• This is the Greatest Story Hour Ever!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Very Good! It is Among My "Top 5"!

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • It is Entertaining! I Recommend it!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Nice Try, But Not My Cup of Tea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Sucks! Stop This Drivel Immediately!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Old One

First Post
Greetings All!

We have once again reached our size limit and I am opening another installment to preserve everyone's valued commentary. Welcome to:

Against the Shadows VI - A Faded Glory Story Hour

Recent Installments

To catch the entire saga of Rowan, Rosë, Lew, Quintus and Sextus - along with the dearly departed Marcus Tiro and Garrick - from the beginning, visit: Installment Four

For the updated adventures of the intrepid band since migrating to the New Boards, visit: Installment Five

Older Installments - Subject to the re-opening of the archived boards (all the action is contained in Installment Four)

Installment One (w/commentary): Original Faded Glory Story Hour

Intallment Two (w/Commentary): Second Faded Glory Story Hour

Installment Three (w/commentary): Third Faded Glory Story Hour

Campaign Design Notes and Commentary: Campaign Info

Supporting Sites

The Faded Glory Campaign Website, maintained by O'berton, can be found Here - It is currently undergoing significant revision, so please bear with us!

Another great Faded Glory campaign, run by Rel, can be found Here

Many Thanks!

~ I would like to thank all of the loyal readers and lurkers for their support, readership, commentary and ideas - your presence inspires me to continue

~ I would like to thank my fantastic players whose antics inspire and amaze me

~ I would like to thank Morrus and the other volunteers that keep EN World running

Final Thoughts

Stay tuned for further adventures as the PCs face not only the dangers of the Faded Glory world - but the Table of Elemental Evil and a charter member of the Rat Bastard DM's Club (tm)!

Readers and Lurkers - Please take a moment to vote in the new poll

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

~ Old One

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Session 14 (Part Three)

Twenty-One

Quintus cursed as he saw a trio of reddish bolts slam into Rosë. He ducked behind the partially opened double doors and clawed at his laden belt for a scroll case. Drusilla sailed past him, gladius and pugio in hand, seeking to tumble around the mass of enemies surrounding the barbarian just past the threshold. Lew, who could just see into the room, closed his eyes and began a rhythmic chanting.

The Brigante roared in pain and anger as the arcane bolts slammed into him. He vented on a lightly armored Shadowblade, sending the sallow-faced young man hurtling backwards in a welter of blood and brains. His place was taken by two more gladius wielders, eager to skewer the barbarian. The very number of Rosë’s opponents hampered their effectiveness, however, as they jostled and bumped each other in their eagerness to get to him. His most serious opposition was a trio of warriors clad in lorica squamata, bearing spathas and further protected by scutums, angling in on the barbarian’s left flank.

One of them pivoted and thrust at Drusilla as she sailed by. The spatha punched through her light armor and dipped a handsbreadth into her midsection. Her momentum tore her free from the blade, but she landed in a heap with blood pumping from the gaping wound.

(DM’s Note: I use a house rule that adds the BAB of the person you are trying to tumble around to the tumbling DC and rolled really bad for Drusilla. The resultant AoO was a critical hit.)

Quintus found the scroll he was searching for and stepped into the doorway, shouting the final words of the spell. A flickering ball of flame, one and a half paces across, erupted next to the enemy mage, searing him with flames. Whatever fell magic the Shadowblade wizard was calling forth sputtered and died as the man frantically sought to extinguish his flaming robes. Quintus grin widened as Lew finished chanting behind him and a pair of badgers, bearing the tell-tale bluish-white aura of Osirian, appeared behind the enemy battle line and tore into Rosë’s opponents.

(DM’s Note: During the rescue of Rosë, Sextus, Lew and Rowan, Quintus “liberated” an enemy spellbook and several scrolls. The party traded the spellbook to the ship’s mage of the Sea Eagle for a cache of low-level scrolls.)

Drusilla slumped against the wall, holding her entrails in with one hand and fumbling in a pouch with the other. She fished out a crystal vial, pulled the cork stopper out with her teeth and sucked down the opaque liquid inside. The powerful healing draught immediately closed her hideous wound, restoring her to full health. Finally arriving on the scene, Rowan and Sextus charged past Lew and Quintus, smashing into the enemy’s right flank.

The arrival of reinforcements gave Rosë the distraction he needed and his arcing blade flashed between the helm and armored shoulder of one of the warriors, shearing through the man’s neck and leaving it hanging by a mere thread of flesh. Several of his opponents recoiled as their companion’s gore spattered them. The Brigante, his face resembling a horrific red mask, grinned a wide grin.

The enemy spellcaster tried desperately to evade Quintus’ Flaming Sphere, with little luck. Although the mage did not torch up as the sorcerer desired, the flames prevented him from concentrating on anything but self-preservation. The holy badgers tore into the Shadowblades, although one was quickly dispatched. Lew readied his staff and moved forward to support his friends. Rowan covered Rosë’s right flank and Sextus passed the barbarian on the left, swing his dual gladii.

He countered the attack of one Shadowblade with his off-hand blade and struck the man solidly in the midsection. Drusilla, undeterred by her earlier mishap, tumbled under the man’s desperate cut, stood up behind him and thrust her sword through his kidney. She flashed the bard a quick grin then spun away, seeking other foes. Rosë’s axe sent another victim crashing to the floor and Rowan severely wounded another. The Shadowblades, so confident a dozen grains earlier, began to waver.

Quintus, dissatisfied with the effect of the Flaming Sphere, ceased concentrating on it and prepared to cast another spell. The wizard, momentarily free of the blazing ball’s attention, raised a slender wand and sent another trio of bolts slamming into Rosë, staggering him. His malicious grin of satisfaction was erased as Quintus returned the favor with two Magic Missiles of his own. The mage stumbled, crying out in pain.

Sextus leaped forward, adding to the wizard’s pain with a gash along his ribs. Then Drusilla was there again, dodging past the mage’s clawed hand and driving one of her blades through his left lung. The doomed man’s eyes widened as he looked down to see the point of her gladius protruding from his chest, then they rolled back into his head as he collapsed in a heap. Sextus cursed under his breath, ‘That’s two kills she has stolen from me!’

The combined pressure of Rowan, Rosë and the remaining badger splintered the half-dozen strong Shadowblade line. The second of the armored warriors fell to sword and axe and several of the gray cloaks turned to flee. Quintus paused for a moment, noting that the chamber they were fighting in was some type of training room, with archery butts, practice weapons and stuffed dummies lining the walls. The irony of the battlefield brought a wane smile to the sorcerer’s face.

He counted several exits from the room, including a huge set of double doors across the room. Several of the Shadowblades broke for that portal as the line gave way. Quintus shouted at Lew to follow him and sprinted around the remnants of the melee in pursuit. The remaining warrior and a pair of gray cloaks stood their ground, hacking at Rowan and Rosë.

Sextus and Drusilla moved in tandem, angling to cutoff the fleeing enemy. Quintus paused and summoned forth a Sleep spell. The magic had minimum effect as only one of the Shadowblades slumped to the ground. The trio that remained turned before the large doors and prepared to meet the onslaught of the companions. Rosë and Rowan each dropped one of their foes. The ranger left the last man to the barbarian and raced towards the knot battling before the portal.

The concerted efforts of Sextus, Drusilla, Lew and Quintus quickly dropped one of the gray cloaks, but the other two used their companion’s sacrifice to slip through the doors. Behind them, the Brigante’s axe smashed through the defenses of his final opponent. Howling with glee and tongue hanging wolf-like from his mouth, Rosë sprinted forward.

Rowan saw the last pair of gray cloaks slip through the slightly opened doors. Without breaking stride, the woodsman hit the narrowing opening and burst through, yelling madly. A grain after Rowan disappeared into whatever room lay beyond the doors, Quintus heard the shouts and cries of renewed combat!

To Be Continued…

Next: Session 14 (Part Four) – Fateful Decisions

~ Old One

PS – The title of this installment – Twenty-One – will make more sense next time ;)!

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!

GHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't take the pressure. You truely are RBSL!!

Aw, well, now for the commontery.

I like that house rule you have about tumble. It really is nice. I've been trying to figure out how to handle that for a while. Yoink, one more thing stolen from your campaign by yours truely.

The fact is that we are a session behind. The death happened in the next session (15). Unless Old One has done one of his trademark cliffhangers at the end of a session, it won't be this battle that will result in death.
But, I'm not betting on that possibility. Based on everything that was said in the last thread ("We're going to kick your butt" by Tortise--among other clues), I'm going to say that Old One did have one of his trademark cliffhangers. I'm still going to say that

ROSE

was the one who bit the dust. You see, he is rushing into the room severly injured, still enraged, and will be coming out of it (Rage) fairly soon. Should he be nocked out, he will most likely die right off. All it will take is to be nocked to -4 (or -5) HP (depending on his current Con) and he's out.

Anyway, now that I've rambled on for quite a while, I wanted to ask Old One again if he could e-mail me whatever you can on Bonded Weapons. I'm considering incorperating them into my campaign (if I'm ever able to run it). ;)

Looking forward to the next glorious installment,

Last edited:

Re: SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!

Lela said:
GHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't take the pressure. You truely are RBSL!![/B]

I second the hell out of that. Posting an update WITHOUT getting to the part where one of our beloved heroes dies!?!?!? RBSL extreme!!!!

Originally posted by Lela I like that house rule you have about tumble. It really is nice. I've been trying to figure out how to handle that for a while. Yoink, one more thing stolen from your campaign by yours truely.

You hear that sound? It's me performing a second YOINK right after Lela's first YOINK. Love that house rule!

Originally posted by Lela Looking forward to the next glorious installment,

Aren't we all, Lela, aren't we all. I'm tired of inventing new ways to say this campaign and story hour rocks, but it does. Oh lordy it does. :)

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Yeah, what he said.

That's right PoH, it rocks, it rolls, and (Will Smith type voice) it will nock you down.

Let it be known that I hereby nominate this Story Hour as Best Story Hour of the Year for the Lela's Choice Awards©. The voting will be done democratically. One man, one vote. I'm the man, I have the vote. If there is a dispute, I'll ask my good friend Valgrath to mitigate.
The one and only nominee is this story hour (Against the Shadows – A Faded Glory Story Hour).

The winner will be announced after we find out after we discover who had the misfortune of falling pray to the Table of Elemental Evil. Stay tuned.

Darklone

Re: Re: SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!

Pillars of Hercules said:

Aren't we all, Lela, aren't we all. I'm tired of inventing new ways to say this campaign and story hour rocks, but it does. Oh lordy it does. :)

I can only agree. Congratulations to yet another cliffhanger... Ah, btw, YOINK!

Think that tumbling was too weak how we used it (tumble check gave you AC against AoOs).

About who bites the dust... Now: No idea. Rose might be in the middle of hell, but he would not be the first barbarian to enter combat halfdead and leave combat halfdead... Now it can be anyone. Depends on the enemies. One good fighter lvl6 and a player is toast.

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Darklone, Lela and P of H...

Thanks for stoppin' by and checking out our new home, everyone:D!

I must admit, I am a RBST! I should have the last installment of Session 14 up tomorrow and then we will move onto the fateful Session 15, followed by an even stranger twist!

To show you how evil I truly am, I won't even give any hints as to what the twist may be, but it involves maniacal laughter, makeshift bandages and carved faces...

~ Old One

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Re: Darklone, Lela and P of H...

Old One said:
To show you how evil I truly am, I won't even give any hints as to what the twist may be, but it involves maniacal laughter, makeshift bandages and carved faces...

~ Old One

I knew it! This whole thing has been an elaborate plot by the evil Cassuvius Stepmother to get a facelift!

My powers of prediction are without parallel.

Remove ads