Members may join if the play in a campaign of another member

(3) Don't be a Jerk - The idea is creative exchange, not flame

The brain trust includes such notables as Pkitty, cntxt, Plane Sailing and angramainyu. A number of RBDM members have come and gone (inactivity for more than 2-3 months results in getting "disinvited"). Typically, there are about 10-12 active posters.

New members are invite only and LNS posts "auditions" from time to time to recruit new members (both here and on Monte Cook's boards. Once the "auditions" are in, we poll the members to see who might make good additions and those folks are extended an invite. My suggestion would be to watch for the next "open call" (I might be able to help you out a little there) and submit evidence of your Rat Bastardliness!

Check out this recent open call:

RBDM Open Call

~ Old One

Old One

First Post
Check out above post...

Darklone said:

Would sign an application at once too. If I could sign anything right now.

Darklone -

What did you do to your hand? Hope you are on the mend! Check my reply to QB for info on the RBDM Club...

~ Old One

Old One

First Post
Hee, hee...

Lazybones said:
He... lives? After all that debate and speculation about who in the party would fall?

Not an undead monster?

Not cursed to return from beyond the grave, given motive force through dark powers so as to walk again and rend all living things asunder?

And you call yourself a RBDM... :D:D:D

Seriously, though, great post, and another great cliffhanger! Looking forward to seeing how this all resolves,
LB

LB -

Thanks for stoppin' in...I wanted to swing back and answer some commentary before things got too far away! I have inflicted a fate far worse than undeath on Rose...more plot hooks:D!

~ Old One

PS - I must admit that I did enjoy all the speculation! Kudos to my players for keeping a straight face through it all...

Old One

First Post
Lela, MW, P of H, DocMoriarty, Dougal, Broc, et al...

For brevity's sake...

Just wanted to thank all of you (and anyone I missed) for your continued readership, for following the story so closely, for great insights and for the occassional awesome idea!

I am glad you enjoyed the "Return of Rose" plot twist and I hope to provide many additional opportunities for speculation in the future! I really enjoy this campaign and writing the story hour, but your loyal readership and frequent commentary give me a tremendous charge and inspire me to new heights!

Thanks again!

~ Old One

Darklone

Re: Check out above post...

Old One said:
What did you do to your hand? Hope you are on the mend! Check my reply to QB for info on the RBDM Club...

~ Old One

Hah, my players always leave the group, that's enough qualification? ;)

Just noticed that I wrote someone I cut my hand... not actually cut the whole hand, just got some bad glass cuts on a finger (one inch long and down to the bone). Got it stitched and they are still looking for glass splinters. RBDM club: Heck, if they only look for 48 hours, then I got not much chances to apply :)
Will try though next time... If I didn't scare all players away till then.

Old One and group: You are overtaking my favorite fantasy books since several months. Best stuff I read since years. And I read a lot.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Old One:

Thanks for the detailed RBDM Club explanation. It's unfortunate that I missed the most recent recruitment drive, but I'm on DM hiatus until June anyway (letting others cultivate their skills) so perhaps I'll garner an invite next time 'round :).

Keep me posted on the open application period please -- my little guys make it hard for me to spend large amounts of time cruising the Boards endlessly. Speaking of which, Griffin is doing great thanks for asking as always!! Also, Jake has started tee ball again and our team (I coach) looks pretty formidable :cool:.

Take care, my friend. I'll keep watching for updates.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Quickbeam said:
Also, Jake has started tee ball again and our team (I coach) looks pretty formidable :cool:.

[brief hijack]

That brings back great memories, Quickbeam. BTW, I met the guy who plays Speaks With Stone in my campaign, when we played tee ball together. That was 25 years ago, this summer.

For the record, Speaks was a MUCH better tee ball player than I was. I spent most of my time in the outfield (almost nobody could hit the ball that far) looking for four leaf clovers and thinking up ideas that I would someday turn into nefarious plots in my roleplaying games.

Wow, nostalgia city!

[I now return you to Old One's campaign.]

Valavien

First Post
Lurkers

Thanks for the praise Old One, I considered myself et al, not that I contribute much!

I haven't read for a couple of weeks (again), which was really lucky for me as I had stopped reading when I learned that Rose had 'died', so I didn't have to endure a few weeks of cliffhanger to realise he was actually alive woohoo!

I tend to mostly read every second friday if not everyday because that is when the game I am playing is on - it helps me getting motivated and fired-up for 'role' playing. Tonight we are switching games from OA to WOT I decided to play my fave class a ranger - Woodsperson in wheel of time. How do most of you people play rangers and their variants. This one is a real archery specialest (as usual).

Can't wait for the next updat :D

Since we are at 14 pages, maybe now is a good time to create a new one?

Last edited:

Remove ads