Alais Primos or Methia?

efreund

Explorer
I'm a little confused about the events of the Great Malice. Or rather, the locations involved.

In the Player's Guide, as well as the Vekeshi handout, it states clearly that Srasama was killed at the walls of Alais Primos. This event is described as a great catastrophe, so great that all who were present turned into devas .. and a dead magic zone erupted over a thousand miles away in Methia?

The player's guide goes on to describe Methia thusly: "Danor’s historical capital of Methia lies abandoned. Though Danorans reject superstition, even they cannot help but feel uneasy in these ruins. Nothing grows there, wild animals stay out, and even in the height of summer a chill breeze blows under overcast skies." Why?

The first couple times I read through the setting, I presumed that Srasama died while attacking Methia, and her death caused a supernatural explosion that caused Methia to become cursed, hundreds of miles around it to become dead magic, and a hundred miles beyond that wild magic. Like a big magical crater as a result from killing a goddess. That all "fit" in my mind.

But now I'm confused. What happened in Methia? Did anything correspondingly shocking happen in Alais Primos when Srasama died? (Other than deva creation?)

I'm less looking for the "real" answer and more the conventional-wisdom answer. How do I explain the discrepancy to the PCs when they succeed a Knowledge check or ask a historian in Flint about it?

Elfshire

First Post
(SPOILER-FREE VERSION)

I'm not sure if it's spelled out in the Player's Guide (so it might not be common knowledge in-setting), but eventually the players discover that during the battle where Srasama appeared, the Clergy was maintaining an active Linked Portal ritual in Methia, in order to observe the battle. Hence, when Srasama died, she was able to take revenge at the capital directly, her divine curse lashing back through that portal.

hirou

Explorer
Methia was the capital of old Crissiliur, whereas Srasama was killed at Alais Primos, since that was the furthest eladrin were able to advance. It is only logical that Srasama's last curse was aimed at the heart of the nation that killed her. For the record, I disagree with Elfshire here, I don't think that a divine figure of this power need an active portal to aim her wrath. (And yes, I've read the whole campaign)
The exact place of her death... It wasn't much more spectacular than a gigantic fireball explosion. I guess you could add as a less known rumor that the weapons Srasama used did not disappear with her. Some were recovered by Clergy, some saved by eladrins, some vanished in the confusion, allegedly stolen.
Btw, if you were wondering about First Victory, it is only mentioned in passing in the following adventures, but the confirmed fact about it is that the first war between Elfaywire and Crissiliur ignited after eladrin assassins murdered a divine angel, which permanently advised the Clergy since the times of Triegenes himself.

Remove ads