• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Agents of SHIELD low figures?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I stopped watching it because it was boring and the characters flat. The civilian hacker was bleh and they favoured her at the expense of the only interesting character - The Cavalry. Whats worse the show couldn't work out whether it was a 'action' show (which is where having The Cavalry more prominent would have worked) or a secret agent/espionage show (which it did badly if at all - it could have been more Person of Interest maybe?). It was too much chasing McGuffin of the week with no suspense or purpose and no real tie in to the Marvel universe.

With Gotham and the Flash coming onstream, it looks like DC has won the TV market, with Arrow doing Comic book TV right including the awesome DC name-dropping game and a no/low powered first season building up to more super weirdness in season 2 and 3(?). Moreover Felicity does a much better job of Hawt Nerd than the Fitz-Simmons duo and Diggle is a more interesting ex-Soldier than Ward.

Felon

First Post
Y'know, many shows take a while to hit their stride. Angel was pure crap until the middle of its third season. Then, almost out of the blue, they stopped relying on glib banter and trying to impress us with how self-possessed everyone is, and how unconditionally supportive they were of each other. Characters started to express themselves through actions rather than smarmy dialogue. This is a good thing for audiences, because it makes the audience sit up and pay attention, because they don't actually know with utter assurance what everyone's going to do next.

TLDR: Angel got better because they realized there is more to character relationships than dialogue.

Needless to say, SHIELD's writers could stand to learn a thing or two. They need to stop building scenes around what characters are going to say to each other, and more about what they're actually going to do. Figure out what characters are going to *do*, and save the dialogue scripting for very last. And if you have characters who aren't going to do anything interesting, then what is the point of them?

And if the show's going to have supervillains, then somebody needs to figure out what to do with them besides snipe them with some kind of anti-power formula crafted by the eggheads. That is going to get old real fast. In fact, it already has.

monkeykenobi

First Post
I stopped watching it because it was boring and the characters flat. The civilian hacker was bleh and they favoured her at the expense of the only interesting character - The Cavalry. Whats worse the show couldn't work out whether it was a 'action' show (which is where having The Cavalry more prominent would have worked) or a secret agent/espionage show (which it did badly if at all - it could have been more Person of Interest maybe?). It was too much chasing McGuffin of the week with no suspense or purpose and no real tie in to the Marvel universe.

With Gotham and the Flash coming onstream, it looks like DC has won the TV market, with Arrow doing Comic book TV right including the awesome DC name-dropping game and a no/low powered first season building up to more super weirdness in season 2 and 3(?). Moreover Felicity does a much better job of Hawt Nerd than the Fitz-Simmons duo and Diggle is a more interesting ex-Soldier than Ward.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you say it seems to have little tie-in to the Marvel Universe.
I love Arrow because it throws in so many easter eggs like the Kord Industry building, things on busses and mention of other characters ( Dr Light...)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think you hit the nail on the head when you say it seems to have little tie-in to the Marvel Universe.
I love Arrow because it throws in so many easter eggs like the Kord Industry building, things on busses and mention of other characters ( Dr Light...)

Don't mistake "tie-in" with "easter egg". The latter is just a nod to a fan. The former is a major plot point relevant to the movies or comics.

Easter eggs are only relevant to folks who are already fans of the original property. They don't really impact the experience of the mass market. And the series, if it survives, will have more hours of content than the rest of the entire cinematic universe. They'll want the movies to tie into the series, not the other way around.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I must admit that after this thread I went and watched the first 2 season 2 episodes on demand and I enjoyed them:)

edit - moved the rest of my thoughts over to the actual series discussion thread:)

Last edited:

Remove ads