Airship questions (Eberron and otherwise)

haiiro

First Post
Does anyone know if rules covering Eberron's airships -- including, say, aerial combat, construction guidelines, and deck plans -- are forthcoming?

I know that there are at least two existing supplements on airships in D&D: Aerial Adventure Guide: Sky Captain's Handbook (From Goodman Games) and Airships (from Bastion Press). From the reviews I've read, either would be useful for tackling at least the aerial combat end of things in Eberron. Are there any other similar books out there?

For those who have both AA and Airships, how do they compare to one another? Are the aerial combat rules in one superior to the other?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

Crazy Hedgehog

First Post
I have "Airships" by Bastion Press, and compared to AA I think it is the better buy. However, if you go strictly by the rules presented, then designing your own airships is a lot of work. Expensive as well. If you're just wanting some guidelines or rules for combat, I remember Dragon Magazine 294 had some basic vehicle combat rules, including flying things. This might have been expanded in another sourcebook, though not in any I have. It does look like the airships in Eberron are going to get (hopefully) some more coverage, maybe the upcoming Explorer's Handbook? Hope this helps. Oh wait a minute, talking about magazines, Dungeon did an update of Spelljammer, with some 3E rules for flyin ships. That was (he checks pile of old magazines)....Dungeon #92.

I have both Airships and the Spelljammer issue of Dungeon. The former is a bit more detailed for what you're talking about. The latter focuses a lot more on interplanetary adventure and ship control, etc. The Goodman book from the reviews I read is more focused on adventures. I'm hoping to get the collected book sometime, but I'd recommend Airships for your purposes.

Klaus

First Post
Indeed, details on the various modes of transportation in Eberron are to be adressed in The Explorer's Handbook. Don't know if there wil be any air combat rules, though.

haiiro

First Post
Crazy Hedgehog said:
If you're just wanting some guidelines or rules for combat, I remember Dragon Magazine 294 had some basic vehicle combat rules, including flying things.

Oh wait a minute, talking about magazines, Dungeon did an update of Spelljammer, with some 3E rules for flyin ships. That was (he checks pile of old magazines)....Dungeon #92.

I had completely forgotten about these, and I have them both. Having taken a look through them, it seems like they'll work for at least a little while -- until the PCs are higher in level, and aerial combat becomes more likely. ;)

I also remembered that there's an Eberron airship deck plan in Whsipers of the Vampire's Blade, so that'll come in handy as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations -- and anyone else who wants to weigh in, I'd love to hear from you! :)

toberane

First Post
haiiro said:
I had completely forgotten about these, and I have them both. Having taken a look through them, it seems like they'll work for at least a little while -- until the PCs are higher in level, and aerial combat becomes more likely. ;)

I also remembered that there's an Eberron airship deck plan in Whsipers of the Vampire's Blade, so that'll come in handy as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations -- and anyone else who wants to weigh in, I'd love to hear from you! :)

I'm glad you mentioned the Vampire's Blade adventure. I have that one, but I haven't looked through it much, and I'm getting ready to run an adventure that starts on an airship. A few changes to the mid-level deck plan and it will work perfectly (It needs to have a section in the middle that is like a "Coach" section on an airplane, for the cheaper seats.)

Storminator

First Post
I think those airship deck plans are available on the WotC site.

There's also Barsoomcore's Hot Pursuit rules from RPGNow. It's not really airship rules, but it worked well for my air battles in Sharn.

PS

haiiro

First Post
Storminator said:
There's also Barsoomcore's Hot Pursuit rules from RPGNow. It's not really airship rules, but it worked well for my air battles in Sharn.

From the blurb, that sounds like it might be pretty handy, and I never would have noticed that one on my own!

Ghostwind, some of the deck plans on Bastion's site are fairly cool -- thank you.

Remove ads