• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Shackled City IC

Zarust

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Didn't realize how far behind I had fallen. Will try to cut and paste my way to catching up.[/sblock]

The Alley
As Simon's gesture caused the carnival clown to race to the other end of the alley, Goran's index fingers extended on both hands as he saw that none of the circus performers had any real desire to pick on a single priest.

Once the battered priest reached the safety of their gathering, Goran could not stop himself from making one last volley their way.

"That's right! Run you dogs, but Cauldron isn't big enough for you to hide from Kord. We will find you!"

Turning back to get a good look at the man, Goran's eyes are drawn to the symbol around the man's neck. While on the surface it appeared to be a standard marker of St. Cuthbert's faithful, Goran knew that it marked him as one of the brothers who focused on keeping the faithful untainted in heretical thoughts and practices.

He can't be long in the faith if a group of clowns almost got the better of him.

Trying not to think about the serving wench in the Tankard, Goran extended his hand to the priest in greeting.

"I'm Goran. Sorry to see those circus freaks decided to take out their frustrations on you."

As Ruphus introduced himself to the others, Goran kept his eyes out in case the clowns brought more of their kind out of the alleyways and side streets between them and the Church to St. Cuthbert.

The Church
Goran's posture did not relax until they reached the steps of the temple and as he read the writings above the oaken doors, he smiled to himself. While it had been three years since the day he first demanded entrance into the Temple of Kord, he could remember it like it happened to him this morning.

"And look at us now. Joined at the hip and I can't get you out of my head for more than a handspan of time. I wonder sometimes if you are just that bored."

Chuckling to himself, Goran looked over to Simon and nodded his head.

"Kord says it is right we are here. The strong must defend those who are still too weak to defend themselves and no group of circus clowns will keep us from helping find children. He also says wash your hands, anything that can make a man run from a simple wave must smell like a goat's arse." BWAH hahaha

Patting Floch on the arm once everyone was inside, Goran nodded to the mammoth half-orc with a smile on his face.

"Kord says you did well tonight lad. Now lets hear what they have to say and the first round is on me."

As the High Priestess came into the room, Goran felt his mouth go dry as he saw the same markings on her symbol as Ruphus wore.

No wonder the Cuthbert folks around here look so pissed. They are always looking out for heretics...

"Lead the way. Ruphus mentioned something about those clowns wanting some kids? I know that the street performers take on many of the youth who fall through the cracks, but I never thought they would get so bold as to start taking them before they fall."

[sblock=ooc2]Also if I am playing Goran too annoying, please let me know. With him being touched in the head, I am trying to find the right balance between rational thought and his quirk which is "talking" directly to Kord. Since he is so used to being alone with his thoughts, anytime he isn't directly socially involved, I figure that is when it kicks in. I really don't want to be annoying with it though, so please let me know if I need to tune it back.[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Keth sniffed the tea warily, it lacked the pungent odor he had come to associate with the tea his teacher used to brew. He sipped it experimentally, tasted better though even if it was kind of weak, and it warmed the gullet too. While they waited, Keth studied their surroundings, it all seemed awful excessive to him, and he wondered why they needed all of this ornamentation. Surely their god didn't love them anymore for ripping the stone from the ground to make him pretty buildings, at least it was dry. He had alot to learn about their ways outside of the forest.

Not being given over to deep thought he was welcome when the woman with the greying hair entered the room. She seemed to carry herself with more presence than the other priests had. Having heard her request, he shrugged and stood to follow her. Maybe there would be a few more answers.

Simon makes an obeisance as he enters the temple, whispering a quiet prayer. "...and give me the strength I need," he concludes softly.

Standing again, he hurries after the others....

He savors the tea, letting the warmth wash through him and enjoying the peaceful aura of the temple. He stands and bows as Jenya enters, and cheerfully agrees to accompany her.

"Anything I can do," he assures her, his voice booming through the church, "I happily shall."

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

Alexi gave a respectful bow, when the high priestess addressed them.

“Why not, I would like to hear more about this.”

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Zarust]It's not incredibly odd to see that all the clerics at this church are from the Order of the Stars. Usually, when a church is founded by an order, all the clerics who are trained at that church are members of that order as well. Cauldron being on the fringes of civilization, it would be more likely to recruit and train its priests locally than bring them from other places. Far to the north in the city of Greyhawk and the likes they have grandiose churches where multiple orders and branches within the same church cooperate or compete within the same municipality, but out here, religious "inbreeding" is far more likely.[/sblock][sblock=Strahd]Jenya's story about the orphanage below is correct. Of course, you know more details. Everyone, including you is in utter shock that the whole event occurred. It happened without warning and without sign. There was no evidence of a burglary or that the children had even been missing from their beds. No sign of a struggle. No forced doors or locks. You feel particularly bad because you were even awake most of the night patrolling the grounds. You neither heard nor saw a single thing. It's almost like the children disappeared into thin air.[/sblock]
(Moving back in time for just a moment...) Ruphus thanks Floch kindly for taking the time to return his prayerbook.

*****​

Jenya moves to sit in a chair with your group. She is apparently quite comfortable sitting among you rather than across from you.

"Goran isn't it?" Jenya asks the dwarf. "Vos ili ransko uhr oris."[sblock=In Dwarven]May your beard be as eternal as the stones.[/sblock]"Ruphus tells me you and your friends were quite brave defending him against the ruffians. Again, let me express my gratitude to you. You are quite noble for stepping in to aid someone you didn't even know. Few others in this city would have done so, especially where these thugs are concerned. Ruphus tells me they wore face paint, which means they probably work for a gang called the Last Laugh. I don't know much about them, but I know they're trouble.

"I don't think the children were kidnapped by Last Laugh though. This is only the latest in a series of bizarre disappearances and robberies. Up until now, the Church has been content to rely on the city's normally stalwart law enforcement to deal with the problem. However, three nights ago, four children, named Deakon, Evelyn, Lucinda, and Terrem were kidnapped from the orphanage. In the wake of these recent kidnappings, the Church has publicly vowed to locate the missing children and bring the kidnappers of justice.

"I have so far taken a few steps towards accomplishing this goal. First, I have talked with the city guard to glean what information they were willing to share. Second, I sent Ruphus to console the distraught children and staff at the orphanage, but also gather information. Third, I used an artifact in the Church's possession to divine some information.

"What I have learned is that the orphanage was apparently burglarized with no signs of forced entry. There are two common bedchambers at the orphanage; one for boys, the other for girls. Two children were taken from each room, but none of the staff or other children heard or saw a thing. The orphanage is protected with barred windows and excellent locks on its doors, and the children are locked in their rooms at night as they have a tendency to cause mischief or run away.

"What may be more telling is a riddle I received by utilizing the Star of Justice, the artifact of which I just spoke. It is a powerful tool of divination that I borrowed from the Church's vault. It is only to be used in an emergency, but I feel that this situation is justified. I asked of it 'Where are the children who were abducted from the Lantern Street Orphanage?' I received only a cryptic riddle. I wrote it down so I would not forget. Perhaps you can help."

With this, she hands you a piece of parchment (see handout).

"I believe the first line holds an important clue. I'm uncertain what the 'locks' in the riddle refer to, but I suspect it may be referring to those at the Lantern Street Orphanage. Of course, I don't know the first thing about locks anyway, so I couldn't begin to tell you what to look for. I haven't told Ruphus about this as I felt it would complicate his mission. I believe you might be up for the job of helping me to investigate this crime. My question to you is, can you be fairly discreet and promise to keep me informed at least once every three days of your progress?"

Attachments

• scap_ph_sojr.JPG
    scap_ph_sojr.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 94

Floch

Floch nods to every word Jenya said.
Yeah, and I was there, guarding the yard, halls and corridors of the place.
They just vanished, no scream, no call, not even a weep.
I checked the locks, I searched the yard. Nothing!
By Istus’ fate, it was the fate, a magic, act of the gods. I donno’ know...

I will help my lady. This is my duty to find them. They were my friend, good friends of Floch.
Floch hand grip tightly.
I will punish those who took my friends, bring’em to you my Lady.

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

“The locks are key to finding them. ... do we know who made them? Maybe there are more keys for the locks? This would not explain, how they managed to do this without waking anyone, however.
Look beyond the curtain, ... no idea ... below the cauldron. ... under the city?
Beware the doors with teeth. ... uhm.
Descend into the malachite 'hold, where precious life is bought with gold. ... a mine? Slavers?
Half a dwarf binds them, but not for long. ... no idea about the dwarf, but apparantly we need to hurry.”

Zarust

First Post
Surprised that the High Priestess would single him out with a greeting when they gathered in one of the temple's smaller audience rooms, Goran's mind raced for a proper response in turn.

In dwarven:"Vos uli trani es hur gurak."

[sblock=translation] "May your days be as pleasant as your eyes."[/sblock]

As the words left his mouth, Goran realized how they could be taken and looked down to his boots to examine the spot he was willing to form. As she continued speaking to the group, Goran allowed himself to resume looking about the room and when the slip of paper was passed to him, he read it quickly.

"Floch is there a back entrance to the orphanage? One that maybe only a former resident would know? If so, that might could explain how they got in and got out unseen."

Passing the paper onwards, Goran's mind raced as to what the last line could mean.

A half dwarf...one of the souls who has fell to the dark gods? Or perhaps one of the Dark Children, forever damned to suffer the All Father's shame.

"In the eyes of my people, there are many ways to be considered walking dead, but I have never heard of it being used outside of a jest. It does seem though that our time to find them is very limited."

Oni

First Post
Keth shifted uncomfortably in his seat, he was beginning to feel out of place amoung all these people. He reminded himself that he had been sent from the forest for a reason. It did not seem like mere chance that he should find himself here at this particular moment. Never having met these children he felt a small kinship with them, being an orphan himself. There was purpose in this.

Keth mulled over the riddle, he wasn't fond of riddles. Locks, keys, and curtains. What did it all mean?

Should look at the locks.

He thought for a second.

That, and this curtain bit. The rest won't mean much if the first two lines aren't solved.

Keth added matter of factly.

I believe the spirits of earth and stone have guided my steps here with purpose. I will help you.

Simon strokes his beard, nodding to himself. "There are locks and locks," he observes. "Locks with keys, locks of hair...were any such left behind? And as to 'below the cauldon', that seems clear enough. Are there catacombs 'neath the city?"

Remove ads