D&D 4E AICN 4e Review Part 2: DMing 4e

MarkAHart

Explorer
Clavis said:
I've read the review, and it sounds like the writer is suffering from Embedded Reporter Syndrome. Whenever people are granted exclusive access to something, it creates a feeling of comradery and belonging...

Except, of course, embedded reporters are in the midst of life-and-death combat situations, getting to know and even bonding with men and women risking their lives. In addition, reporting negative news, weaknesses, etc. from a combat situation can be construed as harmful to unit morale, and providing aid to the enemy. These elements have a lot more to do with this syndrome than merely feeling spiffy by being a part of something special and/or exclusive.

eleran said:
Hey Mouseferatu, any chance you are the freelancer mentioned by Massawyrm?

You know, I initially wasn't going to say anything about that. For some reason, people are fine with him saying there's a freelancer in his group, but as soon as you put a name to said freelancer, people start shouting "Bias!"

Watch. I bet it comes up at least once, if not here than on another board.

But yes, I'm the freelancer in question.

FickleGM

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
You know, I initially wasn't going to say anything about that. For some reason, people are fine with him saying there's a freelancer in his group, but as soon as you put a name to said freelancer, people start shouting "Bias!"

Only if it's your name. ;)

Bias! :p

Seriously, his review has me pumped and has pulled me from slightly positive to I will buy 4e when it comes out. Ooh yeah!

TheSeer

First Post
Clavis said:
I've read the review, and it sounds like the writer is suffering from Embedded Reporter Syndrome. Whenever people are granted exclusive access to something, it creates a feeling of comradery and belonging. People feel like they are co-soldiers, or in this case, co-designers. Consequently, they become disinclined to report negatively on anything, beacuse it feels like a betrayal. Its why the military embedded reporters with units during the invasion of Iraq, for example. The Pentagon knew that that if they made the reporters feel like they were part of the units they reported on, there would be no Vietnam War-style negative stories. Smart marketers know that as long a product isn't totally awful, they can create positive buzz by granting a select few people pre-release access. The real reviews will be written by people who have no psychological investment in the quality of 4th Edition. For now, I feel justified by history in not putting too much stock in the reporting of officially-sanctioned insiders.

Uhm...wow....just...wow...

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
All this goes to prove is that you don't read AICN regularly.

Massawyrm is one of their regular movie reviewers. He's frequently among a select few who get to see a movie early--sometimes months early. He attends insider parties. He talks with filmmakers at all levels, from no-name locals to Quentin Tarantino.

And he still gives as many negative movie reviews as positive ones.

To suggest that he's suddenly feeling any obligation or emotional pressure to give extra-positive weight to D&D of all things--which has no bearing on his career whatsoever--when he's clearly never given in to any such pressure from being part of the "in-group" in his actual job, is just silly.

I take it he's your Ref. I recognised the trick with the table in the bar.

eleran

First Post
Mouseferatu said:

Sorry to out you like that. I cant put my finger on what it was that told me you were the freelancer. Might have been the tumble under the table to take out 2 guys.

eleran said:
Sorry to out you like that.

Ah, no problem. It's not like it's some high-grade secret. ;) Anyone who knows me IRL, or who follows my LJ friends list, knows that I know him.

And besides, I could have chosen to ignore the question.

I cant put my finger on what it was that told me you were the freelancer. Might have been the tumble under the table to take out 2 guys.

Could well be it. :)

Remove ads