D&D 3E/3.5 Ageing in 3e

Junkheap

First Post
Just wondering if ANY creature or items or anything for that matter in 3e actually ages you?

In a campaign i am playing, i am a dwarven cleric10/contemplative8. Btw the adventure being played right now is Bastion of broken souls. Either way, just wondering what the point of the contemplative 9th level ability is? It give you immunity to the negative effects of aging but not the positive effects.

In all my years playing we have never gotten to middle age OR old(vunerable). There is nothing to age you in 3e(as far as i know). Is this just another 2e afterthought? I mean, i don't know if it makes sense with the contemplative class, but its like giving a charm the pants off anyone ability. Doesnt do anything, but tis there.

And just being a little evil with my character but, can i miracle an aging process to middle age? Is there such a thing as magical aging/natural aging in 3e?

AND WHEN WILL THE DAMN 2nd PRINTING OF DOTF COME OUT?!!?!?2nd printing meaning the errata, which which most likely be a redo of almost the whole book.

Thanx guys.

Tiberius

Explorer
There's a ghost dragon template in Monsters of Faerun whose breath weapon ages the target by d%, IIRC. Maybe not d%, but something similarly nasty. Other than that, there are no aging effects other than time in anything WotC has produced. The "immunity to aging" ability that some classes get seems to be a solution in search of a problem, much like the Regenerate spell. Which is why I've brought back aging effects and the Sharpness weapon enhancement in my game. :)

-Tiberius

Al

First Post
In Relics and Rituals, a spell known as Pass the Years ages by d10 years. But you're right, they did take out a lot of the magical aging (most poignantly from the ghost).

Caliber

Explorer
Part of the reason aging was removed (as far as I understand) is that if affected Humans to a much greater extent than Elves.

Sure an Elf could cast Haste all day. That +1 year older doesn't bother him too much. If a Human did it 10-20 times, half of their lives are already gone.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Note also that they've removed the potion of longevity, and the elixir of youth. Adding unnatural years becomes very nasty if there's no way to reverse the damage.

Tiberius

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
Note also that they've removed the potion of longevity, and the elixir of youth. Adding unnatural years becomes very nasty if there's no way to reverse the damage.

True, but that's what spell research is for. If the players don't care enough to seek out cures for what ails them, then that's their problem. :D

-Tiberius

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
By negative effects, they mean that the character keeps going up in INT/WIS/CHA bonuses with each new age category, but doesn't lose any STR/DEX/CON as most characters do...

Junkheap

First Post
AmerginLiath said:
By negative effects, they mean that the character keeps going up in INT/WIS/CHA bonuses with each new age category, but doesn't lose any STR/DEX/CON as most characters do...

Yea thats the cool part, so since i am a cleric, i wonder if there is any way to induce aging.

Darklone

We had some characters that started with aging penalty and boni.

That Rituals&Relics spell is very ugly if you start casting it on your pet dragon.

(Gnhihihihihihihi, anyone wanna buy dragon eggs?)

Remove ads