• This is the Greatest Story Hour Ever!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Very Good! It is Among My "Top 5"!

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • It is Entertaining! I Recommend it!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Nice Try, But Not My Cup of Tea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Sucks! Stop This Drivel Immediately!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Lela

First Post
Oh, gosh!! That is a good idea! Lew actually went with that? How, surprising. I assume you gave a circumstance bonus to the intimidate roll? Very nice.

Well, I took Darklone's plan and ran with it. We now have a thread devoted to the Lela Awards© complete with poll. Be sure to take a look, should you find the time. We're going to have a blast.

Really looking forward to what happens next! I've sent Old One my guess on what is going to happen. If I'm right it would really ruin the suspense for everyone else. [insert errie music]

Lovin it Old One, as always.

Vuron

First Post
Maybe the death he refers to is that of an important NPC like Drusila?

Regardless it would seem that they are too poor to afford raise dead even if that is an option in the game.

Quick comments:

1) While sometimes splitting the party especially in urban settings has quite a bit of versimilitude it does seem like the party is prone to running off half cocked alot ( which is the natural inclination of heroes of course)

2) The sorceror by nature and inclination seems to be the one headed for the leadership feat at the current time, I wonder what sort of cohort might be most useful (at the current time either a cleric or tank seems the most useful concerning the party's tendency for bad luck)

3) Considering the success of the wolfhounds in the militia captain's backstory I'm actually quite surprised that the party has not considered the purchase of a couple of well trained wolfhounds to help them in thier adventures.

4) I find it somewhat interesting the free market "reds" are the lovable faction while the authoritarian "greens" are the evil faction. Does this show a degree of bias concerning economics in the DM?

Having read the storyhour thus far I think that we can expect to see more interaction with rival neutral parties like the aristocratic adventuring band as their status as the rightful heroes of the region are slowly threatened by these poor hillbillies ie the PCs.

The PCs have also managed to get themselves enmeshed in the machinations and politics of people beyond thier scope. Perhaps the PCs will soon need to fully explore the knowledge of Drusila. Especially before one or more of them become romantically involved.

Questions)

1) I assume the pendant worn by the gnoll/aristocrat has not been correctly dealt with or identified. Definitely a plot hook waiting there.

2) I am guessing that magic is intensely personal in your campaign I wonder if the party were to describe the pendant worn by the regenerating zombie if elder clerics or mages might recognize it's type and potentially it's manufacture.

3) The old peddler, his nature is very much in question, he seems benign if not completely altruisitic. Perhaps he is subtly arming the party against his enemies? He is almost definitely not quite human. I suspect that the dwarves, gnomes and elves might walk amoung the humans in other shapes ;)

4) Finally, it seems the party has tried to remains free of entanglements with greater factions, perhaps it is time for them to make conscious decisions about what path they want to pursue and join with people that can give them assistance and information neccesary to acchieve those ends, even if they mean losing some of thier own personal freedom?

Old One

First Post
Session 15 (Part Two)

Big Trouble in Shadowblade Land

Rosë found himself teetering precariously on the edge of a 10-pace deep pit that measured 3 paces by 3 paces. As the well-oiled trap door swung slowly back into place, the Brigante noted his erstwhile prisoner impaled on a forest of sharpened stakes that lined the bottom of the pit, unseeing eyes staring accusingly at him. Lew’s hand helped steady the barbarian, who slowly stepped back from the trap. Unreasoning fear sprang into the priest’s mind, ‘Pits…why does it always have to be pits!’

Drusilla wormed her way to the fore and crouched low, examining the outlines of the impediment. In the chamber beyond, a glowing brazier stood in one corner and geometric tapestries lined the walls. Two overstuffed armchairs, a divan and a pair of small tables completed a comfortable sitting room. Another double door stood opposite the one the party now crowded around. This one, however, had four ornately carved faces, arranged vertically, cascading down each side. Drusilla, noting the location of the trap, nimbly leapt into the room and flattened against a wall, sword in hand.

“Wait!” Called Rowan.

He plucked Sextus’ arm and the pair descended the stairs, hefted one of the tables and carried it awkwardly back up. They slide the table across the trap door, effectively bridging the obstacle. Everyone but Quintus crossed over into the room and began a cursory search, looking behind tapestries and under furniture. Rosë moved towards the next set of door, reaching out with a scarred hand to open them. The barbarian paused when he felt a light touch on his arm.

He turned to see Drusilla shaking her and motioning him to stand aside. He did so reluctantly as the slender girl carefully examined the intricately carved portal. Impatience caused the barbarian to fidget constantly and he was much relieved when she stepped away from the door and nodded her head. Hefting his axe, Rosë pushed the lever down on the left hand side.

Gouts of flame shot from each of the four mouths, washing over the Brigante and inflicting blistering burns! He howled in pain and frustration, beating at the remnants of the fire to extinguish it. He cast a severe glance towards Drusilla, who was regarding the smoking barbarian with a face reflecting profound embarrassment. She ducked her head and moved to the right side door, repeating her earlier actions.

After she stepped away, Rosë stood to the side, extended his great axe and pushed the lever down while shoving the door hard with the haft of his weapon. The door swung open while flame spewed from the carved mouths on that side. Unfortunately, the barbarian’s position placed him in the arc of fire and his skin blistered once again!

(DM’s Note: As most have figured out by now, Drusilla has some levels of rogue. I rolled a “1” and “2” respectively for her Search rolls on the doors! Rosë had a good idea on the second door, but failed to take into account which way the door opened…ahh, fun with traps!)

The chamber beyond the portal was lit with soft lamplight and seemed to be some manner of study. Several bookcases, each holding a dozen large tomes, lined the walls along with some richly upholstered furniture. A large statue of a regal looking man, dressed as an Emorian officer, stood in the far left corner. A pair of door were centered along the right hand wall, cut from smooth, silvery wood and unadorned.

Wary of traps, Drusilla examined the doorway, stepped lightly into the room and moved to the left wall, looking at the bookcases. Rosë followed, moving carefully towards the statue. Lew, Sextus and Rowan eased towards the doorway. Suddenly, the smooth, silvery door opened away from the party and a trio of crossbow bolts sliced through them, nicking Drusilla and Rosë. Crouched in the doorway, they saw three gray cloaks, with several more shadowy figures behind them. Mad cackling arose from one of the forms.

Quintus crouched at the bottom of the stairwell, peeking into the dining hall. The door to his left creaked and three Shadowblades emerged, crossbows readied. Behind them came a warrior clad in lorica squamata bearing a spatha and scutum. The sorcerer cursed under his breath as one of them spotted him and shouted a warning before he could pull his head from view. The sound of pounding feet rang in his ears!

The elder Scipio was prepared for this eventuality, however. He quickly read one of the scrolls obtained from Valyria (DM’s Note: The ship’s mage of the Sea Eagle) and a pulsing sphere of fire materialized, blocking the doorway. “We have company below!”

The sound of steel ringing on steel greeted his ears as he bounded back up the stairs, taking two at a time. ‘Damn,’ he cursed silently, ‘enemies on two sides!’

The sorcerer’s leg speed could not match the quickness of the bolts launched from the frustrated gray cloaks below. Two quarrels tore into Quintus just before he reached the upper landing, where the angle of the ceiling cut off his enemies’ line of fire. Gasping and reeling, he clambered over their improvised bridge and sagged against the wall, blood flowing down his back. Grimacing in pain, he summoned forth a Shield for more protection against future missiles. Sextus noted his brother’s arrival and condition with alarm and moved aid him.

A roar of challenge heralded Rosë’s descent into battle rage as he hefted his axe and prepared to charge the knot of Shadowblades just beyond the door. Rowan and Lew snapped bolt and arrow towards the trio, but angles and cover prevented any hits. Drusilla yanked out her gladius and pugio as she slid out of the archers’ view.

Rosë hadn’t even begun his charge when a new combatant dashed into the room from behind the crossbowman. The man was short, but heavily muscled and wore a strange mish-mash of armor. A helm in the Berylian style, sans horsehair crest, crowned his head. His torso was unarmored save for a broad belt reinforced by metal studs. Lorica hamata covered both arms from shoulder to wrist and a bronzed greave protected his left leg. His left hand was wrapped in leather strips lined with metal studs. He bore a strange-looking spear, 5 paces in length and topped with a curious twin-tined head.

Rowan took all of this in during the grain or two it took the man to lunge towards the Brigante, hooking Rosë’s great axe between the spear tines and twisting hard. Only the barbarian’s rage induced strength prevented his weapon from being torn from his grasp. Rosë recovered and leapt at the man, sweeping his axe around in an oblique cut. The man crouched low and angled his weapon up to catch Rosë full in the chest.

Quintus, still awash in the warmth of Sextus’ healing magic, gasped aloud as he saw a tine from the enemy warrior’s strange spear actually protruding from his companion’s back. “Go, Sextus.” He said weakly, “They will need all the help you can give them. I will hold things here!”

To Be Continued…

Next: Session 15 (Part Three) – Madness and Mayhem

~ Old One

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Great update, as always, OO! Cool flashback to earlier deaths with the pit trap (I suppose I'd be traumatized too if my party had lost two members to a pit early on). Shouldn't Mr.Fork have a net in his off hand, though? I forget what those gladiators were called, but they make for a cool opponent!
LB

Old One

First Post
Interesting Insights!

Vuron said:
Maybe the death he refers to is that of an important NPC like Drusila?

Regardless it would seem that they are too poor to afford raise dead even if that is an option in the game.

Quick comments:

1) While sometimes splitting the party especially in urban settings has quite a bit of versimilitude it does seem like the party is prone to running off half cocked alot ( which is the natural inclination of heroes of course)

2) The sorceror by nature and inclination seems to be the one headed for the leadership feat at the current time, I wonder what sort of cohort might be most useful (at the current time either a cleric or tank seems the most useful concerning the party's tendency for bad luck)

3) Considering the success of the wolfhounds in the militia captain's backstory I'm actually quite surprised that the party has not considered the purchase of a couple of well trained wolfhounds to help them in thier adventures.

4) I find it somewhat interesting the free market "reds" are the lovable faction while the authoritarian "greens" are the evil faction. Does this show a degree of bias concerning economics in the DM?

Having read the storyhour thus far I think that we can expect to see more interaction with rival neutral parties like the aristocratic adventuring band as their status as the rightful heroes of the region are slowly threatened by these poor hillbillies ie the PCs.

The PCs have also managed to get themselves enmeshed in the machinations and politics of people beyond thier scope. Perhaps the PCs will soon need to fully explore the knowledge of Drusila. Especially before one or more of them become romantically involved.

Questions)

1) I assume the pendant worn by the gnoll/aristocrat has not been correctly dealt with or identified. Definitely a plot hook waiting there.

2) I am guessing that magic is intensely personal in your campaign I wonder if the party were to describe the pendant worn by the regenerating zombie if elder clerics or mages might recognize it's type and potentially it's manufacture.

3) The old peddler, his nature is very much in question, he seems benign if not completely altruisitic. Perhaps he is subtly arming the party against his enemies? He is almost definitely not quite human. I suspect that the dwarves, gnomes and elves might walk amoung the humans in other shapes ;)

4) Finally, it seems the party has tried to remains free of entanglements with greater factions, perhaps it is time for them to make conscious decisions about what path they want to pursue and join with people that can give them assistance and information neccesary to acchieve those ends, even if they mean losing some of thier own personal freedom?

Vuron -

Great commentary! Maybe I can get Quintus (Corey) or Rowan (Tortoise) to comment on some of your keen observations. My own comments on some of your comments...

Comments:

(1) Urban adventures are funny (from a DM's perspective). Parties that would never dream of splitting up in a dungeon scatter to the four winds when they hit the city gate! Although this group did stay together for the most part, they allowed the RBDM to pick them off in pretty short order. Unforntunately, they are pretty good about learning from their mistakes ;)!

(2) This group is actually pretty "Charisma Heavy"! Quintus, Sextus and Brother Lew all have pretty good people skills. That said, I could certainly see Quintus picking up the Leadership feat...it would be pretty natural for his character (assuming, of course, that he lives that long).

(3) Shhh...don't give them any ideas;)!

(4) I have a great love of politics and things financial, although I certainly place myself into the free-trader camp (hmmm, DM bias showing through?). That said, remember that the party isn't real happy with the Sestius family right now!

Questions:

(1) The pendant was actually left around the severed neck of Acrius Sestius when they mounted his head on a stick along the Great Northern Road! They never did find out exactly what it was (although the assumption is that it was some type of scrying focus).

(2) As a DM, I detest "mass market magics", with the exception of low-level one shots like potions and scrolls. I prefer to build an air of mystery and discovery around most magic items. Also, I require a formula for all but the most simple items and such formula must be discovered or researched. A simple description would not be enough to replicate, although a successful spellcraft or knowledge: arcana check might help pin down a function or two.

(3) No comment:D!

(4) I will have to let the party answer that one...I really try to provide the backdrop and then let the party dig their own grav...er, make their own decisions!

Hope those help and thanks for the detailed queries!

~ Old One

Old One

First Post
Thanks, LB!

Lazybones said:
Great update, as always, OO! Cool flashback to earlier deaths with the pit trap (I suppose I'd be traumatized too if my party had lost two members to a pit early on). Shouldn't Mr.Fork have a net in his off hand, though? I forget what those gladiators were called, but they make for a cool opponent!
LB

LB -

Thanks for stoppin' in. I was sure that I was going to get another one with a pit;)! Rose just barely kept from falling in!

The enemy fighter actually has a ranseur, not a trident and they can be pretty nasty on a critical hit (as we will soon see - foreshadowing, foreshadowing).

~ Old One

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I've been a bit bogged down with real life lately too, Old One. Getting older and more responsible is no fun at all.

Well, I see that we still have no confirmed kill by the Shadowblades, but I'm sticking with my prediction that Rose buys it. When ranseur tines are sticking through your chest and out your back, the smart money says you are gonna die.

But then again, I picked Duke to win the NCAA Championship.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Old One:

Great update -- it was well worth the extra two days wait!! It appears that my guess of Rowan becoming the next deceased character is likely incorrect, but we shall see with your next post.

As for our munchkin, he turns two months old this weekend. I simply cannot believe how quickly the time has elapsed...except of course, for the hours between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. when he's been awake. Those occasional nights have crawled by in an agonizing, blur of sleeplessness and messy diapers ;) . Truthfully, though, Griffin is fine and so are we -- I love being a daddy!! Thanks for asking.

Darklone

Darklone hanging from a cliff...

Gotta raise that climb skill... else more cliffhangers will kill me! Ranseurs... ugly weapons. Cool description of the enemy fighter!

Hinting about critical hits... Well, having some things stick out of your back looks to me like something critical :(

Just wondered why Quintus didn't use the shield earlier? Sorcerers often seem to tend to go invisible, shield, mage armour and fly... at the first sign of combat.

About the pit: You could have used a 5ft deep hole with water inside and they would have built a bridge ;)

Well, I go mourning now for the hero we gonna miss dearly.

Vuron

First Post
Hehe thanks for the answers and non-answers ;)

Anyway it does seem like an interesting campaign setting, I wondered if you were using your own d20 economics models in the background to increase the setting's flavour.

If the PCs are bright enough they might start looking at who gains the most from certain economics changes and begin looking suspciously at those people. Of course people can always act in mysterious ways to pin blame on others. Wheels within Wheels you know ;)

Anyway looking forward to more detail about the world and the region specifically.

Remove ads