• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airplanes With Glass Wings A Possibility

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
So metal that acts like glass? Are we talking about Transparent Aluminum here? Now where did they park those nucular wessels again...?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A couple things:

1) "glass" does not necessarily equal transparent.

2) A metallic glass could have notably different properties than the original metal (like quartz crystals have different properties from quartz glass).

Metallic glass is not exactly new. My undergrad physics advisor worked with them, and they've been around since 1957, and some types are already mass-producible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Yep Amorphous metal isn't really new, the uses have just been limited by production constraints. Ever since that crew at Oak Ridge managed bulk amorphous steel I've been hopeful. It has extremely interesting properties if it can only be produced in sufficient quantity.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nah. He's playing Spot the TV-referance game.

Actually, the phrase has been around for a long time.

I've seen academic references to it as early as the early 1990s, and I recall some comedian using it in the 1980s.

It has definitely been said by Yogi Berra, but I can't tell you when.

It was also a quote from Angel Heart (1987).

I'd be surprised if it wasn't used by Phillip K. Dick or Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., but one actual attribution of the quote I can find by an author is to Arthur C. Clarke.

But the oldest attribution of it I can find?

"The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be."
Paul Valery (1871 - 1945)

Like Picasso said "If you're going to steal, steal from the best."

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Actually, the phrase has been around for a long time.

I've seen academic references to it as early as the early 1990s, and I recall some comedian using it in the 1980s.

It has definitely been said by Yogi Berra, but I can't tell you when.

It was also a quote from Angel Heart (1987).

I'd be surprised if it wasn't used by Phillip K. Dick or Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., but one actual attribution of the quote I can find by an author is to Arthur C. Clarke.

But the oldest attribution of it I can find?

"The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be."
Paul Valery (1871 - 1945)

Like Picasso said "If you're going to steal, steal from the best."

:hmm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads