D&D (2024) All about Ardlings

How animalistic are ardlings?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Exactly. My issue with WoTC regarding the Ardlings is that they are IMO overlooking the Aasimar, who have been the Tiefling's counterpart since 2e Planescape. I have heard that 1D&D might keep them along with the Ardlings. But if you wanted a furry planetouched individual, you really don't need to look farther than the Guardinals as their planar ancestor.
The Aasamir are in Monsters of the Multiverse, which is a OneD&D book. The Ardling is doing a different thing, filling a gap for players that WotC feels is PHB worthy.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Don’t blame me blame the 14 year old girl that wants to play an anthropomorphic skunk swordswoman. And she wanted a tail and non damaging non climbing claws (so just slightly different fingernails)
I have no idea if this comes from a comic an anime or her own twisted mind.

14yr-old? Probably a variation on Marvel Comics' Squirrel Girl... She's hugely popular right now.

1661502922189.png

Although there is also another older Marvel character named Hepzibah (a member of the Starjammers) who's literally an alien anthropomorphic skunk who does sometimes use a sword...

1661503201199.png

Yaarel

He Mage
Okay I know that an upside down pentagram can have a variety of meanings beyond satanic, like the Horned God and the dominance of the material world over the spiritual for example,
but what's your issue with the other symbols?

The upside down pentagram star pointing downward essentially means the four elements of nature (air, earth, fire, water) oriented away from spirituality (ether) and toward materiality without spirituality.

The upside down cross is actually the symbol of Peter, the student of Jesus. Early Church tradition stated that the Romans crucified Peter upside down.

The double-cross over infinity is the chemical symbol for sulfur. Any reuse of the sulfur symbol is idiosyncratic and anecdotal, such as for the socalled Leviathan Cross or Cross of the Satan.

The upside down pentagram star pointing downward essentially means the four elements of nature (air, earth, fire, water) oriented away from spirituality (ether) and toward materiality without spirituality.

The upside down cross is actually the symbol of Peter, the student of Jesus. Early Church tradition stated that the Romans crucified Peter upside down.

The double-cross over infinity is the chemical symbol for sulfur. Any reuse of the sulfur symbol is idiosyncratic and anecdotal, such as for the socalled Leviathan Cross or Cross of the Satan.

Very interesting stuff. The Leviathan Cross does work on multiple levels, as a symbol of Sulphur the smell of sulphur is linked to the infernal in a lot of fiction, the Leviathan Cross is also created by te Knights Templar who were accused (most likely unfairly) of worshipping Baphomet, and the Church of Satan borrowed the symbol. I can see why they'd use the symbol, fairly or unfairly.

Also the Cross of Peter is interesting, although most none Catholics or Orthodox Christians wouldn't know about that accociation, only about the Church of Satan one.

The Leviathan Cross

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases