Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just released their first 2+ minute promo

That definitely confused me, but everything else that was fried was metal. Maybe the stove blew? Maybe they just wanted to throw a body into the mix and so threw their own logic out the window?
It's possible they where exposed to the alien metal environmentally and it killed them. Those that can become inhuman are immune to that effect.
[edit]
The cocoon remnants makes sense as well.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Took a good look in the first couple of minutes of the show. RangerWickett is right; empty cocoon, hand-print melted into the steel stove. Looks like he only effects metal.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
See I knew that last part would happen. HOWEVER. I was under the assumption the Terrigen crystals they used weren't harmful to humans.

I think that's a false assumption. I think we have never seen a normal human exposed to terrigen mist or crystals who has not been harmed by them.

It is an interesting way to get "mutants" into the Marvel cinematic universe in greater numbers without having issues with the X-license.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Go clarify about the terragene. The show directly states that the harmful metal sank to the ocean floor and was removed as a result. The show directly states that normal humans are unharmed by exposure.

Thx!
TomB

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I think that's a false assumption. I think we have never seen a normal human exposed to terrigen mist or crystals who has not been harmed by them.

It is an interesting way to get "mutants" into the Marvel cinematic universe in greater numbers without having issues with the X-license.

it may be just me but I think the 'Half-Alien GMO weapon" approach is the least satisfying way to get "mutants" into the Marvel cinematic universe. It ties things too directly to aliens and just seems limiting to me, but then with Thor being an Alien, Avengers and GofG, it looks like the MCU is going that direction anyway so it should all pan out.

of course they are introducing magic, so perhaps things will change

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
it may be just me but I think the 'Half-Alien GMO weapon" approach is the least satisfying way to "mutants" into the Marvel cinematic universe.

Well, they *can't* do "mutants", per se. The license prohibits the simple, "human born with mutated genetics" thing.

It ties things too directly to aliens and just seems limiting to me

In the standard Marvel comics universe, the Celestials meddled with proto-human DNA to enable the genetic flexiblity that allows for humans with superpowers, creating the Eternals and the Deviants in the process. The Kree then come along and use that to create the Inhumans. It is the Celestial meddling that allows Marvel mutants and "altered humans" (like the Hulk, Spider Man, and Captain America, who have innate powers) to exist.

So, I don't see it as much of a stretch - it isn't really any more limiting than what's in the comics universe. It also allows for plausible introduction of some of the elements from the mutant lines,recast - mutant detection and suppression of powers can now be keyed off of alien/manufactured DNA, rather than the "X-gene" of mutants, and then enable all the racism-stories that mutants used to carry.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Umbran,

All I know is Inhumans aren't mutants. Mutants (as you kind of pointed out) were a Celestial experiment that went off the rails (see Apocalypse/En Saban Nur and Franklin Richards, thank you very much.) Inhumans are all Kree induced. In this instance, within the MCU, Inhumans aren't necessarily as 'mutant' powered so much as 'alien DNA exposed to specific circumstance". This reminds me of the recent Uncanny X-men run where Maria Hill said something to effect "I can handle Doctor Doom, Alien invasions, hell even superheroes fighting each other. It's that one goddamn mutant with the power to level planets that wakes up his power and actually DOES that, which scares the hell out me. Nick Fury said the same thing. He was right."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So, I don't see it as much of a stretch - it isn't really any more limiting than what's in the comics universe. It also allows for plausible introduction of some of the elements from the mutant lines,recast - mutant detection and suppression of powers can now be keyed off of alien/manufactured DNA, rather than the "X-gene" of mutants, and then enable all the racism-stories that mutants used to carry.

Strangely enough I'd be far more comfortable with the Celestial storyline than I am with the Kree. The Celestials fit directly with the gods are really hyper-advanced extradimensional aliens canon established for Thor and so allows for the existence of god-magic and suspension of disbeleif. From what I remember of the Eternals weren't the Celestials pretty much based on the Greek Titans - Kronos and Uranus? The "gods" being an extradimensional race works for me, whereas the Earths superheroes are alien science experiments doesn't.

but hey, maybe its just me:)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All I know is Inhumans aren't mutants. Mutants (as you kind of pointed out) were a Celestial experiment that went off the rails (see Apocalypse/En Saban Nur and Franklin Richards, thank you very much.)

The Celestials weren't really putting the experiment on rails. They came along, meddled, and left us to our own devices, *knowing* what the results would be, in general - the potential for mutation was intended, not an unforseen side effect. Apocalypse was *intended*, actively maintained by the Celestials. They generally want to see things like Franklin Richards. The Celestials intent is to shepherd the creation of ever more powerful races.

Inhumans are all Kree induced. In this instance, within the MCU, Inhumans aren't necessarily as 'mutant' powered so much as 'alien DNA exposed to specific circumstance".

The point is that both are ultimately based on the work of Celestials, which created the potential for powers in humanity. Mutants are a natural modification that unleashes the potential, while Inhumans are an engineered modification that unleashes the same potential.

It's that one goddamn mutant with the power to level planets that wakes up his power and actually DOES that, which scares the hell out me. Nick Fury said the same thing. He was right."

Yes. Now, note that Black Bolt, leader of the Inhumans in the comics, has the capability of destroying a planet if he wanted to.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases