Alaska or bust...

Bendris Noulg

First Post
(Most likely bust.)

After spending the last two years living in 3 regions of the world I've come to dislike immensely, my wife and I have decided that we miss (and thus desire to return to) Alaska. Problem is, with the economy in a slump, we've barely managed to do more than avoid bankruptcy. Determining our finances, and the fact that our lease is up at the end of the month, we think we can get to Kansas City and set camp there until we collect a bit more jink to make another push in that direction.

So, I've come to the Toxic Waste Dump to ask the question:

How would you transport yourself, a spouse, and three kids to Alaska (from Florida, no less!) super cheap? And preferably fast?

(Also, our internet account is being terminated on Wednesday; Any replies after that day will likely not be noticed unless I manage a dial-up during the following two weeks, which isn't likely since we've always used DSL and only have cell phones.)

So, any suggestions, or am I likely SOL?

Krieg

First Post
Bendris Noulg said:
How would you transport yourself, a spouse, and three kids to Alaska (from Florida, no less!) super cheap? And preferably fast?

I would sell all non-essential items, cram everything else into the truck w/a rented trailer & drive it (if need be I would lean on friends/family for temporary storage of the few essentials that can't make the trip). Keep the tent & sleeping bags accessible & turn the whole thing into one long camping trip. The kids will love it.

Galethorn

First Post
Now, obviously, I'm not the one to ask (since the furthest east I've been is the western part of eastern washington, the furthest south I've ever been is mexico, and the furthest north is somewhere halfway up vancouver island), but I'll give my advice...

You'll need packmules to carry rations, and maybe horses for the kids to ride...the hardest part is going to be getting over the rockies. From there, you can probably make it to seattle, and take one of those new-fangled steam-powered ships to alaska...then the gold will be there for yer takin'.

Now, since that's the best advice I can give, you ought not to listen to me...

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Krieg said:
I would sell all non-essential items, cram everything else into the truck w/a rented trailer & drive it (if need be I would lean on friends/family for temporary storage of the few essentials that can't make the trip). Keep the tent & sleeping bags accessible & turn the whole thing into one long camping trip. The kids will love it.
Now that's got some appeal to it. Have to give this some thought.

Galethorn said:
Now, obviously, I'm not the one to ask (since the furthest east I've been is the western part of eastern washington, the furthest south I've ever been is mexico, and the furthest north is somewhere halfway up vancouver island), but I'll give my advice...

You'll need packmules to carry rations, and maybe horses for the kids to ride...the hardest part is going to be getting over the rockies. From there, you can probably make it to seattle, and take one of those new-fangled steam-powered ships to alaska...then the gold will be there for yer takin'.

Now, since that's the best advice I can give, you ought not to listen to me...
ROFL!!!

Yeah, I probably ought not listen to ya, but it was a good laugh anyways.

Thanks!

alaska would be great. The kids make it real hard though.

The main thing you need is money. The only honest way to get money is work (barring lotteries, begging etc).

Perhaps the kids can stay with a relative while you and the wife move to Alaska and work two or three jobs each until you get the finances settled?

That will be real hard to do, I know. your wife will probably not like the idea at all... being their mother and all.... but that is one of the first things I would think of.

1. Reduce your expenses.
2. Increase your income.
3. Make your dream happen.
4. When it is realized (i.e. you own a house and have a stable income) the kids can join you.

Although it will be tough, it can also be a motivating factor to help get you (and your wife) out of bed each morning. Work as much overtime as you can and think about your kids the whole time. It will help keep you focused and determined.

Besides that, I don't know what fields you work in and what sort of jobs are available in Alaska, so I can't offer any more ideas.

I can, however, wish you good luck.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Well, your wish is gladly accepted, but likely not coming true. Generally, the only person I trust with my kids (my brother) probably couldn't handle them, and the one that could handle them would likely use the opportunity to snag custody from us (my mother).

As is, though, it looks like we'll be moving to Topeka, Kansas, instead. It's about 1/3 the trip, and we know some people that can hook us up with better employment then we've found here in Florida.

(Besides, you probably really wish I'd get my life back together and write that thing I told you about. ;) )

Thanks for the advice, though, folks. I'll be back in 6-7 months when I convince my wife it's time for another push north.

Shouldn't the job market in Florida be easy? I mean, half the population is over 60 (and 70% of all statistics are fabricated), so the workforce I'd think would be in high demand. I mean, sure, one of my friends who graduated with a marketing degree is working in Florida at a Toys-R-Us, but I'm surprised you can't find anything sufficient. Is Alaska that much cheaper?

Could you take out a loan? $10,000 ought to be enough to get you to Alaska and give you a few months of rent.

Krieg

First Post
Good luck and make the best of it.

While it sounds like times are tough, in some ways this is an adventure that most folks will never get to experience.

Enjoy it as best you can and make it into something your kids will remember fondly.

Until next time...

(Besides, you probably really wish I'd get my life back together and write that thing I told you about. )

Eh???

.... oh! ;)

Didn't recognize you at first!

Don't worry about that, I haven't been working on it either (despite what my sig says)

Bendris Noulg said:
Well, your wish is gladly accepted, but likely not coming true. Generally, the only person I trust with my kids (my brother) probably couldn't handle them, and the one that could handle them would likely use the opportunity to snag custody from us (my mother).
Yikes! That sounds like complications I wouldn't want to mess with.
BN said:
As is, though, it looks like we'll be moving to Topeka, Kansas, instead. It's about 1/3 the trip, and we know some people that can hook us up with better employment then we've found here in Florida.
If it were me, I wouldn't leave until I had a job already lined up, but maybe I'm just more risk averse than you are. I mean, my wife and I'd both like to move back to Texas big time, but even life in freakin' Detroit isn't all that bad, so we're sticking it out. Although we're taking a pretty long, extended vacation this summer. Much to the detriment of my hobby spending, I might add.[/QUOTE]

Remove ads