• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Shackled City IC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The locks were the same.

The gnome lets out a discernible puff of indignation as he responds, "As I've already explained, that's hardly a coincidence. I make practically all locks in the city."

"...There are people missing and while the Brawler would normally step aside and let those who follow the Cudgel find the guilty parties, they have taken children and this is something that neither the Brawler, nor myself, will allow to go unchecked."

"Questions fine," the gnome says, "but if you have any thinly veiled accusations like him," at this he points to the dwarf who has befriended Floch, "then you can take them elsewhere. I haven't done anything wrong."

"...But is there anyone in this city to you knowledge that could perhaps challenge your creations?"

"If you mean to ask if there are any other locksmiths in town then no, I'm the only one and have been for thirty years. Only other place to get locks of any passable quality around here is in Sasserine, but I doubt people wish to make a weeks-long journey for such a thing when I can make it in a few days. I admit I'm not the best locksmith in the world though, so sometimes I do order locks of the highest quality from Sasserine. However, the only people who have ever purchased those from me are aristocratic folk like the Taskerhills or the Lord Mayor for city vaults."

Oni

First Post
Keth looked at the rough hewn dwarf holding out his hand as though he wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to do in this situation for moment before finally grasping his hand and giving it a firm pump.

I'm Keth.

With that he turned back to the tall gnome. Keth scratched his chin in thought.

You keep copies of keys? You know in case the originals are lost.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"As I was saying before you arrived, I have no need for copies of keys or skeletons keys or such. I can fashion a key for any of my own locks within a few hours at the most if a customer needs a replacement. And no, I don't do house calls for thieves. I keep a record of everyone who purchases a lock from me so I would know if someone asked me to fashion a key for a place that didn't belong to that person."

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Floch]The gnome is being unusually defensive about the whole issue of the locks and going into far too much detail in his explanations. You suspect he may know more than he is letting on, but you are unsure of what that may be.[/sblock]

Simon shakes his head, and begins to wander the shop as the gnome speaks, peering into corners and lightly stomping on floorboards, running a finger across the row of hanging keys as if to study the jungling noise this motion produces.

He makes no pretense at subtlety. Never does, really.

"Your worksmanship is incredible, Master Ghelve. You've an eye for this, sure as sure. I've never seen the like. Can't imagine how anyone local might be able to crack a lock such as yours, in truth."

[sblock=OOC]
1d20+2=16 Search.
[/sblock]

Hey, you are too much defensive.
Floch raise his voice toward the gnome, he feels confidence with all the people around him
I have a feeling that you are hiding something!
He then eyes the curtain.
What do you hide over there?

Rhun

First Post
Baelor grins as Floch challenges the shopkeeper. He liked this half-orc's style. But the dwarf just conitnues quietly smoking his pipe.

Oni

First Post
Keth frowned.

I was only thinking that someone else stole keys from you, but I guess it couldn't be that from what you've said. No need to be defensive, I think you're just making my big friend here suspicious. Maybe we could see your list of customers, I bet that would clear things up and get us out of your hair.

The halfling scratched his neck in thought for a second.

Hey I don't suppose you'd be able to tell if anyone had been tampering with one of your locks, or how they might have gotten through it, by taking a look at one?

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"...Can't imagine how anyone local might be able to crack a lock such as yours, in truth."

"I wish I could say my locks are unpickable, but alas such is not the truth. Still, some are more secure than others. You get what you pay for. I have high quality locks and low quality locks. It depends on how secure someone wants to be, or can afford to be rather. Excuse me, are you looking for something?" he cocked his eyebrow as he notes Simon paying meticulous attention to details.[sblock=Bohemian]The keys come in various shapes and sizes and are made of various materials. The place is also quite homey. But you don't notice anything unusual.[/sblock]

What do you hide over there?

"Hide?" the gnome asked, his look one of combined shock and perplexity, "Uh, why that's only my storage room. I also happen to live upstairs. And no, you can't go poking around. It's not open to the public."

...Maybe we could see your list of customers, I bet that would clear things up and get us out of your hair.

"I'm sorry that is absolutely out of the question. Unless you represent the law, I am not going to violate my clients' trust."

Hey I don't suppose you'd be able to tell if anyone had been tampering with one of your locks, or how they might have gotten through it, by taking a look at one?

"Why yes, I usually can, but as a matter of fact I've already checked this dwarf's locks. They're fine; never been tampered with."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads